first flight on the Nucleon

Great stuff Dave, how would you summarise the difference between the two wings?

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks Al, they could not be more different, the Revo2 was a 23 wich was very light in comparrison to the Nuc 31, I think the revo was so easy to launch it made me a bit lazy, a bit of forward movement and a short pull on the As and it would pop straight up, the Nuc however requires a lot more work and an entirely different techniuqe.

unfortunately due to crap weather we have had I have not had the chance to ground handle it much to get a feel for it, add that to the fact the last time I flew was at the start of the year and it brings home just how important staying on top of things is.

it dont take long for you to loose that "feel" you have biult up over time.

I cant really say just how different they are in the air as it was only a short flight just to check everything was set up right for myself and my motor, break line lengths etc, but it certainly felt more "slippery" in the air, more reactive to break inputs.

The glide caught me out too, the Revo would drop like a stone as soon as you came off the throttle whereas the Nuc seemed to want to fly forever.

More ground handling is needed I think, next time I fly it I will start to explore what it can really do and hopefully get to grips with it a bit more.

but just from this short flight I can already feel the performance potential over the Revo.

one things for sure, I wont be burning nowhere near the amount of fuel I was using on the Revo.

No wonder you feel like the Nuc will glide forever its 4 sizes larger than the Rev. The Rev2 23 is 70-100kg pilot weight vs a Nuc 31 120-145kg.

Have you really put on that much weight :oops: or were you just flying the Rev over the weight range?

Revo 2 23 is 70kg to 160kg

http://www.flyparamania.com/index.php?i ... ew=article

The Nuc is 120kg to 165kg

http://www.dudek.eu/en/paramotor-ppg/nucleon.html

I am 143kg flying weight :D

Hi Alan, I made the same change over a year ago and fully agree with Dave's summary - especially the difference in glide (from less than 1:1 to over 8:1 is a big difference) :wink: The Nuc still feels heavy to launch and needs a firmer technique (and correct trim setting) but is actually just as easy once you get used to it.

Once in the air it feels much more solid yet also more responsive and agile - needing less input to produce more dynamic turns. Trimmers, speedbar and tip steering are suddenly a joy to use instead of a chore and it just seems to do everything so much better.

Only drawback I can think of is the non waterproof fabric that Dudek uses, oh, and the fact they have brought out the Nucleon WRC version and I've got no cash left to upgrade mine ...... :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, had my second flight on the Nuc last night from canewdon, am really starting to get to grips with this wing now.

was a lovely glassy eveing with hardly a bump in the air, flew for around an hour and only came down because it was getting dark :D

did some low level stuff across the fields, I was really surprised just how nimble and responsive the nuc is for a 31 metre wing.

good times :D:D:dive:

Good to hear of your 2nd flight Dave :)

I've not flown a Nuc but I'm guessing it has a really 'solid' feel as does the ReAction. So not surprised it feels good in the air

For those that don't know the Nucleon is the progression from the ReAction wing, putting more of the speed range onto the trimmers so less on the speedbar.

Cheers, Alan

PS It's too hot over here for flying, it reached nearly 42° yesterday :shock:

Good to hear of your 2nd flight Dave :)

I've not flown a Nuc but I'm guessing it has a really 'solid' feel as does the ReAction. So not surprised it feels good in the air

For those that don't know the Nucleon is the progression from the ReAction wing, putting more of the speed range onto the trimmers so less on the speedbar.

Cheers, Alan

PS It's too hot over here for flying, it reached nearly 42° yesterday :shock:

Al, dudek market the wing as a reaction clas glider, so anyone like yourself who flies the reaction would feel right at home with it, although unlikely, if you are ever in my neck of the woods, or I in yours you are more than welcome to take it for a buzz around, I think you will like it :D

What the right technique to take off the nucleon in nill wind

???

For me,

Trimmers, I leave them on the normal neutral line. I find that if you put them any lower the wing will tend to hit 45deg and hang. In this setting you will find the wing comes up nice and fast right over head where you want it.

Lay the wing out, set up for a normal forward launch. I grab all the a`s and make sure the steel clips are all lined up. Then when ready take two or three steps back. Think to yourself we`re going to do this and run like hell when the wing gets over your head.

The reason I say this is in the neutral setting the wing will come up really nice and almost pause once overhead but if you do not run during this pause bad things will happen.

After that when you run a little the wing will fall back a bit, hit the power and a-way-you-go....