What size of speedster?

Hemberg

Hi

I like you am on the coast. I always used to come in on full slow, I agree the landings are slow and controlled on the speedster but there is a much better feel and 100% more flare authority when coming in on full fast. The brakes are harder to pull and do have to be used presistly. Full fast landings will help out when conditions are light and variable as you can land down wind and still have good energy to flare.

Don't go straight to full fast for your first landings. Raise you trimmers one finger at a time if the landing is good then next time do two fingers then so on and so on untill you get to full fast. once you have done it you will not go back.

Regards

Mark

Sussex paramotors

Morgy, forgot to ask you. Being in full reflex and pulling the brakes for full flare is a no-no correct? I believe in all reflex this is against the rules. The Dudek will fold right up if you do this.

In the Ozone manual they don't talk about this with the speed.... But in issue 26 they say it should be avoided.

I have a Nucleon 29 and Speedster 28 and land both of them full fast (trims open) with no problem.

It's a much safer way to land IMO once you get accustomed to the increased approach speed. Airspeed = lift when flaring.

The advice is not to use brakes on full fast as it deforms the reflex profile therby reducing any advantage gained.

Comp pilots do their low level taks on full fast and speedbar steering with tips AND brakes. ALWAYS have brakes in your hand at low level so you can flare in case of engine out.

The biggest advantage is in landing in windy conditions. It avoids the wing lurching forward near the ground as you come through the wind gradient.

Many new pilots break cages / frames / ankles as they cannot properly round out the wing on landing as their arms aren't long enough when landing on slower trim.

Hi Buel

Yes in the manuals they say do not use brakes with trimmer out as it deforms the reflex profile. BUT as luke stated all comp pilots use brake and tips while in a slalom task.

I was talking about Landing!! I come in full trim with tip's and brakes in my hand.. I use more tip to turn and then use the brakes to flare... I was not talking about flying around in general with brakes and tip's..... BUT i DO use tip's and Brakes when i am throwing it around... I am not say everyone should do it or am i saying you can do it on other wings... Michel carnet comes in on full fast on his nucleon all the time and i have never seen his wing fold up!!! :D

Check out this video...... http://vimeo.com/41292230 Manual says NO there top Pilot???? He does it! 1m05s

regards

mark

Edited by Guest

Thank you will give it a try , I have landed on the white line a couple of times but then the wing floats forever , could be fun on full fast .

Hi

you will find it will have a big ground rush on full fast but then as you aplie the brakes it wil start to float on and on just like on the white line (take off) but you HAVE to bleed the speed off otherwise you will be running like a nutter... Do it in small increments and get used to it before going higher up on the trimers.

You will not go back i promise you :wink:

Regards

Mark

Luke nice quiver! lol

Morgy, You have my curiosity I`ll jump over to the dark side and give it a try. So far with the speed I`m not sure why you need it. I grab the top of the break and that baby has a ton of flare authority. I freaked the guys out last flight by pumping the brakes and descending almost straight down. You need the glider on full slow with at leas 10-12kns in your face though.

Nice glider so far. I hope to get all the family stuff done and strap her on for a rip this afternoon. Maybe I can catch a sunset.

Where have you been? don`t say work.... no one hear believes that :mrgreen:

if your 80k and fly light the 26m is a gem.

Be very careful with that pumping the brakes and coming down vertically. (forgive the patronising comment but this forum has wide readership)

Pilots have inadvertantly stalled wings like that on approach to a hill. A thermal hits the wing just as you're on the down stroke of the pump and bang FULL STALL.

I have used this technique before but it is a bad habit and can bite.

Hope you get on with faster landings - let us know how it goes.

Luke