What size of speedster?

Hemberg

I'm getting more and more interested in the speedster.

Today I use a fusion 26 m2 for paramotoring. It's a nice glider, handles well. But it's not very efficent. Sink rate is a bit high.

I like to thermal with the motor once in a while and I would also prefer slightly lower rpm on the motor to reduce noise, so next glider is going to be a bit bigger I think.

What I'm not sure about it the top speed of the speedster. I was thinking of a 28 or maybe 30 m2 speedster. I don't need a super fast glider, but I want at least 55+ km/h at full reflex full speed. Can I expect that?

my hook in weight is about 120-125 kg with motor and fuel and so on.

what size should I aim for, 28 or 30?

Did you read the thread I posted? Have a look.

Nuc / speedster

You are a little more them me (I'm 80k naked 115, heavy).

And depends what your looking for. I`m going top end for motor and mid for free flight. I have a 29m nuc for XC with motor.

I should get mine in 2 weeks or so. It`s in Canada now... :(

Just need to get it carried to Brazil. Sounds like the 28 would be perfect for you.

Also there is another good thread "Ozone Speedster" great info in there.

T

Go for the larger wing if you're keen on thermaling. 55kph should be fine at the weight you stated. A larger wing is better for landing and taking off, lower revs/noise and better fuel efficiency.

The larger Speedster wing also has a better EN test - 3 B's and 1 C, compared to the 28 size which has 4 B's and 2 C's. This may also be an important consideration if thermaling.

Richard

Yes I've read all the threads.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a 28, I'm a bit worried I loose too much agility if going larger, but I haven't test flown any and there aren't any around here so I can't say.

I've got an ozone delta for free flying and I like that one, it behaves in a way I prefer when it comes to stability. I hope the speedster behaves similarly.

Hi

I fly a 28m speedster but i am lite on it 115kg My ave top speed is 54kmh It thermals well at this weight and i am very economic. I have two mate's that also fly Speedsters one on a 28m at 125kg all up and the other on a 30m he is 100kg's + and flies a bailey V4 he has to be all up 145kg's and still thermals well and is very fast 60km+

Make sure you do get a demo even if it means you have to travel to do so....

Yes I've read all the threads.

At the moment I'm thinking of getting a 28, I'm a bit worried I loose too much agility if going larger, but I haven't test flown any and there aren't any around here so I can't say.

I've got an ozone delta for free flying and I like that one, it behaves in a way I prefer when it comes to stability. I hope the speedster behaves similarly.

Let me know how your test goes. I'm really interested.

T

Ah, ok.

Yes, I should have mine in a few weeks. I will post a review for sure.

I must say I was out for a flight this weekend in some nasty air. On the landing approach trim on "0" I was getting bounced around so bad I could barely keep the glider going straight.

Wind tips on the Nuc where coming in and out like a hooker through a hotel door. But the Nuc moved through this air like no body's business. The guys on the ground where amazed at the stability of the Nuc in this air. I wanted to let the trims out and run through this air again but didn't have the balls lol. Once was enough to make areas of my body go tight!

I hope the Speedster has this type of stability. I'll let you know lol

I also hope to get it up to the mountains for a free flight run too.

Have you guys interested in the speedster looked at the Cert? Here is the two glider I own

First the Nuc

Nuc 29 5b"s

Speed in straight flight B

Behaviour in a steeply banked turn B

Symmetric front collapse B

Recovery from a developed full stall B

Big ears B

Control movement C

Asymmetric collapse C

B-line stall C

Second the Speedster

Speedster 26

2 b's

Behaviour in a steeply banked turn B

Speed in straight flight B

3 c's

High angle of attack recovery C

Asymmetric collapse C

Big ears in accelerated flight C

Take away Big ears in accelerated flight, man how close in the speedster to a over all B? It has a sea of A's

Most gliders have A on most of the entries. It's usually asymmetric collapse and front collapse and such that makes them higher categorized.

But I did notice something interesting when I compared the certification for fusion and speedster.

The paramania fusion 26 is certified with the free flight weight range of 70-95 kg. PPG weight range is 70 - 140 kg for this glider.

The speedster is certified for the weight range of paramotor, 90-125 kg. So this test is valid.

The paramania certification isn't valid for ppg, 140 kg compared to 95 is a huge difference. I'm surprised this even is allowed. If the main purpose of the wing is ppg then is should be certified within ppg weight range.

fusion:

http://www.para-test.com/images/Test_Report/Para_flight/English/2009/2008-12-19_fusion26_en.pdf

speedster:

http://www.para-test.com/images/Test_Report/Para_flight/English/2011/2011-03-29_speedster_28_en.pdf

• 1 month later...

Got a delivery of a speedster now :) Not mine, just for testing, but I doubt I wont buy it. Really hoping for good weather now! Going to be very interesting to compare it with the fusion.

Saw that I didn't reply on your question s1buell_wl, I don't think they tested the glider with a motor, just free flight harness but in correct weight range.

Edited by Guest

Good luck with the test fly....

I think you will find the wing will come up much better than the Fusion in light winds in a forward and reverse not that the Fusion laggs behind you in anyway.... One tip for you make sure you have a nice arch in the wing when laying it out as the leading edge will sit up nicer that way....

The Speedsters brakes are allot lighter and have the same affect but the tip steering is crazy... SO watch out as you can spiral on them...

The trimmers are harder to pull in than the Fusion but only need one hand unlike the Fusion. I have about 40+ hours on my Speedster and the trimmers are in great condition, I had to change my Fusion trimmers ever 20-25 hours as they slipped.

Let us know your thoughts on the Speedster as soon as you have had a chance to fly it

Yes the trimmers on the old risers on the fusion wasn't any good. I had them replaced with the new ones and they doesn't slip. Didn't cost anything, just mailed paramania about it and they sent a new pair.

But the magnetic brake holder was better on the earlier version of the risers.

12 m/s wind now. Why do I live in this country..

The weather finally became flyable again. I wish it was a bit earlier in the day I only had the chance for a short flight with the speedster but I hope I can have another go tomorrow, I need to have another go at it to see if this really is what I want.

Question is what I think of this 28 m2 speedster compared to my 26 m2 fusion. I'm used to my fusion so it's hard to be fully objective in such a small test.

Top speed is probably as good or maybe better with the speedster, never really had a good test for that.

Sink rate, well.. I was hoping for a little bit better here, not worse of course but no miracle.

Handling. This is the difficult one. Tip steering if very responsive on the speedster, I guess the key to handling on the speedster is this, need to test this more. On normal brakes the handling on the fusion is in my opinion much better, I like that a lot, but this is the area where getting used to the glider plays a big part and the fusion is smaller.

The general feeling of the speedster is worse compared to the fusion right now. I feels more damped and I'm not sure I like that.

I'm hoping for good weather tomorrow so I can have a go on the fusion to feel the air and then on the speedster again.

those of you with the speedster, do you use the tip steering all the time if you want to flip it around some?

The weather finally became flyable again. I wish it was a bit earlier in the day I only had the chance for a short flight with the speedster but I hope I can have another go tomorrow, I need to have another go at it to see if this really is what I want.

Question is what I think of this 28 m2 speedster compared to my 26 m2 fusion. I'm used to my fusion so it's hard to be fully objective in such a small test.

Top speed is probably as good or maybe better with the speedster, never really had a good test for that.

Sink rate, well.. I was hoping for a little bit better here, not worse of course but no miracle.

Handling. This is the difficult one. Tip steering if very responsive on the speedster, I guess the key to handling on the speedster is this, need to test this more. On normal brakes the handling on the fusion is in my opinion much better, I like that a lot, but this is the area where getting used to the glider plays a big part and the fusion is smaller.

The general feeling of the speedster is worse compared to the fusion right now. I feels more damped and I'm not sure I like that.

I'm hoping for good weather tomorrow so I can have a go on the fusion to feel the air and then on the speedster again.

those of you with the speedster, do you use the tip steering all the time if you want to flip it around some?

Don't hold me to this but I'm sure I've seen YouTube videos of this wing and the pilot pulling on the break and tip stealing at the same time.

Carl

Hi all , I fly a lot with the brake handle in hand and my index finger thru the wing tip toggle ; using both is just awsome very sharp but stable turn .I have flown thru rough air on slow trims on my speedster 33 and if I just step on the speed bar I can feel that the wing is very stable . My opinion about the speedster owners manual is that they say , that in very rough air they recomend flying closed trims and active because most reflex wings are not certified on full fast , so if something will go wrong it will be more severe , doesn't matter what brand of reflex you do fly . Even the champs in my country says if it gets very rough they prefer slow and active .

Thanks that's good info to have. I'm sure that works well considering the super sensitive tip steering on the speedster.

Just returned from another flight now. First I had a go with my fusion and then with the speedster.

My conclusion from this flight is:

Speed is practically the same on the speedster even though its larger. Maybe better top speed.

stability is higher, in a way.. not that I think the fusion is unstable though, it talks a little more with the risers but I never had any trouble with it, the glider itself doesn't really move around much. But the threshold for disliking the air is probably higher on the speedster so that's positive.

Easier to start, but I don't have much trouble with the fusion either now that I use power from the motor to get it going. For those that use soft cage it's worth a lot.

There is higher brake pressure on the speedster. Don't like that. When using the tip steer toggle as well it might be the other way around so we'll see.

Climb rate is 20-25 % better.

Trimmers are definitely much harder to pull in on the speedster, way hard. Don't like it, but I'll live with it.

Less pressure needed for speedbar, that's positive.

Magnetic lock for the brake toggles and tip steering is better on the speedster. Small thing but it does make a difference.

It's definitive more efficient considering the speed is the same as may smaller fusion.

I decided to buy one. What I wanted was a glider that is more efficient with decent top speed. That it does. I like to take photographs and I'll probably feel more comfortable on the speedster with hands off. It'll be a much better glider for thermaling. A large delta would be even better I'm sure but I like reflex on a paramotorwing.

I think I'll sell the fusion I have today and maybe in the future buy a small glider as well. A used viper 2 or something. We'll see.

I want a green/yellow speedster so now I have to wait :) longer delivery time for that one.

Edited by Guest

Btw.. All in all I think it's a very nice paramotor wing. I would definitely recommend buying one. I do like that it is certified within paramotor weight range, compared to some other brands that cheat and certify it in free flight range only.

Hi Hemberg

I alway use tips and brakes... The only time i dont is for take off and flare and when thermaling. I land on full reflex (full fast) and only come off tips at the last moment to flare . When i came from my Fusion onto the Speedster i thought the brakes were softer than the Fusion. The trimmers are way harder to pull in on the Speedster but are 100% better than the Fusion (no slip) and you don't have to tug on them like the Fusion

The Speedster has much better glide IMO 4:1 on the fusion and 5:1-6:1 on the speedster (measured on my GPS so not 100% accurate)

Just wait until you get a thermal day and fly both then please let me know what you think :wink:

Hi morgy , you say that you always land on trims fully opened ? do you stay at high altitude or at sea level ? Only the pilots flying at high altedute in our country land on full speed , I stay at the coast and land on full slow on my Speedster , easy soft landing every time . What is your reason for landing on speed ? maybee I can learn a thing or 2 , thank you Thys .

Hi

I like you am on the coast. I always used to come in on full slow, I agree the landings are slow and controlled on the speedster but there is a much better feel and 100% more flare authority when coming in on full fast. The brakes are harder to pull and do have to be used presistly. Full fast landings will help out when conditions are light and variable as you can land down wind and still have good energy to flare.

Don't go straight to full fast for your first landings. Raise you trimmers one finger at a time if the landing is good then next time do two fingers then so on and so on untill you get to full fast. once you have done it you will not go back.

Regards

Mark

Sussex paramotors