Fuel sensors on ebay

LED OFF: Indicates that your tank has more than 3liter of fuel left.

LED Green: Indicates that your tank less than 3 liters of fuel left.

LED Red: Indicates that your tank has less than 1liter of fuel and you should be looking for a safe place to land"

I think a horoscope would be more useful- certainly a lot cheaper than this.

LED OFF: Indicates that your tank has more than 3liter of fuel left.

LED Green: Indicates that your tank less than 3 liters of fuel left.

LED Red: Indicates that your tank has less than 1liter of fuel and you should be looking for a safe place to land"

I think a horoscope would be more useful- certainly a lot cheaper than this.

You should always be looking for a safe place to land. (just incase) :D

Or you can make your own for approx £20.

Here is what I did.

Order one of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400250220077#ht_2169wt_1345

and one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120709257236?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D120709257236%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

The cycle meter comes from china and took about 3 weeks to arrive. I am sure you could get a similar one in the UK but I picked this one because it allowed a wheel circumference of 0 - 9999mm, lots of other only had fixed wheel sizes.

The bike sensor produces a pulse every time the wheel rotates, so we just need to work out how many pulses are required per ml etc.

So if we cut the reed switch from the end of the cycle meter and wire it through an opto isolator to the flow sensor the flow sensor generates a pulse for every 0.5 ml of fuel passed through.

We need to calculate the equivalent wheel size to trick the cycle gauge into giving the correct reading.

0.5 ml Per Pulse

1000 ml per litre

1000 ml / 0.5ml = 2000 pulses per litre

Desired Circumference (1 Kilometer / Pulses)

= 1000000mm / 2000 = 500 mm

Then all you do is enter a wheel circumference of 500mm and you should get the correct number of km traveled being the same as the number of liters being used.

I did this mostly as an experiment but the results do work fairly well, I had to add a pull up resister in the wire some where but I would need to look out my diagram if anyone else is interested.

Barry

Now Barry- that's a much smarter idea.

Giving you an indicaton of actual fuel flow is by far the best way to measure.

All very well, but i'd prefer to keep it simple.

Refering back to the original posting--

Don't rely on you'r last litre of fuel. Even with a weighted clunk on your tank feed pipe, you will not necesarily be able to use all the fuel in the tank- i've seen most paramotors leave some fuel at least.

My own personal policy is to return to the takeoff site with 1 litre left in the tank- this gives me 20 minutes to land- you can't assume that your first attempt at landing will be OK, and you may need to 'go around' numerous times.

GD