Question?

I posted something similar a week or so ago but got no replies :cry: so i'll give it another go! :?

Can anybody tell me how i can mount a video camera on my Motor or wing so i can get some good video shots with me (the pilot) in the shot, i have seen pictures and video evidence :) from what looks like some kind of rod or stick, if this is the case how does this work? Does anyone have any ideas i can try? Please :wink::D

I posted something similar a week or so ago but got no replies :cry: so i'll give it another go! :?

Can anybody tell me how i can mount a video camera on my Motor or wing so i can get some good video shots with me (the pilot) in the shot, i have seen pictures and video evidence :) from what looks like some kind of rod or stick, if this is the case how does this work? Does anyone have any ideas i can try? Please :wink::D

Hi Richard,

saw your question last time but didnt feel qualified to reply :oops:

But, if any help, I use a monopod available at Dixon's etc for cameras so it has the right screw thread to fix most cameras to. Extends from 1 foot to about 4 feet.

I fix the small digital camera so it is pointing back down the pod. I press the delay button on the camera and let the monpod extend to its limit under gravity then lift it so the monopod is horizontal in time for me and my tandem passenger to say cheese. Its crude but you get a good head shot of the pilot(s) and I try and do it on a turn so you get some of the wing and the ground in the background. I suppose if your camera did video you could do the same thing for short clips.

This is on free flying tandem. I imagine it would be too much of a fiddle to do that on a solo paramotor with throttle etc in one hand?

anyway.......monpod from Jessop'sor Dixon's or any camera shop for about 10 or 15 quid I think.

Oh and I tie a line to the camera too!!!!!!!!

I wonder if you might be talking about my videos. Like the deepdale one ?

http://powerlord.panfare.com

actually that one just used a video camera with a semi fish eye if it was. But with a bit of practice you can get good results.

hmm. just looked and I've not got that one on there. I'll post it and put link up.

Alternative is to do what I've done now. I have 2 pinhole cameras mounted on the frame, one with a fish eye. And another in my helmet. I can switch between them during flight.

all send signals (through some custom trickery) to an archos for solid state recording.

stu

Hi Martin and Dave,

interesting links to those products. The flycam seems a very cheap solution (needs a SD card added) and the dog cam considerably more expensive, with lots more wiring and fitting up. I was just wondering if the extra price reflects much better quality video and stills?

I know nothing of these things but, like Richard, want to get good quality footage of my flying. They both record the same number of pixels from what I can see, but is there some other measure of picture quality? or lense quality? or 'tronics?

So my question is really what are the limitations of the flycam (40 + SD) or the justification of the dogcam price tag £300ish in order to make an informed choice ?

thanks guys, great thread.

Never used a flycam, but most of the solid states ones are a bit crap.

terrible compression artifacts, etc.

resolution doesn't really tell you much tbh.

using an archos at 2500bps (top rate) give me reasonably quality. Then just get whatever bullet cam you fancy.

Still not DV quality though.. any cheap sub 200 quid DV camcorder will give you superior results.

you can get an archos for less than 100 quid, and a bullet cam off ebay for 20 quid.

Reason I use it rather than one of my other video cameras though is it allows me to have it helmet mounted, and not need to worry about starting, stopping, changing tapes, etc, etc

either will be far far better quality than the sd solutions.

Nothing wrong with SD.. I have a sony AVCHD camcorder which records onto memory sticks in 1080i. amazing quality.

but these things (the organ scientific is another) are just crappy things tbh.

Price and Quality wise: get a small cheap 150 quid DV camcorder and mount it to your helmet.

Too big:

Get a real SD card camcorder like a samsung miniket. I have one of these too, and it takes very decent quality and is small enough to mount on helmet. They also do a version with a bulletcam, though that pushes the price back up.

Must have a bulletcam:

-miniket with bullet cam (250-300 and very good quality)

-archos and mulletcam (solid state or HD archos) 200 -300 quid.

give me a bell if you want further info. Dunno if I consider myself an expert but I've been shooting video and doing non linear editing for 15 years.

stu

p.s. currently got:

Sony CX7 high def solid state camcorder

Sony PC55 DV camcorder

Sony PC100 DV camcorder

JVC DV1 DV camcorder

Sanyo C6 SD camcorder

Sanyo HD1 high def SD camcorder

Samsung minket

4xbulletcam/pinhole cameras into archos solution

Stu

I've seen your videos on the other forum, which you superimposed the GPSDash2 dials on. For a newbie, I was very impressed watching the video; height and speed all at the same time. It would be great if you can place a link on this forum too.

Tony

Its on my phafare site I posted earlier I think (the copdock flight)

http://powerlord.phanfare.com/

Have to say, I looked at that flycamone2 though.. the original was rubbish quality, but that new one isn't half bad! and for 45 quid! - just ordered one, so will let you know how it goes. Even if the video isn't too hot, setting it to shoot stills every 4 seconds continuous could get some good shots if mounted up in the wing looking down for example.

yeh took a bit of faffing to get the gpsdash info on the video, but it does bring a new angle to watching the videos, and recording them for my own 'log' if you like.

I try to do that with each decent flight now: start with a map showing the gps trace, then the video with gpsdash instrumentation overlayed on it. I find it useful when watching it back to see what I'm doing, speed, etc and whether I can learn anything for next time.

stu

Hi Richard

Have a look at Dog Cam Sport http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/index.html

it may help (or not)

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that, i was amazed at the unbelievable quality with no signs of vibration in the picture and you can more or less fasten or stick them anywhere. I'll be ordering a couple of those in the near future, looks like i've found the answer to my question.

If anyone's looking for great video equipment that will put up with the vibration, noise and electrical interference check out http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/index.html

Thanks everyone for your input. :lol:

Richard

Over the past few years I have tried to mount a cam to the cage, but I allway got allot of vibration. I have put the cam in many places. Never happy..

The best place still is on a bracket attached to your harness. I use a rotaing mount to allow the came to point in any direction.

Use a wide lens. A fisheye is great like a .3 fish eye lens.

Some use pol cams. This works, but you need to carry a bloddy pole with you......

I have built a canopy cam mount, but not tested it yet when I'm in the air. It is designed to fit a digital cam with shoot wide screen, and hi quality vid.

I have a bulet cam, but i thing the quality sucks. It depends on what you wan to do with it in the end. Most people never edit any footage.

There are good quality lipstip cams, but they they do cost big bux.. not £150 like most of them. more in the range of a £1000 or more.

Dan :D

I will post some vid when i test it. It will be up and running for the big trip in the summer...

The cams I use are as follows

A sony Z1 HD cam 16-9 format heavy, but it is good on your lap, or on a mount.

Sony Hc1 HD 16-9 format

Sony Pc120 DV.Great cam for head cam

a bullet cam.. OK. record into my pc120 as a recorder.

Panoasonic Lumix Lx1 compact cam. shoot vid in 16-9 format..

Hi Richard

Have a look at Dog Cam Sport http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/index.html

it may help (or not)

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that, i was amazed at the unbelievable quality with no signs of vibration in the picture and you can more or less fasten or stick them anywhere. I'll be ordering a couple of those in the near future, looks like i've found the answer to my question.

If anyone's looking for great video equipment that will put up with the vibration, noise and electrical interference check out http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/index.html

Thanks everyone for your input. :lol:

Guys

the telephone number for dogcamsport is 01726 891812, the guy you are looking for is Mark Nelson, saw him at the NEC last weekend, he has a lot of cameras, mounts and attachments, posted this in Tip to tip section just a few minutes ago, knew I saw this thread somewhere :oops::oops:

Regards

Dean :lol:

• 6 years later...

I bought a dash camera from www.szswill.com.

This was after quite a lot of net research. All in inc fitting $120.00. This includes the power regulator (save battery from draining if parked and operating for a few days) the fitting was excellent and discrete. The only prob us drivers have is the wipers! Where the leave the v at the top of the screen in the wet is where the camera is located. However in most conditions it blows off pretty quick when driving 30mph+. I am also putting some rainx type product on the area to help even more.

The footage and audio is to be honest excellent. I am very impressed.

And now I am also considering a action camera to mount on my motorcycle, maybe sometime later I'll get one.