Land out emergency kit

norbertflyer

Anyone carry spares/tools/bits with them on flights in case of an out landing, in order to fix what broke and take off again? Thus avoiding the dreaded retrieve/taxi/walk.....

This worked for me recently (HT lead spade broke, fixed with spare wire)

This is my list (circa 400grams):

Bare wire

Insulated wire (stripped ends)

HT lead

String

Fine string

Bit of netting

2 part Velcro

Ronsan Multi tool (pliers/cutters/screw driver Philips and flat head/scissors/knife/file.)

PG line

Large cable ties

Small cable ties

Insulation tape

3 sizes of allen (hex) keys (engine peripherals incl prop bolts)

Bit of fuel pipe

I don't carry spare plugs and a plug spanner due to weight/bulk.

Does anyone else carry an emergency kit? Can anyone suggest any extras, bearing in mind weight/volume/practicality?

Richard

I always carry a Leatherman & an allen key for the prop bolts. I've recently bulked this up with some duct tape & zip ties.

In the other harness side pocket I carry the inner wing bag & strap so I can bag the wing up & carry it with the motor.

Always take the mobile too just in case with google latitude app so anyone else with the app can find me.

There are a couple of things that you've listed that I may add though.

Dont forget the all essential favour that someone must owe you when all else fails and you need to call them to be collected ... :shock:

I owe land out rights to someone already and I have only had five flights !!! Imagine how many I will owe when I have 100+ hours to my name .. :roll:

Im not mentioning any names.. but he flys a fusion 26 and V3 Bailey out of Hambrook .. :dive: thanks again :)

I always carry

Spare oil (4 stroke) 50-60ml

Cable ties big and small

Spare prop/active arm clip

fuel tube

Spare inlet manifold rubber

a small bit of rag

Allen key for prop and one for motor

Leatherman

Wing bag and compression strap... Incase it wont start again.

Also a can of red bull and choky for the walk out....

Only ever had to be picked up once in 80+ hours

Dont forget the all essential favour that someone must owe you when all else fails and you need to call them to be collected ... :shock:

I owe land out rights to someone already and I have only had five flights !!! Imagine how many I will owe when I have 100+ hours to my name .. :roll:

Im not mentioning any names.. but he flys a fusion 26 and V3 Bailey out of Hambrook .. :dive: thanks again :)

Hope your on the mend darren..... :)

Hope your on the mend darren..... :)

Ha ha yes I am much better! Got a removable velcro splint on it and I can put weight on it now :D

I am counting the days until I can continue training .. :dive:

The Parajet Bailey is a turn up for the books dont you think ? :shock:

All thats missing is the bailey frame!!!!! :lol:

£60 Cash (train/Bus/etc.)

Credit/Debit card

I also have on my gps, all current petrol station locations. Good if my mobile can't get at least a GPRS signal.

Emergency freq on my airband (121.5) and all local airfield frequencies.

Like the idea of a 'tiny bottle' for the farmer/landowner.

Of course a phone with current contact numbers.

What about a spot locator? OTT?

Richard

Essentials only-

Cash

Telephone

GPS - for reporting location

Torch

Whistle

Stuff sack for wing

Cigarette lighter

Whistle is a good job for attracting attention when in remote areas- you can shout, but after a while your voice may go... A good loud whistle will make you heard from a long way, without getting tired or hoarse.

The torch will be useful for attracting attention too... or just useful if you have been flying near sunset. My fuel level check mirror has a neat hole drilled in the centre, so that it doubles as a heliograph (Patent Pending :D ).... It's useful range is much better than a torch or signal strobe, especially in daylight conditions.

Personally i'd be infavour of 'less is more' and the best thing to do is plan a route whereby you are minimising risk, and never too far from civilisation should something go wrong. You can't carry a complete toolkit with you- keep the basics in your car.

GD

PS. i don't smoke. Cigarette lighter is for fire, if necessary.