What GPS?

As a Paramotor Club member you can have one of these for £430 (normal rrp is £500)

L_B-Competino.jpg

The smaller and low cost version of the IQ-COMPEO.

The COMPETINO is the brandnew compact flight instrument with high operator convenience especially designed for paragliders. It has many of the approved functions of our high end instrument IQ COMPEO as well as its high resolution display. In addition some revolutionary new features, like 3 user selectable display representations, the unique "Track & Drop"- function for extremely accurate flights towards a goal as well as a double power supply with normal batteries or with accumulators.

Functions Overview

• Total integrated flight instrument with 16 channel GPS receiver and itegrated patch antenna

• Robust ABS housing, aerodynamic with soft edges

• High precision pressure sensor for a very sensitive variometer

• High resolution graphic LC-display 160 x 240 = 38.400 pixel with automatic and manual contrast adjustment, important for map function

• 2 seperated battery units each with 2 Mignon (= AA) cells (Alkali or NiMH-accu) providing 2 x 20 hours of usage. Automatic battery switch over always allows a complete use of the battery capacity - never again half empty batteries!

• Automatic or manual Start / Stop of flight recording

• Variable record interval 1... 30 sec allows recording up to 120 hours

• Permanent display of GPS and battery status

• Input for a vane-speedsensor

• User selectable fields for:

- Alt 1 Height above msl

- Alt 2 Difference altitudet

- Alt 3 Cumulated altitude

• Air pressure QNH in hPa

• Temperature °C or °F

• Time and flight time

• Winddirection and strength

• Distance and direction to a waypoint

• Required glide ratio (L/Dreq) to attain the chosen waypoint

• Automatic and manual volume control

• Memory for 200 waypoints

• Memory for 20 routes up to 30 waypoints

• Input of different cylinder radii for a competition route

• Automatic alarm and switching over to the next WP when crossing the circumference of the actual WP (competition route only)

• A recorded flight conforms completely to IGC-rules (including the digital signature) and is fully compatible with evaluation programs like "Seeyou - CompeGPS - Maxpunkte - GPSVar - IQ-Online" for announcing flights at OLC

• Available seperately, PC-program "Flychart" allows easy set-up functions as well as down- and uploads of waypoints, routes and flight tracks

• Three different Displays can be selected by the user:

1) Normal flight with round analog vario scale, Alt1, Speed, and more

2) Flight to a GPS goal with bargraph vario-scale and a graphic final glide calculator. A crosshair shows flight direction and altitude above the path of best glide

3) Real time map display with track and waypoint names, cylinders; with Zoom In -

• Zoom Out function

Interface cabel to a PC (seriel RS232 port)

Dimensions: 165 x 70 x 36 mm Weight: 270 g (with batteries/without clamp)

Price includes, Competino, batteries, pouch, serial cable for PC, quickstart manual (full manual downloadable from Brauniger website)

Flychart software is available seperately for £55 but other software is available free of charge from Brauniger's website.

SW :D

All,

This is one of MANY Paramotor Club members discounts we will have online very very soon.....

Watch this space, or the one on the right hand side of the forums that is..... :arrow:

I used the GPSJ with my Nokia N70 which was great! and free!

but the N95 or any other ohines with a built in GPS will not run the software.

How poo is that, you upgrade.... and loose usefull tools.... Grass is always greener...LOL

A couple of ways of using GPS.

1/ Use it as an aid to navigation.

2/ Use it to log what you do for display later on GE.

With the first, the user friendliness is everything along with getting exactly what you want/need for the device.

With the second, low volume, weight and recording ability is prime.

I use the Garmin 60CSx and find it first class. It does both very well indeed.

garmin_GPSmap_60CSx.jpg

I use my PDA with GPS dash2.

I've imported imaged of the CAA maps and calibrated them by adding reference points. GPS dash can then work out where you are. :D

If anyone needs the maps let me know :wink:

yup, or use it with memorymap maps: I just save them out of memory map, load em in to gpsdash and calibrate them... this gives me OS detail moving maps which is handy sometimes.

I don't find I use the maps that often though, I find the main dash gives me everything I need. But having the map is useful for sure.

stu

Garmin 60csx question... (Norman).

I am trying to work out how close one has to go to a waypoint in order for it to click onto the next waypoint during a route with numerous waypoints. I have read the manual cover to cover and can't find any guide or adjustable settings.

I have tried it whilst walking the dogs (because its too crap to fly) and it seems that once you pass the waypoint latitudally it then changes to the next waypoint automatically. Does anyone know the answer?

Simon.

You will have to be in "off road " mode so that you are navigating between waypoints ( straight line ) If you go into the Menu and select routes and press enter. Select "off road transition" and then "Route leg transition" and select method of use as distance. when you enter this page you can specify a radius which once entered will transfer you to the next waypoint on your route.

If your GPS has the same factory settings as mine, you will find that you have to be directly at the waypoint before it will transfer to the next point on your route. This relates to about 5ft on the ground. hence the new term "GPS induced collision " on the water, if you select a waypoint as a solid object and use auto pilot, you will sail right into the object. You might remember the story of the Bannana boat near Southhampton a couple of years ago. The auto pilot took it straight into a navigation bouy on a rock.

Another good idea is to set a proximity alarm around your destination so that it gives an audible alarm when close to your landing site, saves you having to keep monitoring the GPS