CARBON PROP REPAIR..

jock

Although I would like to say I think this will work!! And I would believe me!!!

I will put a quid on a fail inside of an hour.

I will put 2 quid on a fail inside of 30 mins.

I would love to be wrong with this!!

SW :D

I had a mate who repaired his carbon prop but when he pu it on a balancer he found the repaired side to be heavy....so in his wisdom drilled the undamaged side and inserted lead fishing weights untill the prop balanced....then sealed the end of the holes with resin.......within 30 seconds of starting it up and revving it up all hell broke loose......to cut a very long story short

a camp site 1/4 of a mile away came to his house the next day asking if he had lost part of his prop.....whilst flying over .....as he had found it amongst the tents the next morning... :lol::lol:

The correct way to repair carbon is not possible with props..

You are supposed to seal the outside level of the prop (your surface) metal tape is great for this...

Then re-biuld the prop from the inside using some Carbon felt and the same resin as the prop was made with.

The other big problem with repairing carbon props is that most of them, are not 100% carbon (most contain fibre glass (which comes in black woven fabric now to look like Carbon, E-glass) and as a result they are made with Polyester Resin. (for making ponds with)

Many of the bonding glues that people use for repairing props, are Epoxy resin and they will never truly bond to one another.

As a useful hint...

Polyester Resin smells!! When your prop is broken smell the broken edge. If it smells at all like car body filler (also polyester) then your prop should be repaired with the same resin. This can be purchased in Halfords in 500ml bottles with separate catalyst. Also look for fluffy edges at break.

If there is no smell, you are very lucky indeed! and your prop is most likely 100% carbon and made from Epoxy resin. This means that you can get in there with the araldite and the like, which only have a faint smell in an uncured state. Also look for sharp rigid edges at break.

You do of course, in both cases have to use some fabric to re-enforce the repair!!!!

For ease, when repairing polyester props, use either Carbon or glass 'tissue' and build up overlapping layers as close to the parts original thickness as possible (as not to create a rigid point)

For Epoxy props, use Carbon Tissue as above.

SW :D

Personally I don't think anyone should be repairing propellers, if the repair decides to let go then the consequences could be devastating.

I know propellers are not cheap but nor is someone else's life, sight or well being.

I couldn't live with myself if I selfishly hurt someone due to my irresponsible actions.

Personally I don't think anyone should be repairing propellers, if the repair decides to let go then the consequences could be devastating.

I know propellers are not cheap but nor is someone else's life, sight or well being.

I couldn't live with myself if I selfishly hurt someone due to my irresponsible actions.

I agree, buy a new wooden one from ME :D

Merry mass every one

Having repaired all my wooden props with glass fibre and never had any issues I think this repair will have some success, I stick resin to wood and would think that resin to resin would be even better.

As to the comments of people standing by getting injured then they should not be there. At every fly inn there are plenty of prop strikes with take offs and landings and we all know the risk. Even when running straight people still twist when they fall exposing everyone to the possible risk of being hit.

My only caution would be to make sure you carry a reserve in case the prop breaks into the wing has was the case on a powered trike after a professional repair to save money on a four bladed prop.

russel

Ive just had to repair my carbon prop ....because I left the kick start foot strap on the gage.. :oops:

it was ony a small nick.....Ive repaired it with Solarez.....an epoxy resin that goes off when it see daylight or uv light..its got small pieces of carbon fiber impregnated with the mix for extra strength

seem to work fine.....for me....ive used the polyester one for surfboard repairs for years.. 8)

Could not agree more with solarez as it dry's in minutes and can be sanded down straight away. Just make sure you have some Uv's available or it will remain wet. I carry it in my harness Incase of a rough out landing/takeoff from stones being kicked up from your boots.

well suggested.

Russel

• 7 years later...