Flymecc carbon paramotor

alan

I have just watched the assembly and de assembly videos, after lots of yawning I have come to the conclusion that I would loose some parts disassembling especially over the winter as often its dark when packing away, would always be the last 1 up in the air and last 1 home due to the fiddly assembly/deassembly time, I would also get peed of with it (think I would end up in knots) not good with cold hands, also I thought the tieing of the cage netting was a naff idea, no inovations there, I can think of a handfull of better solutions instantly. although a nice unit, not as much thought into it as indicated, not user friendly by the look of it, too complicated, needs to be simple rapid assembly it has vices. also I would still be left with a large unit to move about.

I will give it a miss. Still interested in the engine though. videos here

http://www.flymecc.com/en-us/?chiave=Downloads

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Cobra,

I always power launch on forwards and i did ask about that at the stand when we where in France, on the video i power launched it.

The cage is very rigid and i actually love the the way it packs into a bag this makes it fantastic for transport.

Assembly and dis-assembly does not take that long its like anything the more you do it the faster you get. I must admit when i saw the video i thought the same as you and he does look a bit nervous maybe camera shy?.

Simon, not a clue on that maybe a question for flymecc.

Neil i notice you fly a macro i loved mine but when we went to the alps i had to do a bit of hill walking with it and it was not easy.

The Flymecc full of fuel roughly weighs the same as the macro empty and this was a big factor in my decision to get one and also the stability of the engine temperature due to the water cooling.

Only time will tell if i made the right decision but 3 flights in and all is well there is (and more than i thought) plenty of power the fuel consumption is better than i thought it would be oh and not having to hold the machine when warming it up is a bonus.

Out of interest Neil how much fuel is your macro using mine averaged around 5 to 5.5 litres an hour my mates was less at 4.5 but he weighs less than me cheers Alan.

hello all

simon,

i have relayed your specific questions onto flymecc and will post there reply when received,

the cost of the carbon sections start from £40 and go up to £90 for the large motor sections and the joiners are only £14 each, the frame therefore is actually cheaper than the cost of a replacement frame for such as parajets or paps due to the fact you would only have to change the damaged section should the worse happen, and not a full or half section as like the parajet or pap, i also still standby flymeccs experience that carbon fibre IS a good material for paramotor frames but everybody is entitled to there own opinion,

but just to reiterate please feel free to come and have a look feel and fly of the machine before knocking it

cobra

i agree the video on the flymecc site does look fiddly but once done a few times is no more time consuming than the pap 3 piece cage, and please don't forget that the cage breaks down and goes into a bag a only little bigger than an umbrella ! so some sacrifices of assembly time would be made, 60 seconds or so, however it is an easy process that even my 7 year old daughter CAN do.... but that said you should NEVER be in a rush to get into the air NOR should you be flying after the sun has set it can have deadly consequences,

we are just in the process of manufacturing are our own assembly and disassemble videos and will post them on here when done,

they will also be avaialble on our youtube channel under flymeccuk or simply click here http://www.youtube.com/user/flymeccuk?feature=mhsn

please feel free to come and have a look / fly

kindest regards

mark

flymeccuk@hotmail.co.uk

before knocking it

flymeccuk@hotmail.co.uk

not knocking 'IT" just the idea of a Carbon frame. I have just seen enough broken carbon parts.

Read this, taken from a well known industry book written by SP systems, and copied on many other sites.

Brittle materials

Brittle materials, such as concrete and carbon fiber, are characterized by failure at small strains. They often fail while still behaving in a linear elastic manner, and thus do not have a defined yield point. Because strains are low, there is negligible difference between the engineering stress and the true stress. Testing of several identical specimens will result in different failure stresses, this is due to the Weibull Modulus of the brittle material.

The UTS is a common engineering parameter when design brittle members, because there is no yield point.

There are another couple of hundred pages of this type of information. Its not a case of 'Personal opinion' more a case of tried and tested, and tried again, and tested and it's a well know fact that Carbon is classified as BRITTLE in engineering terms.

SW :D

Carbon fiber (carbon fibre), alternatively graphite fiber, carbon graphite or CF, is a material consisting of extremely thin fibers about 0.005–0.010 mm in diameter and composed mostly of carbon atoms. The carbon atoms are bonded together in microscopic crystals that are more or less aligned parallel to the long axis of the fiber. The crystal alignment makes the fiber very strong for its size. Several thousand carbon fibers are twisted together to form a yarn, which may be used by itself or woven into a fabric. Carbon fiber has many different weave patterns and can be combined with a plastic resin and wound or molded to form composite materials such as carbon fiber reinforced plastic (also referenced as carbon fiber) to provide a high strength-to-weight ratio material. The density of carbon fiber is also considerably lower than the density of steel, making it ideal for applications requiring low weight. The properties of carbon fiber such as high tensile strength, low weight, and low thermal expansion make it very popular in aerospace, civil engineering, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports. However, it is relatively expensive when compared to similar materials such as fiberglass or plastic. Carbon fiber is very strong when stretched or bent, but weak when compressed or exposed to high shock (e.g. a carbon fiber bar is extremely difficult to bend, but will crack easily if hit with a hammer).The most widely used form of carbon fiber, called intermediate modulus (or IM) carbon fiber will break at a load around 300,000 lbs per square inch of material along the fiber direction in tension. When the carbon fiber is woven into cloth, the tensile strength drops roughly in half as half the fibers are strong in one direction and half are strong in the other direction.

regards

mark

flymeccuk@hotmail.co.uk

Hello Cobra,

I always power launch on forwards and i did ask about that at the stand when we where in France, on the video i power launched it.

The cage is very rigid and i actually love the the way it packs into a bag this makes it fantastic for transport.

Assembly and dis-assembly does not take that long its like anything the more you do it the faster you get. I must admit when i saw the video i thought the same as you and he does look a bit nervous maybe camera shy?.

Simon, not a clue on that maybe a question for flymecc.

Neil i notice you fly a macro i loved mine but when we went to the alps i had to do a bit of hill walking with it and it was not easy.

The Flymecc full of fuel roughly weighs the same as the macro empty and this was a big factor in my decision to get one and also the stability of the engine temperature due to the water cooling.

Only time will tell if i made the right decision but 3 flights in and all is well there is (and more than i thought) plenty of power the fuel consumption is better than i thought it would be oh and not having to hold the machine when warming it up is a bonus.

Out of interest Neil how much fuel is your macro using mine averaged around 5 to 5.5 litres an hour my mates was less at 4.5 but he weighs less than me cheers Alan.

Hi Alan,

To be honest, I've not had a chance to work out fuel consumption....

I've only had four flights, and they've all only been a quick blat around. I'm really hoping to build up my hours in 2011.

Cheers, Neil.. :D

Ok, I am now bored with this your clearly convinced from the wiki page pasted above and or the people selling the kit to you.

I am not getting into a my dads bigger than your dad conversation with you.

Enjoy it, time will tell in the end won't it :-)

SW :D

Cobra,

You wanted to know if you could build it in the dark well, look on youtube theres a video on there and it brings a whole new meaning to the term its grim up north lol. :D

Mark,

I recommend some higher wattage light bulbs ha ha :D

I noticed the way you put it together is different to the factory video and quicker so i will give that one a go on boxing day hopefully cheers Alan.

Hello All,

Two more flights on the Flymecc carbon totalling 1hr 45mins and it just gets better using only 6 litres and this was in sinking air flew round the humber bridge and into freezing fog or very cold mist .

Garyfreefly i used the atc9k which turned itself off obviously too cold for it have you had this happen to yours.

Also the way the cage packs up is superb and Mark your way of putting the cage together is spot on and you can leave the prop off and warm the engine up at the same time.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
They look cool can't deny that fact 8) , And people who bash carbon fiber remember one thing not everyone are fans of Superdell TM and we all are sitting in front of WORLD WIDE WEB

Agree they look good but does Alan want to chime back in here and provide an update on how he is getting on with this Paramotor?

Looking good is always nice but how robust is the frame in practice and what is the reliability of the Sky motor like?

I have no wish to re-ignite a firey debate here... I would just like to see some feeback from someone who owns and flys one of these.

I am in the market for a motor myself and having seen many Pro's and Con's of other units I would be interested in views on this one...

and if you dont own and fly one of these units please keep any un-verified comments to yourself :)

Thanks.

Hi Darren

One of the MIAN thing to look into when buying a new paramotor is.... Is there a dealer near you. so you can go and have a look/fly.... how easy is it to get parts.... What is the customer service like..... As you know i have a bailey and they are around 3 hours away from me.... I can tell you its a pain when you know you have to take it up to them as its a full day of driving and sitting around. Thats if they can fix it! if not it's another days driving..... Just think about the cost's of buying a euro machine with no dealer near by. posting it to spain/france is not cheap....

Yorkshire is a long drive!!!!!!

Not sure there are many pilots on here that use/have these machines.... Have you tried going no to PilotsPPGclubUK on yahoo groups.... There are allot of comp pilots on there.... not sure any of them use these motor but worth a try...

Hi Darren

One of the MIAN thing to look into when buying a new paramotor is.... Is there a dealer near you. so you can go and have a look/fly.... how easy is it to get parts.... What is the customer service like..... As you know i have a bailey and they are around 3 hours away from me.... I can tell you its a pain when you know you have to take it up to them as its a full day of driving and sitting around. Thats if they can fix it! if not it's another days driving..... Just think about the cost's of buying a euro machine with no dealer near by. posting it to spain/france is not cheap....

Yorkshire is a long drive!!!!!!

Not sure there are many pilots on here that use/have these machines.... Have you tried going no to PilotsPPGclubUK on yahoo groups.... There are allot of comp pilots on there.... not sure any of them use these motor but worth a try...

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the input and help. I can see this is going to be a tough decision whatever motor I choose. For me parts, service, and maintenance do play a part in any decision however so does reliability.

I guess I also dont want to end up with a motor thats always in for warranty/reliability issues with a reseller just down the road if the alternative might be a unit thats very reliable and rarely needs repairs or maintenance with a dealer that's far away.

I have heard, and been involved in lots of discussion recently about motors and never come away from those discussions with a clear idea of what to buy. Usually it's quite the opposite I know which motors I am not keen to buy!!!

I would still value someones view (who has actually flown it) on the Flymec motor as this is one unit that I had not come across until I read this post.

Still saying that..Yorkshire is dam long drive to go test a unit. :roll:

LOL ..decisions.. decisions.. I'll go look at PilotsPPGclubUK as I didnt know about that group either :D

No problems darren you cant get enough information at this stage in your flying carrer... Making the wrong choice now can be very expensive, annoying, and extremely frustrating to say the least....

Everyone is biast to the motor they sell/fly so ask your self some questions....

1 budget

2 high/low hang point

3 weight range of your wing

4 What type of flying do you want to do

5 How easy is it to get parts

6 how far is the nearest dealer

7 Are the parts expensive. UK parts are normally cheaper than euro parts. IMO

8 2/4 stroke (oil and fuel is expensive now) :wink:

9 electric start or pull start

10 Range ( i'm not going to go on about for strokes) but when i got my motor i used to fly for an hour to an hour and a half.

But now i am panning and doing longer and longer flights. So you dont want a motor that your ringing the neck out of and only getting at max 2 hours if you plan to do XC's in the future... Some people are getting 2.5 ltr's an hour out of small 2 strokes. Other are getting 6/7 ltr's an hour.

Seymor's farm from hambrook is 45/50mins each way if you hit a head wind on the way home you wont make it if you only have 2 hour's range. Unless you fill up.

11 and i some ways the most important how loud is it........ Is your site noise sensitive?

I hope this helps out a little and makes it easier for you to make a choice. MOST IMPORTANT TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!!