RAF Colin (QFI) a pop up to a mile high vid.

More like 5678ft to be exact :D

If you have a peek in my album there is evidence to back it up.. :D

Dan, Pete, Or anyone else up for a challenge.

I feel the 2 mile mark is a possibility. Would be more fun (less lonely) with a few of us up there

Colin B

More like 5678ft to be exact :D

If you have a peek in my album there is evidence to back it up.. :D

Dan, Pete, Or anyone else up for a challenge.

I feel the 2 mile mark is a possibility. Would be more fun (less lonely) with a few of us up there

Colin B

I went up to 6600 ft here in Shetland in the first week of July one evening. I was surprised at just how cold it was. Probably only about 2 C. Make sure you have heated gloves and a face mask if going for the 2 mile mark and good luck - it may take a while!

John

Just popping the adonoids in :D

I think you might find that the 10,000" rule is an FAA instruction and not applicable here in Blighty.

Maximum altitude for UK, Vfr flight is a slightly higher 24,500". With 8km visability. As opposed to 5km visability under 10,000"...1500m clear of cloud. Oh and a good clear view of the ground.

We just have to find a bit of space without any class A above it :D

Something like parachute jump zone that has been specificly activated for a few hours :D:D

Colin B

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Just seen colin/simon mile high vid and have been thinking about doing the same around my area. The only trouble is i have 250.000 map there seems to not be any airspace over head but i know there must be some that is not on my map as i see jets flying over going into gatwick and heathrow :?:

Does anyone have a 500.000 map or can someone say if there is any airspace above 7500ft over west wittering area..

Many thanks

Morgy

The only trouble is i have 250.000 map there seems to not be any airspace over head but i know there must be some that is not on my map as i see jets flying over going into gatwick and heathrow :?:

Does anyone have a 500.000 map or can someone say if there is any airspace above 7500ft over west wittering area..

Morgy,

I stand to be corrected but I think the 250.000 charts only show airspace upto 5000' inorder to avoid clutter ... ie. they are 'low level' maps. The 500,000 chart that I have is Edition 32 (2006) & so is well out of date. It shows Class A airspace at FL75 just North of you, FL105+ to the SW of you and at FL125+ to the south. (this may well have changed...)

I can't stress enough the importance of obtaining an up to date chart and checking yourself.

Best to avoid any possibility of endangering yourself & others who may be going a little faster. There is very busy airspace above you, as I sense you realise!

Hope the above is of some help - no doubt someone will be along with info from the latest chart.

There certainly seems to be an area to the SW of you where you could go fairly high but it would be a case of ensuring you did not drift into the surrounding lower controlled airspace & receiving the fright of your life... !

Regards,

Gavin.

Thanks for the feed back

I did think that the quater mill went to 7500ft thanks for letting me know it goes only to 5000ft but i was only going of memory i have not looked at my map for some time now :cry:

I would always look for notams if trying someting like this.

The only reason i was asking for someone to tell me if there was for sure airpace above where i lived is so i could may be get a copy or some one could scan there map for me as i can't see the point in getting a half mill map when i will never used it again !!!

I always keep my quater mill up to date and always fly with it when doing XC's

Thanks again

Morgy

Thanks for the feed back

I did think that the quater mill went to 7500ft thanks for letting me know it goes only to 5000ft but i was only going of memory i have not looked at my map for some time now :cry:

I would always look for notams if trying someting like this.

The only reason i was asking for someone to tell me if there was for sure airpace above where i lived is so i could may be get a copy or some one could scan there map for me as i can't see the point in getting a half mill map when i will never used it again !!!

I always keep my quater mill up to date and always fly with it when doing XC's

Thanks again

Morgy

Mark, I just replaced my quater mil from goodwood airfield, they wre very helpful. I am sure if you asked to see one they would have no objections.

Worth a try at least :)

Thanks Dan :lol:

Yah that does help

looks like i can only fly up to or around 7500ft in most of my area but if i am correct i can fly up to 10,000 over east witterings just up the road FL 105?????

Do you have the section just below selsey bill i cant see what that area is??

let me know when your flying next dan will try and make it if your up for it...