Not so flat anymore

Well I did promise to divulge the bad news aswell as the good, to keep things realistic. I wish I could show you a photo here but dont seem to have the skills to move one across from my hard drive.

Had the Flat -Top almost 2 years now 120 hours use and , up to now, £5 in repair cost, in 2 small broken bolts and 2 more I replaced before they broke, so say £ 5 a year. Until yesterday.!

Pretty thermic midday so was up circling with a buzzard to show me the way. I knew the wind was light and switchy (180 degrees infact) so was watching the sock, avidly on my approach to land. Plumped to keep her running, incase I had to make a late save (powered landing) and I did. Pulled off a beauty almost full power as I felt a strong sink at between 10 and 15 feet. Landed on my feet no probs but didn't kill the motor quick enough. Prop found a line, on tickover and wound it in nice and tight, straight over the famous flat bit at the top of my cage. The rest is history. I laughed to myself and thought that's probably brought my repair cost up to £ 70 a year. I think the top centre is about 120 quid.

I wasn't wearing gloves so there was no excuse for not killing it dead. I was just late by a fraction. Doh. Lesson there somewhere !

DG :roll:

Thanks Simon

On reflection I think the ability to "multi-task" would've helped. Hitting the button whilst breathing a sigh of relief. I t wasn't that bad though, or I wouldn't have gone up.

It's still flyable but the kevlar lines are slack now so it would be possible to reach through to the prop with a hand

DG

Not a chance Alan. It's 6061 tempered aluminium. Very thin and creased now. It'll just split when I try and you'd never get the frame out to the point where the lines are tight enough to do there job. It's a really good strong frame but when Bill brought it over from the states he did say the only way I'd bend it is by wrapping a line tight with the prop giving a force of up to 10 tons per square inch.

Thanks Pete B ! Yeah probably time. Ought to get a checkup from the neck up too :|

Not a great deal Richard. Pilot error was first in line this time. I've seen a PAP ross 125 swallow a break line and the prop is within the frame on that one. That was a free wheeling prop with engine at idle too. Broke mateys finger against the cage too.

I suspect a prop that's well back from the cage, in theory, is more likely to wrap a line though. Disadvantages....props closer to cages get broken more and fingers can reach them easier through the netting

Dave

That's a good thought Si. It did bend easier being flat. I did the same on a rounded section but got away with it last year. Hey maybe your engine off landing might be an idea !

Nick

None here but dont take long to arrive. And thanks for the comment. Always best to share info so others can benefit. Not that many will learn a great deal from moi

DG

• 4 weeks later...

Hey nice to here from you Nick.

I have been flying since with no worries. Time to dig deep into the wallet and buy a new section though. Keep it looking tidy.

Lets go up together soon. Tonight would've been great but I went cycling instead. Off for a shower now. ring me in advance if you're itching to fly. Like to try your wing ! Have a go with my set up too if you want.

Dave

Yep....lets do that.

It was nice and smooth up there tonight, there was a big fire up on the common last week and I wanted to see the damage, it was interesting to see the difference between a bush fire and the controlled swailing done earlier in the year.