Skate launched powered paraglider.

tj

Would you launch using an off road skateboard?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would you launch using an off road skateboard?

• Yes, please sign me up for lessons.
    • No, stay away from me with your heretic wheeled contraption.

Hi,

This is a slightly random question.

Would it be legal to launch using an all terrain skateboard? Obviously trikes and quads are a no no as you're on the wheels as you lift. However, if you're skating with one leg on the ground as you lift, would it make a difference?

I ask as my Mrs doesn't fancy the launch process as is, and would like to know if there's any assistance that could be used.

Answers on the poll please!!!

All the best,

Toodle Pip,

Tj

Hi,

This is a slightly random question.

Would it be legal to launch using an all terrain skateboard? Obviously trikes and quads are a no no as you're on the wheels as you lift. However, if you're skating with one leg on the ground as you lift, would it make a difference?

I ask as my Mrs doesn't fancy the launch process as is, and would like to know if there's any assistance that could be used.

Answers on the poll please!!!

All the best,

Toodle Pip,

Tj

You MUST foot launch .

No wheels

In fact, I found this on Gordon Dunn's Pages;

"A foot launched powered flying machine must be demonstrably capable of being safely foot launched from a horizontal surface in still air or light wind conditions"

So it looks like having wheels is ok, as long as you can still stand up and run with it.

I'm now thinking of an incredibly simple frame with three small bicycle wheels and an aluminium box central front to back spine that you could have a leg each side of..... hmmmmmm

Phil

I thought the legislation said something like 'it must be capable of being foot launched' ?

Phil

Pete, don't tell me you are a Sept. 21st baby too?

No April 19 actually 8)

And yes you can land on wheels but not take off so why bother?

If you want to use wheels then go for a trike licence

what about those shoes the kids are wearing with a built in wheel how could anybody tell how you launched :roll:

it also says foot launched ?? is that one foot or two one of them might have wheels on but not the other,,,,,,

what about those grass skis they have tracks not wheels :?

of course I am thinking outside the box but then is that clever or thick :roll:

what about those shoes the kids are wearing with a built in wheel how could anybody tell how you launched :roll:

it also says foot launched ?? is that one foot or two one of them might have wheels on but not the other,,,,,,

what about those grass skis they have tracks not wheels :?

of course I am thinking outside the box but then is that clever or thick :roll:

I like the idea of the kids trainers with wheels...Also they ve got lights in the heels so no need for a strobe then !! :?

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I got back to the missus and explained the whole 'foot launched' bit which she can see the sense of. However, if we started talking about a tandem rig and the passenger was on the off road skateboard and the pilot was 'foot launched' (ie pushing the passenger) would that be legal?

I just don't think she's that keen on the whole running thing!

Tj

Have you told her that if you have to run more than about a dozen steps then you are quite possibly doing it wrong? Even I've been able to manage it (up till last weekend at least) with my dodgy hip! And if you are tandeming, then the passenger won't be carrying any weight anyway.

If she really doesn't want to do it, then it's pretty much trike or don't fly PPG, as I don't think there are going to be any really practical solutions.

Phil