Hi from Spain

Hello everyone.

Great to have such a wealth of info and experience all on one website.

Having lived in Spain for the past 2 years with a NEED to be airborne, no airfields nearby, lots of sandy beaches and very limited financial resources, it didn't take me long to arrive at my decision to give paramotoring a go.

I have a fixed wing PPL (600hrs) and initially thought (similar to other ppl's) with my flying experience and the fact that this form of aviation legally requires no licence of formal training that somehow I would be at an advantage over other newbies. Almost a bit of a superiority complex I'm sad to admit. Anyway, two days paragliding training last year soon sorted that little misunderstanding out!

I have booked on a 12 day training course with Alex Ledger's Skyschool in North East Spain in September and absolutely cannot wait.

So, that's me. Now for a couple issues that I'm hoping someone can relate to and offer some advice.

I have always had back problems and I have to admit to being a little nervous when I read on the forum about PPG training and running up and down the field with 30+kg strapped to my back. Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.

Next. Kit. Like all newbies, I am concerned about getting the 'right' equipment. I have the manufacturer PAP 10 minutes down the road from me and my logic tells me that it makes sense to buy a Pap paramotor because support and spare parts would be on my doorstep as opposed to UK manufacturer where any servicing could potentially be a shipping nightmare. Any advice on a) that notion and b) experiences with Pap equipment. Incidently, I am 6' 1" and around 84kg.

For me, in order of importance as far as the motor goes:

Noise - I really do not want to upset folk on the ground (not interested in a 4 stroke - too heavy)

Power - The more power, the more relaxed/quiet the motor in the cruise?

Weight - For reasons back related.

Reliability/Durability - Pap any good for this?

Finally, any newbie advice would be welcome and appreciated

Thanks for reading

Dan

PAP stuff is ace and meets all your criteria, do the training first though and get everyones thoughts while you do it. Don't worry too much about the weight as most ground handling is with a PG harness and once you are ready to fly with a motor you don't spend that much time with it on the ground ;)

• 1 month later...

Dan

I did my training with Sky School and am now able to fly on my own when I feel like it or with a few friends here in the South West of England.

The weight thing; don't worry too much about this. When the paramotor is on your back it is quite comfortable. When you run to take off, the wing comes up and as you run forward to take off, the power of the engine helps to push you forward and the wing begins to take the weight off your back almost immediately.

If you are running for take off in nil wind the wing is a little slower to start taking the weight of the engine. Not to worry, I know that all your first flights will be well supervised at Sky School and if you have a light head wind then the wing will come up easily and the weight will be taken off your back quickly as you feel the lift in the leg straps.

As for the PAP it appears that the PAP is the most copied design- need I say more?

Tony

I would agree with Tony, weight is important to a point but there are other factors which matter more when considering load bearing. The way the motor is positioned on your back, the way the harness restrains the whole unit for starters.

I fly the FB Monster which is supposed to be one of the heavier motors available. Well, the above are so well considered and designed that the motor sits very comfortably waiting for the wing to take the weight off my shoulders. I can wander around the launch site with it on my back and it isn't a problem.

Agreed within limits and by degrees - Weight, an overrated limitation that can become insignificant after a short run.

Hi Dan, l agree with all the above, its all sound advice. Just to add l havn't a bad back but my legs are crap so l use an old stool to place my motor on then just step into it. This saves the struggle of trying to stand up.

With good training and the right weather the rest is a doddle. Whoever teaches you will give you and the motor a hang check then on your first commited launch everything should feel as one and the launch should not be to much hassle for your back.

best of luck

Mike 8)