Cool LED Strobe

cageuk

This is pretty cool. Shame I've not got a battery...or the money!

Don't know how bright it would be in daylight but it would make you want to fly at dusk just to show it off!

Cheers

Mark

I complained to them that, contrary to their advert on ebay, the lights did NOT comply with lighting regulations. They have since removed that part of their advert. However, they continue to market lights that actually will show coloured lights to the 'wrong' side of the aircraft, an issue that I pointed out to them could actually bring a paramotor into a conflict situation.

If you are going to fit nav lights, make sure they do what they are meant to do, and only display through the correct angles.

Have to say I agree with Phil, nice if you want to look like a Christmas tree at sunset - useless as an anticollision light during the day.

High intensity strobe is the tool for that task and 'navigation lights' are only any use at dusk or night. If you are using them in that role then they need to comply to regulations otherwise they will do nothing but confuse. As for 'something to light up the ground as you pack up.....

'Prat Gear' I'm afraid, a pile of pants.

i liked the look of these, and a a gadget freak was almost convinced... but the thought of adding another half hour to the assembly and dissaembly of my cage put me straight off!

prob no where near as bright as the microavionics stobe heads anyway.

and for me, if im spending the cash i want to be seen!

Check these out- LED strobes, brightest LEDs commercially available- almost equivalent to a xenon pulse. 12V with compact driver and battery- fits inside side pocket of an H&E. System can be driven from 12V on a Bailey also. Upto 12 flights/12hours on single battery charge... at least still going on first charge!! Remote switch on harness, or mounted on frame. 360 degree allround visibility, no blindspots, no waste heat.... bright, light, efficient, compact... what more could you want?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12fa0n1xno

Here is a similar commercial version:

http://spectrumled.com/fixtures.htm

strobe.jpg

Scroll down to:

Flash Tube Technology

Super Bright Strobe Light Kits

strobe3.gif

These are Xenon flashers embedded in acrylic, I have 30 hours on the flashers to date.

The circuit board wasn't built to handle vibes, and I went through a couple sorting it out, but if the flash frequency is set (dial on box) and then the box filled with silicone it holds up well for hours of vibes now (issue was cap vibrating off circuit board). Cage separation was a concern for me as well during travel, so I fitted some RC three wire connectors for a quick connect and left the wiring tied to the cage. Considering the voltage, it's best they're turned off for a bit before disconnecting leads...

Cheap easy solution folks. I just have them flash behind me as I want those folks seeing me before I can see them.

You can't lose for 6$. I've run them on a 9v battery before.

As a matter of curiosity Gordon.

What was the reason you chose two strobes rather than a single one mounted at the top of the cage?

This would presumably double the running time of the battery. Does the visibility of the single one suffer unless mounted on the outside of the cage (line hazard).

I've probably just answered my own question :?

Cheers

Mark

Two stobes will give you complete 360 degree visibility in 3 dimensions... so no matter where you are at least one major element of the strobe head will be visible... If you mount one single strobe on the top of the cage, in theory a guy on the ground looking straight up will not see any significant portion of the strobe head... potentially compromising safety. With my twin head system the bases (or non emitting surfaces) of the head units are facing the motor.... .. thus maximising the emitting surfaces to the outside environment- away from the motor and pilot. As you see from the videos, at most given orientations you can see more than one head, which is a greater bonus. I've flown the prototype system with other paramotor pilots and with microlight pilots in the air at the same time and they have indicated that it is very easily spotted in the air.

Current drain is minimal on the LED heads therefore even running 4 strobe heads would not be a problem. The heads are very lightweight, and are mounted inside the cage mesh (propside) so that no lines can snag on the system... Quick connectors between the strobe heads and the driver allow rapid connection/disconnection if you need to remove the cage.