dead battery

shaggydec

Can anyone help ? Got a Parajet Ti and it ll only start a couple of times then the battery is flat as a fart..Its almost new and yes i have bought a new batt. Could it be earths or something ? Am now starting to make mistakes cause i dont want to turn it off Any help or advice would cheer me up no end

Could be a duff battery from new, it does happen. Are you sure you are fully charging it to start with? You could do with fully charging it, and putting a multimeter across it and measuring the voltage as you crank your engine. If the voltage drops too far it would indicate a dead or dying cell.

You could check the volts accross the battery before starting, and then during running at revs. If the charging system is working correctly, you should have just over 12 volts before starting and then 14+ volts when running at revs.

If there is no difference then you have a charging system fault. You could then check that there is a decent earth from the charging system, and then trace connections one by one to eliminate components.

Good luck!

Ian.

Can you confirm what type of battery it is? Lead acid? etc... When these fall below a certain voltage, or totally drain, they are irrecoverable. Even if they are fully charged and sitting for a long time unsused, they will loose charge, and if they fall too far then they're never any good again. One way to solve this is to use an 'Oximiser'- basically this keeps the battery trickled continuously, and monitors voltage to keep it at optimum condition- so that it's ready for use anytime. Note that an 'Oximiser' is not the same as a regular trickle charger, and a trickle charger should not be kept on the battery continousiosly- risk of over charging and explosion.

I used to have an electric start machine, but vowed never to buy another- handy when it works, but you can't beat a pull start machine!

GD

Fortunately I have both leccy and pull start, what Gordon was talking about can be found on ebay, just type in optimate 3, these are excelent and usually come with a lead wich permantly attaches to the battery saving you from having remove the battery each time you charge it.

the optimate will charge the battery fully it will then go into a monitoring stage where it will determin the condition of the cells in the battery and wether it is loosing any charge.