PAP help

outkast

Hi chaps, I have a pap with a solo 210 engine, when I try and pull start it it is almost imposible to pull the cord and hurts your hands doing so, I thought the decompresser hole may be blocked so I ordered a new head gasket and took the head off this evening only to find the hole completely clear and the inside of the engine quite free of any coke biuld up, I put it all back together and tried again, no change still really hard to pull over, I took the plug out and it pulls over easy so nothing is siezeing up, as soon as I put the plug back in is hard again, its so hard infact that it makes it difficult to pull it over fast enough to start it, has anyone else had this problem or can make any suggestions as to what could be the cause?

Thanks guys, Dave.

Have you had the engine running?

Did you hear it running before you bought it?

If yes to the above what have you done to it since?

Pete b

Yes pete, when I met the guy to buy it, it was running fine, he fired it straight up from cold with very little effort, I have just found some info on the net that says if its not the decompresser hole its probably the belt slipping and not letting the prop play its part, I will check this tommorow as its 2 inches deep in snow outside now :shock: , thanks for the info. :wink:

Outkast-

Have you primed the engine sufficiently?

Is the plug dry? If it's wet, take it out and dry it, carefully use a lighter to make sure its really dry- (away from engine, outside- reduce risk of explosion)

While the plug is out give the unit a couple of pullls, to make sure the carb is working

Check the plug spark by earthing the ground to the frame, and pulling the cord.

If all is working put the plug back in, prime it again, and try pulling.

If it dosent work, then carefully hold the throttle at full and pull the starter... get ready to reduce the throttle immediately.

I've seen this happen before- usually the engine will begin to turn slowly, then rapidly increase..... giving you some tiem to reduce the throttle. Better if you've got a helper to assist you though.

GD

Outkast-

Have you primed the engine sufficiently?

Is the plug dry? If it's wet, take it out and dry it, carefully use a lighter to make sure its really dry- (away from engine, outside- reduce risk of explosion)

While the plug is out give the unit a couple of pullls, to make sure the carb is working

Check the plug spark by earthing the ground to the frame, and pulling the cord.

If all is working put the plug back in, prime it again, and try pulling.

If it dosent work, then carefully hold the throttle at full and pull the starter... get ready to reduce the throttle immediately.

I've seen this happen before- usually the engine will begin to turn slowly, then rapidly increase..... giving you some tiem to reduce the throttle. Better if you've got a helper to assist you though.

GD

Thanks for the info chaps, I am going to have another crack at sussing it out as soon as I get time.

Have you tried kick starting it, or don't you have tha facility on yours. I've given up pulling mine now(fnarr fnarr) as the last time it nearly pulled my arm off but with the kick start its dead simple, just means sticking the whole thing on your back first but it still wears you out a lot less if you have to give it a few goes!

Have you tried kick starting it, or don't you have tha facility on yours. I've given up pulling mine now(fnarr fnarr) as the last time it nearly pulled my arm off but with the kick start its dead simple, just means sticking the whole thing on your back first but it still wears you out a lot less if you have to give it a few goes!

Good idea Malcs, I will try that too.