Newbie in Ayrshire.

Hello all,

I live in Irvine, Ayrshire. For a long time now I have been interested in getting started in the sport. Had a tandem flight in Goa,India,some time ago. I'm now in position to get started, in terms of money and a bit more spare time on hand. I'm going to spend some time reading through the forum and get some insight. Training is obviously my first step, just wondering if that is even possible across winter??

Does anyone have any advice?? Books I could be reading etc

Anything at all would be helpful.

Thanks everyone.

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the Paramotor Club. There is plenty of excellent information on the various threads around. You'll notice that interesting words like weather and reflex are active links to threads and other sources of useful information.

Have fun and feel free to ask questions. There are plenty of people willing to help.

In terms of other places to look - right here is a great place to start :-)

Stuart

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the Paramotor Club. There is plenty of excellent information on the various threads around. You'll notice that interesting words like weather and reflex are active links to threads and other sources of useful information.

Have fun and feel free to ask questions. There are plenty of people willing to help.

In terms of other places to look - right here is a great place to start :-)

Stuart

as above but i would also add that this is a sport where doing your research is paramount, surf the web for as much info as possible, if you can find any pilots local to you go and have a chat with them, read reviews of any equipment you are considering buying, read others comments on this site and try and take on board as much as you can, but dont go buying anything on one persons recomendation alone, what they mite consider a good bit of kit may not be right for you, take your time, you can got plenty of training in during the winter, have a look on ebay for the DVD called risk and reward its got some good info on there, a couple of books you may want to consider are aviation law and meteorology by Trevor horn, the powered paragliding bible by Jeff goin and understanding flying weather by Derek, piggot, you will find that their will be someone on here who will normally be able to help answer any question you may have,(usually Francis :D ) dont be afraid to ask.

Good luck, Dave.

Barry,

I for one hope that the winter is going to live up to its reputation and be well flyable. You get some fantastic, calm, sharp days where the air is like gin. Nea' a murmur nor ruffle in the ether to disturb your flight (the sun is low hence little thermal activity to speak of, particularly up there in Scotland). Good advice above, you heard the expression 'measure three times cut once'? Same applies with buying kit, learn, learn, learn then, research, research, research.

The pundits here will be able to point you in the right direction with instructors and schools. Good luck, get stuck in, the view is excellent.

Lots of interesting stuff here. http://www.xplorer.co.za/articles/index.html

A few locals maybe? http://www.mortlachsporting.co.uk/flysc ... ntpage.htm

For a little inspiration, try Andrew McMahon http://www.1photo1.com/

_AAA2640nef.jpg

Hi Barry,

Outcast is right I am from your neck of the woods, Saltcoats to be exact. There are four of my mates who fly regular in the area two Saltcoats, one Ardrossan and one Kilmarnock based. If you drop me a PM with your contact details I'll pass it on. I'm sure they would be happy to talk flying with you and show you round their kit.

I think that they know of someone who is an instructor in the area so should be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers Col...

If you have a look at my photo album on this site there are some pics My mate took of me flying the coast between Saltcoats and Largs last year.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. Good to know there are a few guys flying in the local area and people I can get in touch with. I'll get those books ordered and have a read through. weesplat I have sent you a pm with my contact details. :D

Thanks again for prompt replies - no doubt I'll be back soon with more questions.

Cheers,

Barry.

Hi Barry,

Outcast is right I am from your neck of the woods, Saltcoats to be exact. There are four of my mates who fly regular in the area two Saltcoats, one Ardrossan and one Kilmarnock based. If you drop me a PM with your contact details I'll pass it on. I'm sure they would be happy to talk flying with you and show you round their kit.

I think that they know of someone who is an instructor in the area so should be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers Col...

If you have a look at my photo album on this site there are some pics My mate took of me flying the coast between Saltcoats and Largs last year.

Colin,

Do you know Brian (a Lemming) who flies from Stathaven? He uses the microlight site, I had a great early morning flight and wind farm views there in August :-)

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul ,

No afraid I dont . No surprice really as I only get to fly in the area when I go to visit family once or twice a year and even then its only a couple of days at a time.

Hope to see you back up at lambourn over the winter period. Think it was back in july We last met up at the flyin.

Take care

Cheers Col....

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Managed to hook up with Andy, Eddy and Micheal today at Ardeer point. Had a good look around all the different kit, tried bits and pieces on. All the guys were extremely helpful and only to willing to help out. :D Had a blast at ground handling too.

Hopefully heading over again tomorrow - weather permitting.

Well enjoyable. :D

• 2 months later...

Hi Barry (and everyone else on the thread),

I live just outside Ayr and I am in the same boat you were in and keen to get any info and advice on paramotoring.

I got my PPL in 1991, spent a couple of years keeping current on Cessnas then moved onto microlights and bought my own machine in 93. I sold my microlight in July this year because since moving to Ayrshire in 2005 I just did not get enough flying done mainly because I had to tow and rig and the weather was limiting. I need something I can rig very quickly and grab an hour here and there at short notice, paramotoring seems ideal. I completed a paragliding EPC course a couple of years ago so know I will enjoy it.

Ideally It would be great to meet some experienced locals to get some advice and look at the kit involved.

Cheers

Steve

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Pete and Hutch,

I spent a day with the local lads last year at Ardeer. All were very helpful in showing me round their kit and talking about paramotoring. That was last November, and due to a new baby and moving house I haven't done any training yet. Planning to head over to Spain over the next few weeks and get some training there. Should be ready to fly here , all going well in the New Year time.

Andy Mc I have lost your number mate due to baby destroying my phone... If you can send me a text on same mobile number...

Best of luck and hope we meet at some point..

Barry.