revo beginner trim settings?

macey2kk

revo beginner trim settings  

5 members have voted

1. 1. revo beginner trim settings

• slow for take off and landing - fast once airborne
    • slow for take off and landing - slow in flight until more experienced.

as a beginner with a new revo 30 im looking for advice on trim settings...

i know on take off and landings to keep on slow, but as a beginner and understanding also that these wings are more stable on fast trim - should i go to fast once airborne, or keep to slow despite being less stable?

dilema!!!

Hi

I am a beginner too. Have had 15 flights and about 8 hours, with all but the first two flights on my Revolution 28.

My experience for what it's worth is that I got onto full reflex on my first Revolution flight to make the most of the increased protection from collapses. I then realised that I had become a bit dependant on it at the expense of confidence steering with the brakes and have made a concious decision over the last few flights to have some time on slower trim settings making tighter manouveres!

As a beginner I tend to fly in conditions that are safe for all trim settings from neutral to full reflex, and so use the trim settings that I want to at the time.

If I am trying to catch up with a flying mate, if it gets a bit bumpy, want to make progess over the ground or through stronger winds then I go to full reflex and use weight shift along with my retro-fit tip steering kit (which has made a world of improvement from pulling the stabilo lines as I did for quite a few flights!)

If there is low wind and I don't need to make progress, or just want to wang it around using the brakes then I use 1 or 2 inch of trim.

Take-off always 1 inch. Landing either full slow in low wind or 1 inch in higher winds.

I love the confidence that this wing inspires on all trim settings. Even when the engine has let me down, the wing seems to look after me!

To conclude I can't vote as I feel that the answer lies somewhere between the two options!

Best regards,

Ian.

It's no dilemma, the transition from slow to fast trim is a gentle pressure with your thumbs on the release catches to slowly let the trims out, no drama just smoother & safer flight. It took me a flight or so to get round to it and now it's just routine. Slow trim does get you higher faster, and is good for thermalling but it's not worth worring about as you will know yourself when you are ready to change trim settings.

One last thing, don't forget to check your takeoff trim settings as part of your PFC's as it's possible to accidentally change them while ground handling.

A question for you guru's out there!!!

Nil wind launches - I just have trouble forward launching with the Paramania Revolution.

You get forward motion and then BANG you hit a brick wall!!!!

Should I just hesitate and allow the wing to rise overhead and then nail it with the power from the motor? Just worried about being sent backwards etc etc!!!!!

Tips very much appreciated.

Mike

pap Ros 125 oh and the Paramania Revolution!!!

Not an expert in the revolution particularly but have flown it on the tip to tip and had to learn how to launch it.

Forward launch in general, you move forward and pause keeping the pressure forward until the wing starts to move forward. So in your terms move forward and press against that brick wall but do not move forwrard until the brick wall disintegrates.

Once you are able to move forward introduce the power in proportion to your forward speed and accelerate smoothly to flying speed. depending on your weight and wing loading and available power this can be anything from half throttle (me on my macro) to full throttle (me on my old PAP). The important thing is that you attain flying speed and get lifted off the ground.

But you cannot run at 25 kph (nil wind ground speed) so how can you take off? you dont run! you have to let the motor push you faster and faster as you lean back and look at the sky 45 degrees above the horizon. This puts your prop disc blowing downwards and reducing your apparent weight so reducing the airspeed needed to lift you. Your feet are allowing you to move forward in a John Cleese like silly walk/run. If you are trying to run as in leaning forward and going like the clappers you are on a hiding to nothing. Nil wind take offs require as little effort as windy ones. It is all about technique.

I hate the term "nail it". Always apply controls smoothly and progressively, remember throttle is a pitch and climb rate control.

SO

1. arrange wing carefully in an arc 90 degrees to whatever wind there is. Take time and trouble over this.

2. set yourself up between the lines and take a step backwards to have slack lines, engine ticking.

3. move forward smartly; the revo comes up without much effort but needs to move and keep moving. your hands are at your shoulders holding the A risers but not pushing them, your belly does the pushing

4. pause but keep the pressure on at your "wall" . If it goes off the the side start over.

5. as the wing feels lighter and starts to let you move forward, go forward and introduce some power.

6. smoothly increase power as you lean against back the thrust moving forward all the time. Look at the sky at 10 oclock.

7. if all is straight and good allow yourself to be pushed forward, leaning back and accelerating.

8. keep accelerating with your legs kicking up in front of you until you are no longer touching the ground with each step.

9. keep on "running" for a bit until you are well clear iof the ground, sit down and increase power to full climb (whatever that is for your rig)

do steps 1 to 5 until you are sure you have it. then do steps 1 to 7 and abort. You need to know how to abort! so practise it. (always change throttle and control settings smoothly and progressively.)

Then do 1 to 9.

Better still get with an instructor and save yourself 250 quid.

Try this the next time its a nil wind day...

Lay out your Revo not paying any particular attention to the quality of the lay out.

hold both risers in one hand at the bottom. (the loops where it hooks on to the motor)

Hold the hand out behind you and run into wind.

keep running and the wing will pop up over your head.

So whats my point....

The less YOU do, the better the wing will come up. so just focus on a constant and progressive pressure and move over the ground into wind.

If you are worried about betting blown backwards it may be a reverse launch day.

Happy to take you through a nil wind forward launch any time you like. (same goes to anyone who wants it / needs it.)

This video may help

SW :D

Initially I struggled like a b*****d to forward launch my revo.

I was left on the ground when there was light/nil wind, scratching my head and wondering what I was doing wrong. The frustration just built more with every failed launch until I developed a bit of a Nil-wind-o-phobea, hoping for reverse conditions and dreading lighter winds.

It was only when I specifically asked for someone to watch my attempts and they said that the leading edge was folding under that the penny finally dropped. I think that I had been subconciously putting more and more pressure on the A's with every failure in the mis-apprehension that this would overcome the problem.

On the next attempt with lighter pressure I managed my first successful forward launch! Subsequently had a couple more successes, and not been left on the ground due to nil wind since.

Best regards,

Ian.

Initially I struggled like a b*****d to forward launch my revo.

I was left on the ground when there was light/nil wind, scratching my head and wondering what I was doing wrong. The frustration just built more with every failed launch until I developed a bit of a Nil-wind-o-phobea, hoping for reverse conditions and dreading lighter winds.

It was only when I specifically asked for someone to watch my attempts and they said that the leading edge was folding under that the penny finally dropped. I think that I had been subconciously putting more and more pressure on the A's with every failure in the mis-apprehension that this would overcome the problem.

On the next attempt with lighter pressure I managed my first successful forward launch! Subsequently had a couple more successes, and not been left on the ground due to nil wind since.

Best regards,

Ian.

i have to admit that im developing that fear -- i havent tried too many times yet -- but when there is nil wind im reluctant to have a go....

so are you saying that you now kind of release pressure on the A's once above the head and just use the risers to "push" the wing?

i understand that the revo is reluctant to fly forward of your head hence (unlike in a hill flyer) you dont need to brake the wing once it reaches overhead position - is this true?

i really appreciate the advice folks - for me im a logic guy and once i understand the theory i "usually" find the practice easier... fingers crossed!!!

I'm pleased to read that I'm not the only one that struggles with forward launches. After a nasty incident where i did a painful face plant while attempting a forward launch I tried to avoid them at all costs! It was only the fact that we went through an extended period of nil wind where it was forward launch or I didn't fly and the need to fly won. A number of instructors and pilots have given me tips on how to successfully forward launch most of which contradict each other. I have found that applying power as the wing comes up assists the inflation of the wing puts me in a position and allows me to start the takeoff run immediately the wing is over head without any hesitation. However most of my friends successfully forward launch without the use of power until they are already moving forward. It seems to me that you find the method that works for you and stick with it.

I have also found that getting a friend to video tape my launches and landings allows me to monitor my performance and make adjustments to my technique where required.

Alan

If you want to see how Francis launches the Revo' you will need to wait until release of the tip to tip DVD where on first launch Francis does a great job. LOL.

Well done Francis. You are a star. X

Regards

Whitters. :lol:

well I sincerely hope there will be "before" and "after" shots editted in!

or my credibility will be in splitters.

It is hard to say exactly...

Because there is so much footage to edit, music to add, and other stuff left to do. I secretly hope that they will be ready for November some time but there is no substance to that...

The film crew are coming up here at some point very soon so I will ask 'how they are getting on'

How many copies do you want for Saudi? recon you could sell a few?

SW :D

I might take you up Simon on the forward launch tips/help?!

Video clip was helpful and Francis's explanation and clarification.......text book stuff!!

I think I just need the practice and ensure that I have exactly that..........nil wind to try it!!!

Moving forward and then hesitating a fraction when the 'brickwall' is met to allow the wing to catch up and then progressively move forward and 'nail' the power on.......sorry Francis apply progressive power sounds like the ticket.

Practice, practice and practice................if that doesnt help then......................MORE PRACTICE!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Mike

well I sincerely hope there will be "before" and "after" shots editted in!

or my credibility will be in splitters.

Francis; Who said you had any credibility? :lol: JOKE. A man of your knowledge and experience in flying these fickle things will need more than a few odd hickups to destroy any credability. He who has made no mistakes has never tried. Its easy to stick at what you are best at and never reach out for new horizons.

Hopefully see you soon for a flight.

Regards.

Whitters.