Ground Crew are sorted.

All,

Today I tested a snazzy set up for the ground crew.....

I was driving along, with my laptop on the passenger seat running Mem map & Google Earth, connected via Orange Wireless Dongal to the internet, with my GPS 96c sat byside it plugged in via USB, and........

The end result is this...

The ground crew can drive along connected to the net to the Google Earth page that will show our live position via live 'SPOT' tracking system every 10 mins

This can be compared with the Mem map exact location of the van!!!!

Thus, they will always be able to find us!! :-) ????

I HOPE!!!

Great system! Great fun!

Will Work well enough (until Scotland) but then you will have a set of binos.

SW :D

Are we taking 2m radios for comms in scotland? a downed pilot will have his gps location and can relay this to other pilots in the air by pmr. A pilot in the air with 2m will be able to comm with the van for ten miles or more at 5 watts. I have a pair.

Francis,

what's the deal with the Orange dongle? Do you have to sign up for a 12 month contract? Are there any download limits? How much bandwidth is the set up that you've described likely to use.

It sounds really interesting I wouldn't mind a demo the next time that we meet up.

Regards.

Togsie

It is I who has the Orange Dongal.

I was actually testing with the next doors unit but will be off to get one some time this week.

I think it will cost about £20 per month.

The ground crew will only need to use it if they dont know where we are (rather than all the time)

SW :D

Just asked but she in the wrong department for that type of thing. You'd need to look at the corporate sponsorship side of them, I guess the same department that sponsors the hot air balloons!

No idea how but will try to find out!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who uses a BT home hub can opt in to their partnership with Fon.

In return for 'donating' a tiny bit of your own bandwidth, you get a share of all the other people who have also opted in for free. looking at their claimed coverage, this should give a laptop with BT internet pretty good internet access throughout most of the route.

From a daily upload and backup point of view that might be worth a go as well?