Spain paramotor training.... It's just not worth it!!

This is a very interesting subject and i dont think there is one perfect route for everyone to go down. As i said above i have been down both routes, UK training and training abroad. Both of which i paid up front for. First one in the uk ended up costing me over a grand and got me nowhere, worse than that it actually put me off the sport for a few years. Second attempt (1 week in uk 1 week in italy) i again paid up front but came away completely satisfied and able to fly.  It did not work for everyone mind. There were a couple of guys on the first week (who had also paid up front) who never made it into the air and gave up. There was also 1 guy who spent the first week ground handling and then went onto the second week in italy but still never got to fly let alone carry out all the tasks. It was not because of the location or the training because it was the same for all of us. He just couldnt get it!  Some people cant.

In short if i was to do it all over again i would of started by going abroad in the first place. Again only my opinion.

39 minutes ago, steelmesh said:

I'm taking the Spain APPI Pilot Course through SkySchool in a couple months, is there a problem with SkySchool in Spain?!

https://www.skyschooluk.com/learn-paramotoring/appi-ppg

Skyschool are great. Excellent instructors and the APPI course is aimed to leave you confident to fly on your own. One thing people seem to forget about the training courses is that APPI requires 15 powered flights before you can pass your pilot course. The BHPA Club Pilot qualification only needs 5 flights (I think, maybe someone can reply?) as it is intended that you then go and fly in a club. So when people are taking the micky out of foreign training and saying that trainees come back and need more training....well in many cases that is because they have not done 15 flights yet!!!!!

I trained with Skyschool over 2 one week periods and have flown with them twice since then on their adventures. Really great bunch.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Skyschool are great. Excellent instructors and the APPI course is aimed to leave you confident to fly on your own. One thing people seem to forget about the training courses is that APPI requires 15 powered flights before you can pass your pilot course. The BHPA Club Pilot qualification only needs 5 flights (I think, maybe someone can reply?) as it is intended that you then go and fly in a club. So when people are taking the micky out of foreign training and saying that trainees come back and need more training....well in many cases that is because they have not done 15 flights yet!!!!!

I trained with Skyschool over 2 one week periods and have flown with them twice since then on their adventures. Really great bunch.

I agree. A very good school.

10 hours ago, AndyB said:

BHPA syllabus requires students to fly a minimum of 5 inner circuits and a minimum of 2 outer circuits, but these are perfect flights so if the student doesn't nail the take off or the landing then that doesn't count, so if you are a very competent student you can get away with the minimum but most have around 10 flights, my last 2 students in Spain had 14 and 12 flights, the later has then been with me back in the UK and completed 10 more but he still wants me to coach him further, everyone is different and no 2 students are the same, this is just a quick way to try and drum up a bit of business, although I've not been to many of the fly inns I believe there are several British trained pilot's that should not be out of a school let alone flying with a large group, there was a great video of a few doing lands end to John o grotes that I thought was a perfect example of this, yes they could fly but a few more days in a proper school wouldn't go a moss, As I have said you can't tarnish every school with the same brush, when my students leave the Italy school they then join the UK school to build up the hrs, I am lucky I am able to run the 2 schools or maybe the students are lucky they have this option either way everyone is satisfied.

• Like 1