Sky 110LC Engine Outs Help

avalore

Hi all, looking for some help/ideas on diagnosing engine outs I've been experiencing.
Here's a bit of history and work that's been done so far.

Just before experiencing these outs the gasket on the muffler had perished so that was changed - used exhaust sealant (was previously the paper type gasket - could be an issue?)

The next 3 launches following this I had an engine out within 1 minute - this seemed to be because of excessive air in the lines.
I changed all fuel lines and removed the primer bulb completely (opting to breathe into the tank to get pressure to prime instead).
This solved the engine outs on launch. Could no longer see air in the lines and engine running fine on the ground and take off.

I'm experiencing engine outs after 5-10 minutes. Two flights yesterday, engine out 5 minutes in on the first and 10 minutes in on the second.

Leading up to these two engine outs I was cruising/maintaining altitude and then wanted to gain height.
Applied more throttle and felt like I wasn't getting the power. 
About 5 seconds after trying to apply full throttle the engine died, like it wasn't getting the fuel or air in the line.

I was told to run at 3% mix but have since found out that everyone else with these runs at 2.5% so was planning to switch after I'd used the fuel already in the tank.

Any ideas? Things to try/look for?

Carb kit on the way and going to replace the filter in the tank.

21 hours ago, Nigel C said:

This could be a mixture problem. Especially as you have removed your primer bulb. Have you checked your spark plug colour after landing?

Spark plug looks good. Interested why removing the bulb could mean it's a mixture problem? (do you mean oil or air/fuel?). New to the motor side of flying to still learning (a lot)

Reading your first post again: "Leading up to these two engine outs I was cruising/maintaining altitude and then wanted to gain height.
Applied more throttle and felt like I wasn't getting the power. 
About 5 seconds after trying to apply full throttle the engine died, like it wasn't getting the fuel or air in the line."

If the engine struggles/sputters to stay running with full throttle it's probably rich, if it just dies/stalls while full throttle it's probably lean.  This could be related to an issue with the high speed circuit of the carb or a fuel flow problem were high power demand requires more fuel flow.  Also, be sure to pull the reeds and inspect the reeds when you pull the carb.

• Like 1

hi avalore you need to rebuild carburetor with original membranes parts(recommending  http://www.rowenacarbs.co.uk/)  ,use white membranes which is etanol resistant also you need to check pop off presure ,need to be between 12÷15psi ,looks like your motor are flooded by fuel  mixcture ,check also needle valve licking ,should stay close until 12psi,debris from parish exhaust gasket can bee everywhere include inlet and carb pump port

Edited by Dariuszk24
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, avalore said:

I don't. There's a labrador next door and my daughter plays with Guinea Pigs at school, would they count?

Cats are devious creatures who can never be trusted and it's  obvious that one has been using your paramotor whilst you are at work.

if I were you I'd up my garage security and install CCTV.

A Labrador?

Nah, a Labby would only want to fly tandem accompanied by his master, and who has ever heard of flying Guinea pigs, that'd be ridiculous.

Edited by Hann__

• 1 month later...

glad you sorted it, the general advise with problems like yours is first changed the carb kit and some people say do this as an annual maintenance as its quite cheap and the modern fuel affects the carb membranes.

I also have had engine issues but finally found that the reed valve body was damaged/leaking a replacement solved that issue but it took ages to find!

Can be very frustrating at times