newbie from midlands UK

Hi folks,

I was looking at starting paramotoring. I was hoping you guys could help me out with where to train. I am close to coventry in the UK. I have done some paragliding. I have my EP and was working towards CP in paragliding. 

I saw a few places but the basic course on skyschool, for example, said 'most people flying at least once' which seems very little. I understand there is a large amount of weather dependence, but I would have hoped for a bit more intensive training than this with much more sky time and I am assuming that the rest of the week would be in classroom, where they would discuss much of the same things that I would have covered in paragliding. 

Is that correct or am I thinking wrong? Is there an option that you think would fit me best?

Kira

Hi Kira, 

We (and others) have actually stopped taking on students whom this has happened too (already been on a course overseas). 

The issue for us is, the pilots have been lead to believe that they are ready to fly and 'may' have had one flight. When they return to the UK and realise they actually don't have the confidence to fly at home and phone around the UK schools. 

We used to say yes to these people but have recently decided NOT to take in any more. This is mainly because:

1 They arrive at the field on a downer (rather than our normal customers who are super keen and happy!) 

2 They often expect to have some kind of fast tracked process and don't want to pay for our training (because they have already paid someone else)

3. They often lack basic ground skills as its normally the first time they have ground handled a wing in anything other than a sea breeze.  

Fast tracked training = lack of confidence. This has been very evidential over the last 3-5 years.

SW :D

Si

Unless I've missed a post or two you've missed the point...Kira hasn't trained overseas yet but has been flying in UK as a EP pg pilot but is considering overseas training .  She has looked for pm training abroad but is dismayed by the fact that she might fly only once in the course.  

Kira, most of Simon's training (anyones) won't be classroom but in the field...its ground handling which takes time as you know from yiur EP.  

Simon's point about training abroad is interesting...pilots of any aircraft who do ab initio training abroad will often struggle in UK conditions. 

Perhaps Kira should phone Simon?

Sorry to poke me nose but I can see confusion unfolding. I think 

D

Fare enough. 

I haven't seen the adverts but was a bit surprised. There's no way i would pay for a flying training holiday on the basis that I MIGHT fly once!  

I did read a few that dismayed me with all the "if yiu land hard and bend the frame, you pay. If you scratch it, you pay, if you snag the canopy, you pay" stuff.  What do they expect from students...???  The last thing a student needs is fear of bankruptcy I'd have thought. 

• Like 1

The Skyschool "everyone flying st least once" is the starter course to get people through their first flight. It is IN NO WAY ever described as you are being able to fly on your own. If you read the APPI syllabus you will see the "first flight" is just the first step, getting a pilot to solo and then see if they wish to progress further to full pilot after that. You are qualified to fly on your own after 15 flights, having followed the full course. 

I haven't been on a trip abroad and I wasn't really even considering one.  I just wanted to ask if after finishing of my CP course three was a fast track as they share a lot of theory (I imagine) that let's you get up quicker. 

I'm quite patient and positive. I don't know why asking this would mean otherwise but whatever! 😜

5 minutes ago, AndyB said:

The Skyschool "everyone flying st least once" is the starter course to get people through their first flight. It is IN NO WAY ever described as you are being able to fly on your own. If you read the APPI syllabus you will see the "first flight" is just the first step, getting a pilot to solo and then see if they wish to progress further to full pilot after that. You are qualified to fly on your own after 15 flights, having followed the full course. 

Thanks Andy 

Andy,thanks is APPI to BHPA as PADI is to BSAC in diving terms?

PADI is how the world dives, BSAC is how some Brits THINK the world oughtnto dive and BSAC looks down it's nose at PADI. Truth is PADI works just as well, maybe better...

Edited by DavidG4
  • Like 1

So my question was does my paragliding  EP/CP training (in the UK) allow me to get up faster as I imagine they share theory and handling skills or should I sign up for a full course? 

I just want to know what to look for. 

Edited by Kira Zilla

30 minutes ago, DavidG4 said:

Thanks Andy 

Andy,thanks is APPI to BHPA as PADI is to BSAC in diving terms?

PADI is how the world dives, BSAC is how some Brits THINK the world oughtnto dive and BSAC looks down it's nose at PADI. Truth is PADI works just as well, maybe better...

Yes, you can become "BHPA power" rated from "APPI pilot" just by taking the BHPA written exam (which is the same as the one you do for APPI). 

8 minutes ago, Kira Zilla said:

So my question was does my paragliding  EP/CP training (in the UK) allow me to get up faster as I imagine they share theory and handling skills or should I sign up for a full course? 

You're not being ignored...

You need to phone around I think.  Whilst it seems this forum is the centre of the universe, it is just a forum...

43 minutes ago, Kira Zilla said:

In the overseas course, if you have experience, then you get to fly faster. They test your skills to start with and then you progress at the rate that you can. In my course of 6 people only me completed the 15 flights. Others had to book further training at a later date. I have heard people say overseas training will try and rush people through in the time available. I trained with Skyschool and that was definitely not the case. They progressed everyone at the speed each individual could handle. 

If you can ground handle well, then you will just need to do the engine training, ground handle with the machine on your back, then you will be in the air. 

Is this the case for all schools abroad? Or are there good and bad?

When I did some research there were some strong recommendations for one particular school (skyhighppg)

And also schools in the UK that people were scathing about.

It does seem a bit of a minefield for a beginner knowing what to do for the best.

Edited by paraflyer17