Sign in to follow this  
MosterZ

next wing after flying ozone spyder

hey,

looking for a upgrade after 50h on the spyder.

i dropped my eye on the snake as a turbulence proof fast all around wing with high fun ratio , but people telling me its maybe a too big leap comming from the spyder.

looking for 

-fast wing

-passive safety

-2d steering

any thoughts?

greetings

TBH it depends upon which Snake you're talking about. I'm now flying a snake 1.2 for 'fun' but kept my nucleon xx for XC flying. The snake is a really great wing but I was warned away from the Snake XX with my experience level (about 180 hours). I think it is recommended at 300+hrs!

TBH the snake 1.2 is noticeably unstable compared to the Nuc XX... and great fun, but nothing scary. Its definitely a hands on wing 80% of the time. I have used it for XC's but it will oscillate due to being a that bit more unstable, but that is easily dampened out once you're hands on. Its just great fun to throw about and is extremely precise - a real pleasure to fly. 

I guess like all these things if you treat it with respect all should be OK. If you do make a mistake, or misjudge, the penalty on a feisty wing you're not familiar with could be catastrophic. I saw this first hand in the U.S. with a very experienced pilot... and this helped steer me to the 1.2 over the XX!

I'm not familiar with the Spyder, is that on a par with the Dudek Nucleon xx?

The spyder is the lightweight version of the roadster 2 from ozone.  Beginner / intermediate.

The nucleonxx maybe would be a better choice for me, but I was told it didn't behave well in turbulent air. 

How is the speed of the nucleonxx compared to the snake 1.2? And why do you prefer it for xc? fuel efficiency?

how is the climb rate compaired to the snake?

Edited by MosterZ

I've certainly never heard that it isn't good in turbulent air, nor found that to be the case. I've flown in some mucky old shite too! I do know you need to keep it pressurised in deep wingovers though, but I do that anyway. The Nucleon xx is pretty fast (i'm at the top of its weight range but cruise at about 32mph) but the Snake 1.2 feels much faster (but then it would). As such it needs to be respected.

Personally at face value I think you may want to look at a good intermediate wing like a Nuc xx, Report Air, Speedster 2 or Scirocco 2. A friend has recently moved from a Nuc xx to a Scirocco 2 and absolutely loves it. But it also depends upon what sort of flying you want to do.

IMHO I think you should talk to instructors like Simon, Clive or Chilly as they all have loads of experience, they know what to ask you and they know the wings better than someone like myself. You may even get to try before you buy that way!

Best of luck with it and fly safe!

On 05/02/2019 at 11:29, Lee Jackson said:

I'm now flying a snake 1.2 for 'fun' but kept my nucleon xx for XC flying.

Did you try a Hadron/xx?

Know anything about them?

I was very, very tempted to get one... I hear great things about them. But then I'm genuinely really happy with my Nucleon XX - I still really enjoy flying it (I did a couple of flights with it Sunday). In essence I don't feel I've outgrown it. So in my mind I went with the Snake as more of a play wing to compliment the Nuc for XC. As I understand it the hadron is slightly more XC and so I decided not to have two XC focussed wings. That's my logic anyway.

1 hour ago, MosterZ said:

Isn't the sirocco a step down from the nucleon xx?

I genuinely do not know the answer to this! I know its the lightened version of the Speedster 2 and the one below the Freeride in the Ozone range but other than that I just don't know enough about Ozone wings.
I may be shot for saying this... but from my limited experience Ozone wings seem slower than Dudek (for the same wing size). But speed definitely isn't everything. If anyone knows better/more please do feel free to put me right!!!

If you like the spyder go for the Speedster 2 or Sirocco2 There Both EN-C but jumping onto any snake with 50 hours is crazy IMO...  I get this question alot from people who think they are out flying there current wing but in reality there no where near out flying the wing..  My main questions would be why are you changing? what are you looking for in the next wing that your old one doesn't do for you?...   If it's a little more speed and agility try moving down a size thus keeping your EN-B caritoristics (if your still in the smaller wings wing loading and test cert)