Moster 185 plus driving me crazy! rpm skipping- power band not constant

Jo-bkfire

Hi all,

I jist did my 25h maintenance and all hell broke loose!

I never had a problem with my power band, my cruise flying level used to be at 5800rpm to 6400rpm (depend on trims setting). However, now when I power up to 5600rpm, all is smooth, then as i add throttle to cruise at level there are no change in the rpm, and as i add throttle squeezing 2 to 3 mm then suddenly the power jumps and rpm instantly goes to 6700rpm where I am climbing!

All this after working on the carb adjusting the hi/lo and my motor runs at slightly rich setting.

Note: Today i cleaned the throttle cable and handle, and then changed the carb putting one from my friend's, the problem persist! Still power jumps at 5600rpm!

Any ideas what else to do?? Could it be related to dust or exhaust?!

Edited by Jo-bkfire

hmm, check all fuel pipes connections..and then double check.. run the engine look to see any air bubbles.or get a squeezer bottle part to fill with water and a tiny bit of fairey liquid.while on tick over. secure frame . at idle squirt fairy liquid at fuel connectors.and look to see any bubbles. check wire connectors at the coil. and all electrical wire connectors that may be loose. that may cause any problem. check the tube connector that comes from carb case. alloy cast.squirt fairey there too. and look. renew spark plug . double check coil. take cylinder top off recheck re tighten. or tighten. .update 11/1/19 have you checked the parts i mentioned? these are my ideas.....

With such low hours on your motor i'd get in touch with clive at Bulldog, and hopefully he'll have a better answer for you, unusual as numerous people i fly with and my trainer all have Moster's and apart from exhaust rings and the odd Carb kit they run spot on.

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, you have a change in rpm that you are not used to seeing at cruise?  Like the rpm to maintain level flight at cruise is now higher that what it used to be?  Because if this is indeed the case then you simply have a loose drive belt.  That's what I had on my motor at 25hrs and it did this exact symptom....that and the peak rpm would occasionally spike 400-500 rpms higher than normal.

Thanks all for your input!

Beleive it or not, and as expected, it was going to be a simple stupid issue! It was the throttle.

Though i cleaned the throttle from sand, it seems  the spring is skipping a millimetre at these rpms. I tested it by putting a wire directly on the carb. throttle lever, and ramped it up and it was smooth.

My throttle is the standard polini one that comes with the maverick.

Am gona change it. Check the video where am not applying throttle, only upsing the wire to the carb lever...

Prob solved! 

so wait, you had grit and sand in the throttle handle and it was hanging up?  ok, yeah I can see that.  I have the same throttle on my rig too.  I have the same unit too, just different motor.  Had my handle open working on a top secret modification while I was grounded waiting on parts.  I'll share more of that later. 

Glad you got it squared away.