Yay, 2 flights in 2 days

alan_k

Well after moaning about the bogging weather a week ago I though I should re-balance things by saying I've been flying.

Shirley said I was a bit like a caged bird, apart from the moaning.

Thursday was very overcast, low cloudbase but virtually no wind, yay! Flew over Clent and on to Frankly services on the M5 motorway. I could see a very long path of a new water pipeline that is going in so followed that for a while. So great to have our viewpoint on the world.

Friday saw rather more wind so flew upwind as far as Perton, steady wind but slower progress. Checked out some of the huge bonfires being prepared, it's a whopper at Himly Hall. A lot brighter day but getting colder on the way back, more through travelling faster going downwind.

Forgot to take the camera on both days, doh!

Airspeed the same depending on the trimmer settings but groundspeed very different.

I usually have trimmers out for into wind and trimmers at neutral (slow) for downwind, guessing the groundspeed upwind was about 12mph and groundspeed downwind about 36mph.

3 hours ago, alan_k said:

Airspeed the same depending on the trimmer settings but groundspeed very different.

I usually have trimmers out for into wind and trimmers at neutral (slow) for downwind, guessing the groundspeed upwind was about 12mph and groundspeed downwind about 36mph.

I took an anenometer (wind speed indicator) with me yesterday. Only a small hand held one, and held it up as high as I could reach to get an idea of airspeed. It varied a little from time to time but between 23 and 24 mph, so I guess about the same as your average.

Non reflex Ozone Magmax, trimmers out only an inch or so to help initial inflation.

On 10/28/2017 at 08:27, alan_k said:

Well after moaning about the bogging weather a week ago I though I should re-balance things by saying I've been flying.

Shirley said I was a bit like a caged bird, apart from the moaning.

Thursday was very overcast, low cloudbase but virtually no wind, yay! Flew over Clent and on to Frankly services on the M5 motorway. I could see a very long path of a new water pipeline that is going in so followed that for a while. So great to have our viewpoint on the world.

Friday saw rather more wind so flew upwind as far as Perton, steady wind but slower progress. Checked out some of the huge bonfires being prepared, it's a whopper at Himly Hall. A lot brighter day but getting colder on the way back, more through travelling faster going downwind.

Forgot to take the camera on both days, doh!

I went up on Friday...........a beautiful day, but I found it really thermic my way (south Shropshire). Came down at midday after an hour or so.

Spoke to a friend in Leicestershire who went up to see how it  was for him, to be told that his canopy had surged on landing and face planted him :(. All ok and no damage to him or machine, but a little shaken. I am trying to learn as much as possible about weather conditions for flying and wondered if any else had experienced anything unpleasant. 

What have I learned.............fluffy cumulous really do pack a punch and there is still plenty of strength in the sun even at this time of year.