Adam J Edgar Paramotoring Low along Cowan Creek Sydney Australia on misty morning

Hi guys,

there are times when one simply cannot resist the urge to take the risk of getting wet...this was one such morning. A flight i have since repeated in the afternoon just a few days ago when the tide wall the way out and most of this river was lined with large sand bars along its shores (sorry i didnt have gopro on the second flight). I was delighted to experience the wonder of flying along at water level with mist rising all around me, then to go up into the inversion and fog a little further into the flight was awesome. The reflection of the terrain on the water was so crystal clear one could easily turn the world upside down and not know the difference.

The funny thing was, at around the 5 minute mark i remember thinking to myself, wow wouldnt it be great water skiing on that river right now...it was soooo glassy!

Just for interest to those who may want to know, the water depth to the south of the marina (where i was flying at water level and the creek is quite narrow), is only very shallow. At low tide most of the area where i do the 360 with the wingtip only a foot or two off the water is dry sand at low tide.

descent down into and along the creek starts at the 1 minute mark.

Edited by adamjedgar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That was absolutely beautiful and I envy you where you live and fly, but I know if it was me I would always think...........what if my engine cut out, where would I go? So I would climb back out to gain height and miss the experience :(.

Sometimes being cautious can be a real pain in the *rse.

16 hours ago, Guy said:

That was absolutely beautiful and I envy you where you live and fly, but I know if it was me I would always think...........what if my engine cut out, where would I go? So I would climb back out to gain height and miss the experience :(.

Sometimes being cautious can be a real pain in the *rse.

absolutely right Guy...one of the good things is that the narrow part of the flight is over really shallow water (only a foot or so deep). However, where i flew through the fog over the wide section there is little place to go except a boat, or near the edge of the river.

I once had another situation too where i had to make a very bad choice...there were two humpback whales breaching out of the water about 1 km off the coast where i fly. Do i go out to them and get a once in a lifetime experience, or not? I went out to them, however i stayed a lot higher than this, about 900 feet above sea level with a 15 knot tail wind back to shore. At the time i knew that 900 feet with a 15 knot tail wind and 1km out to sea was probably marginal at best..an engine failure that day would have been really bad i think because the swell running on the day was over 2 metres.

I try my best to always were a life vest these days...even when i dont plan on flying near water. In reality, there is water within distance of where ever i fly around here so its better to just wear it anyway...one never knows.

I am glad you guys like the view, and my aim is not to show off my stupidity...just to illustrate a beautiful side of this world that most people do not get to see.

• Like 2