A simple question

now the rules re trikes under 70Kg are here and effectivly eliminate the disability exemption does it mean one can train on a trike, or has the CAA done for people wishing to fly paratrikes what a visit to Lourdes hasnt ,so far I have been told you still need to do foot launch training before moving to trikes, which does seem at odds with the concept of a fair playing field, any wisdom imparted is most welcome

• Upvote 1

Both the PMC and the BHPA are currently writing a training sylibuss. Legally yes, but non of the UK based training organisations is quite ready to 'roll it out' yet. 

As I guess, I would say that we (PMC) will be ready in 3-4 weeks time I am not sure about the BHPA but I would guess about the same. 

SW :D

Just for info. Skyschool already do Trike training as many of their customers are outside UK....where Trikes were already allowed. Follows APPI training programme I believe. 

There has been quite some publicity re their veteran with no legs that learnt on trike then flew some big challenges like John O'Groats to Lands End!

At the moment it looks very much like the AXA Policy (the only non linked policy that APPI or ANYONE can get) will not meet the CAA requirements of insurance for the aircraft type. So it's likely that any APPI taught people will now require either a PMC or BHPA sign off to get adequate insurance to be legal to fly a trike in the UK. 

Until the APPI find an underwriter to underwrite the sylibuss (rather than a policy that someone who purchased from e-bay can go and buy) this will remain the case. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So if I am a BHPA paraglider Club Pilot (relapsed but none the less I can pay my dues and get third party insurance), then 'technically' I don't need to be signed-off (complete 'formal' PMC training syllabus)  to gain 3rd party insurance as my BHPA membership will cover it?

With that in mind, there is 'technically' no reason why I can not just go out and by a motor and fly as long as I fulfil my moral obligation to ensure I have 3rd party cover?

Eddie

Hi Eddie, 

As a BHPA CP Pilot, you will only be covered for 3rd party to Paraglide. For your insurance to be valid with them to Paramotor, you will need to do a 'power rating' and your 'pilot rating'

As it stand's I think CP pilots are insured to fly not more than 5-km away from an instructor. One has to be pilot rated for this. 

Also, as an existing BHPA paragliding pilot, the PMC system allows for you to get our insurance immediately. Although we do like to 'assess' a little first, as we have found many, in fact most of the CP pilots require a couple of days  to find a happy place and feel confident. 

Another point to note: There is no legal requirement for you to be insured (assuming foot launching) but it is of course the sensible thing to do :-) 

4 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

Hi Eddie, 

As a BHPA CP Pilot, you will only be covered for 3rd party to Paraglide. For your insurance to be valid with them to Paramotor, you will need to do a 'power rating' and your 'pilot rating'

As it stand's I think CP pilots are insured to fly not more than 5-km away from an instructor. One has to be pilot rated for this. 

Also, as an existing BHPA paragliding pilot, the PMC system allows for you to get our insurance immediately. Although we do like to 'assess' a little first, as we have found many, in fact most of the CP pilots require a couple of days  to find a happy place and feel confident. 

Another point to note: There is no legal requirement for you to be insured (assuming foot launching) but it is of course the sensible thing to do :-) 

Top man - don't want to end down a dead end with insurance just because I am not a BHPA member.....................:-)

• Upvote 1

• 6 years later...

For ref

insurance on a trike can be got through one of three insurance companies who are British not Austrian however they only cover to a single item value max of £2500 

Im working with the underwriters to see if they will increase the value

My latest quote is only £65 per annum to fly as a registered disable trike owner however until they increase the single item value or maximum full set up value I won’t take out the policy with them

Austria are on thin ice with me as I’ve a clear case for discrimination as a disabled person

thirdy part insurance no problem but pilots insurance was declined after I told them I was an amputee

erm so legal action maybe forth coming I’m awaiting there response Feb24

Also grandfather rights may apply if you have current insurance and then rules change

the FAA ain’t that bothered at sub 70 category since it’s only a single pilot and if you realy want to be a skin flint you can get 3rd party liability cover and nothing else for less than twenty quid but don’t expect anything in the event of a crash lol

Insure4sport is doing decent third party cover

as for training and insurance

thats another story

show me a uk qualified and certified instructor!

there isn’t such a thing

only experience and gentleman’s agreements

FAA doesn’t recognise any uk certificate

Ive I’ve spoken with them many times

And dealt with them for many years in the aviation buisness