it slightly turns left

Hello to everybody.

Last saturday I performed my first medium-range flight (abt. 30 km.) and I noticed how I had to frequently intervene with right brake light tractions in order to keep a straight route, since the wing had the constant tendence to lightly turn left.

I have to exclude the wind, since it happened both on the gone and return route, with opposite wind directions. The harness is correctly tuned, the trims were setted in the same exact specular position (1/3 open).

My engine is a vittorazi fly 100 (clockwise propeller ). Could it depend from only the torque effect (even in levelled flight a@ costant RPM ) ???

Edited by calcifer

3 minutes ago, morgy said:

does it turn the opposite direction when engine off?

well, I really cannot tell it.

I do turn off the engine only in the final phase of the landing, and in that occasion I'm so concentrated in the landing that I don't care.

If you mean when the engine is idling (my engine has the clutch) I would say that it goes straight.

There are many reasons why you might have a slight turn to one side:

Are your trimmers set to exactly the same position?

Do you keep equal pressure with both feet on the speedbar?

Are you perfectly central and symmetrical in your harness?

Do you have a side mounted reserve?

Do you have asymmetric weight (e.g. all your right side pockets full of keys, change, spanners etc?

Even with the high hang points of the Bailey 175, I can offset any yaw tendency either with the trimmers or asymmetric pressure on the speedbar.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ptwizz said:

There are many reasons why you might have a slight turn to one side:

Are your trimmers set to exactly the same position? yes, I've double checked during the flight, the trimmers are perfectly symmetrical

Do you keep equal pressure with both feet on the speedbar? don't have any speedbar installed

Are you perfectly central and symmetrical in your harness? Yes. I am

Do you have a side mounted reserve? No, I don't have any reserve installed

Do you have asymmetric weight (e.g. all your right side pockets full of keys, change, spanners etc? No, only smartphone in my right pocket

Even with the high hang points of the Bailey 175, I can offset any yaw tendency either with the trimmers or asymmetric pressure on the speedbar.

see my answers above.

So you think I could contrast the tendency of going left by closing just a little bit more the right trim ? or better to open a little bit the left ?

As written, i do takeoff and fly in nill wind with 1/3 of trimmers opened

Edited by calcifer

7 hours ago, calcifer said:

see my answers above.

So you think I could contrast the tendency of going left by closing just a little bit more the right trim ? or better to open a little bit the left ?

As written, i do takeoff and fly in nill wind with 1/3 of trimmers opened

If your turning and you have to add weight or offset trims to make you fly straight that's a Poorly designed machine!!!  

So first thing is first. 

When your flying. There is no wind. You are part of it. Think of your self as a little bubble floating around. Yes your ground speed changes. But you are now the wind so to answer your earlier question. Wind has no influence. Every machine has torque stear. Don't let any one kid you on that. Direct drive stears you right.  Direct clutch stears you left. Belt drive clutch stears you right. If you fly a dudek Wing they come with a torque line. This you set with a knot... several in fact depending on the power you have applied. If you don't have a torque line the only other way is to set your trim slightly faster on the on torque side. However... Unless you stay even on the power the hole flight it's pointless.  You'll spend all your time playing with trims instead of enjoying the view.  Hope that helps. 

Paul 

East to West Yorkshire paramotor club 

Bull dog paramotors dudek wings 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, asquaddie said:

On Dudek wings is there two position loops you can lock your carabiner in?

This enables you to off set it enough on either side.

my ITV dolpo wing has 2 hook points, one abt. 1/2 inch over the other.

So you say that hooking the right carbine on the upper hang point could solve the problem of the left turning ??

My Ozone Indy has 2 loops. As I understand, these are for use with high an low hang points. I have high hang points, so I use the upper loops.

I'm not sure how a paramotor and wing can be statically trimmed to fly straight at all power settings. All torque applied to the prop must be reacted through the risers and lines. Changing the balance of loads across the risers causes a turn (all other factors remaining equal). This is the same whether the load change comes from torque or weight shift.

41 minutes ago, calcifer said:

my ITV dolpo wing has 2 hook points, one abt. 1/2 inch over the other.

So you say that hooking the right carbine on the upper hang point could solve the problem of the left turning ??

My two Dudek loops are only a few mm apart and I do use the upper left one and the lower right one.  And it does help the torque a lot.

Can any one else confirm this is correct - I'm no expert on the wing sorry??

My old Synth used to do this and it was very noticeable - even on the first flight with it, it used to turn right so much that when looking at my GPS logs after a flight a `straight` track was a continuous series of arcs to the right with corrections to the left couteract them. The only time it flew straight was down-wind.

It was bloody annoying and got to be something of a preoccupation while flying.

The TEA line didn`t really help much.

Didn`t try the different hook-in points as slight trimmer adjustments would have the same effect which is something i tried as well.

Since changing my wing one of the very first things i noticed was it flew dead straight which is much more condusive to a satisfying flight!