Bad News: Help Required....

asquaddie

Had a nice flight - thought I had no problems with the motor.

Nice Landing, had a break, coffee and a wee break. :)

Got all the kit back on, helmet, radio & GPS ready, wing down and ready to go. Motor on my back - connect to the wing. Pressed the tit and felt a right tit - 'Click'. Pressed again 'Click'

Had a quick look and a few taps on the starter motor, but no obvious things to note!!! Went home...

Any help guys?

I re-charged the battery, had a closer look, but still the same. Pressed the start button and click. It sounds like it is coming from the reply switch. The motor does not turn at all - just get the click.

Any ideas would be really grateful, since I am mechanically 'dumb' it is hard to find the problem...

Motor as per my profile...............

:):):)

Tony

Click will be coming from the relay switch, that is all good , you won't normally hear it because starter motor noise then noise of engine starting will mask it.

I have had this and I'm afraid it is likely your starter packed up. If you start by disconnecting the power supply to the motor and check that you have 12v on that when you press the starter button- you probably will have, now carry on and remove the starter and bench test that . If it's not working electrically (ie it doesn't spin when tested) or if the bendix engagement gear is knackered ( gear not flying forward, or not staying forward while motor spins) you will need a new one. Spares are not available. ( well that's not quite true- I did find a spare bendix, but with shipping it was a substantial part of the cost of a whole new motor from PJ, about £120)

The bendix is usually the problem, so you will find plenty of people with the motor part intact (me included) but very few with working spare bendix, but check with SW- he did have one the last time this cropped up on here

Type "bendix" in the forum search and you will find plenty more on the subject.

Give me a ring if you want to talk through it.

Patrick

I do remember you had problems with yours in the past. I'm guessing my starter motor is the original one - so it's not that bad really :(

Many thanks for the info. When my guests depart :) I'll be straight on it.

It is a shame, because the last few days it has been really great flying weather down here. Even one down to Padstow and back :)

Cheers and I'll let you know when I deconstruct my motor................

Tony

Patrick

I do remember you had problems with yours in the past. I'm guessing my starter motor is the original one - so it's not that bad really :(

Many thanks for the info. When my guests depart :) I'll be straight on it.

It is a shame, because the last few days it has been really great flying weather down here. Even one down to Padstow and back :)

Cheers and I'll let you know when I deconstruct my motor................

Tony

It was that good reply - I sent it twice :)

:( Update

Checked the voltage on the starter motor and it looked OK. (note: and the battery)

So started to take the SM off to have a look inside. After taking the exhaust off and loosing the belt I was still unable to gather how it came bloody off. (Give my VBA programming any day :) )

I noticed that the red lead to the starter motor was loose - so I guessed that was the problem.

Re-assembled the motor and tried again - I 'think' the SM engaged then stopped and the relay clicking noise started again.

I checked the battery level and it was LOW. I know when I checked it before I took the machine apart it was good!!!

The battery is a Li-Po one with a built in test level

Now - I know the SM made a noise briefly and the clicking started again (I think this happen before). So is it the battery not holding a charge, the starter motor or something else????

Any help guys please - the weather is looking good down here tomorrow too.

Please note my machine is a Mark 1 Volution

Many thanks

Tony

Gary

:D To be honest, my plan was to take the SM off and have a look, but I failed - I could not find anyway to remove it!!!!

Then I saw the loose connection 'maybe' and with the sudden moment of the SM I was hoping it was something else. So I re-assembled the motor in hope.

So I am not sure.................

Fittings a Li Polymer to a v1 does not work. The v1 has a charging system and the Li Po will melt at best without the trick charger needed.

Either I assume you mean a lithium ion? If not, that will be the reason it's not working as soon as the motor starts to spin it will feed in a charge (into what is essentially a not chargeable battery)

SW :D

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

Simon

This is not the case. When I took my motor to Parajet a few years ago the guys removed the on board charging thingy. So now I remove the battery and charge it separately. (after problems with my battery at a fly-in)

Now I think my charger is not charging the battery correctly (my old RC Li-po charger) so I decided not to purchase a separate charger and go back to the old type (I have a few chargers and understand the tech more :) )

So I order a 'Lucas YT4LBS Motorbike Battery' for £15.44 and try to get the on board charging system to work again.

I am hoping this is my problem and it is not the starter motor now!!!!!

Tony (hoping :) )

:) Update

New battery came today and swapped over and fired up first time (even after me putting it back together again!!)

So good news all round, but Started it up and sounded normal, but it was difficult to turn OFF.

I had to leave my finger on the button for about 15 seconds before it stopped.

It has got a slightly fast tick over, but it has always had one and gave me no problems before.

I done such a good job trying to get it started and now I can't turn it off :)

Obviously my plan was to go flying later on this evening - any ideas???

Tony

(with motor still running (joke) )