Bailey V5 leaking oil

paul2289

During my preflight check i found some oil under the pump between the main casing and the plastic near the pull starter. I cleaned it of but it has come back after a 30 minute flight.

I guess i need to take the motor off and strip the starter pulley and plastic cowling off. Has anyone had this and are there any tips / suggestions as to where it might be coming from?

Here is a photo of it.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/133040592@N08/736wX3

If that white goop is a 'gasket' I suspect you need to replace the goop.

Before opening anything up, its worth checking all the casing bolts are torqued up correctly as they may have worked slightly loose over time.

Best of luck and here's to a quick solve for you!

SW :D

Did you check to see if they were a little loose first? May save you both a load of time. :-)

Over time the case bolts (of any engine) can stretch just a tiny tiny bit but enough to cause a leak.

SW :D

I've had a leak there for some time, nothing major just wipe it off once in a while. Incidentally, are you sure its oil?.. I have a problem with mine whereby when the carb rubber reaches around 6 hours I get carb frothing which apart from causing misfire on higher power settings, it also causes fuel to be vented out the overflow which causes what looks like oil spatter on the prop pylon. I can only imagine that petrol attracts dust and crap which accounts for the appearance.

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

its a reply to Nigel_d. About your carb rubber lasting around 6 hours. My V5 was doing exactly what you described until I made up an extra brace for the carb with another rubber mount, no more carb frothing or miss firing at full power. I can send pics of what my motor looks like now.

Yep, it still has the original mount on the drive mount.. And I fabricated the metal bracket and welded it to the steel side plate on the carb. I shortened the spacers on the engine mounts by the thickness of the aluminium angle so as not to alter the engine thrust angle.

Hey that's a great looking mod. As it happens I have just posted on the Yahoo groups forum and gave details of an alternative mod. Its early days but I have over 8 hours on the current rubber with no running problems despite the rubber having loads of cracks. What I have done is to make a tube about 8mm wide and about 15mm long with one end closed. It is made by rolling a fine stainless gauze around the shank of a drill bit. Closing an end off keeps it from unrolling or a wrap of wire should do it, now what you do with it is to whip the float chamber off and slide it over the main jet housing, it should be a snug fit over the ally casting. The idea is that it stabilizes the fuel in the vicinity of the jet while the rest of the fuel is agitated by vibration thereby stopping air bubbles going up the jet.

Nige

Mmmmm....... I'd be concerned about doing your mod Nige, with all those vibrations and a relatively soft die cast carb bowl with a steel gauze rubbing on it... It'll erode it away eventually. Maybe a piece of silicone rubber tube as a dampner would be better than the steel gauzein your mod....?

It's quite solid how it sits however I'll keep an eye on it thanks.. got an extra couple of hours last night so am up to 10 with no misfire, however your mod is where I'll probably end up, how many hours does it have and how did you know about the frothing issue? It's been a problem from new in my case although they lasted around 12 hours in the first couple of years.

Cheers

Nige

I've done 27 hours since I fitted the extra mount with no problems at all.. Long may that continue.

I spoke to both Bruce and John at Bailey about my misfire problem,which I was getting around every 6-7 hours after fitting new rubbers, and they said it was due to the carb rubbers softening up and allowing air leaks. They suggested another carb mount may help but couldn't advise how or where to fit it. So I looked at my motor and came up with what you see in the pic.. I've actually fitted an old carb rubber that used to cause a misfire before I fitted the extra mount and it still runs great with the old rubber..! I still have 3 old rubbers in my spares drawer..

• 3 weeks later...