using a gyroscopic Gimbal with a gopro3

I made a little youtube review on the use of the Fieyutech 2 axis steady gimbal: there is a quick look at the Bailey Hornet in there as well, and if it looks too low on Lukes back that is because he had not hooked up the strap that hooks onto the lower part of the frame upto the shoulder buckle. Also the supplier was unmannedtechshop.co.uk not unmanned,com as I quote in the video.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Looks like a good job- great review.

I'm thinking along these lines now- Lastnight i tried the camera on a chest mount- instead of helmet mount, and was amazed at how steady the camera was- but with the gimbal it would be so much better!

If i chest mount or cage mount the camera, and I do a steeply banked turn- will the horizon appear level, or will it be angled?

GD

Looks like a good job- great review.

I'm thinking along these lines now- Lastnight i tried the camera on a chest mount- instead of helmet mount, and was amazed at how steady the camera was- but with the gimbal it would be so much better!

If i chest mount or cage mount the camera, and I do a steeply banked turn- will the horizon appear level, or will it be angled?

GD

No- dont think the chest mount would be on my list- certainly not a high priority.

I think next priorities would be telescopic pole, shoe mount, then follow cam.

GD

So the chest mount came up the priority list, Gordon. I quite like it, certainly steadier than the helmet. I also like it because to a certain extent you can grab it and point it or even unclip it and point it (with a lanyard, obviously).

As far as tilting goes, he does that in the review doesn't he? (I cant play it at work to check) But I think as you are pulling some g in the turn it confuses the accelerometers a bit and therefore doesn't keep the horizon completely level.

....So the chest mount came up the priority list, Gordon. I quite like it, certainly steadier than the helmet. I also like it because to a certain extent you can grab .....

Here are a few samples of the chest mount in action....

Surprisingly quite stable, and generally reduced movement compared to the helmet mount.

I like the helmet mount, but during flying you need to check around you frequently for safety... and the head movement detracts from the video in some cases..

Mullaghcarn Summit to Glenhordial Reservoir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_e1pwkJPuA

Low level flight around field

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8kp5NdRN3M