GoPro Best Settings

Help required...please..

I ended up with a GoPro Hero 3 Black. The advertising videos look stunning, however I can't get anywhere near that quality.

I only have a laptop with Windows7, 62 bits of something and 4GB of something else..

I normally record on 1080p at 30fps. I then edit with Windows Movie Maker and have recently bought ProDad Denalli for its anti shake and distortion correction effects.

I have recently tried using the ProTune and Raw setting which let me edit the effects more successfully.

Any comments or help gratefully received. I think I have a good camera and I'm just not getting the best out of it at the moment..

This is my first headcam use with it in non Protune, I have subsequently moved the mounting to the top of my front mounted reserve on the packaging mount with Velcro underneath, and a physical tether for safety.. I'll try this when the weather improves a bit..

It looks to me like there has been lots of compression added to the output from whatever you edited in, that will kill decent footage you may have captured. Default settings can be awful sometimes if it is prioritising file size over quality.

Also the weird waving effect looks like it is caused by stabilisation software. Unless you are using pro level gear this will usually look pretty naff, you're much better trying to get shots by concentrating when you want a shot and keeping your head still or pointing where you want to film (or get a camera with decent image stabilisation built in, the GoPro cams don't have this). If you are flying properly you will be looking around all the time so pick your moments.

Looking quickly at that..

I would say use a slower frame rate if the setting exists when the light is poor. Or opt for 720 or both.

The Go Pro sensor 'requires' allot of light for it to work as well as in the demo videos (which if you look again, will most likely see are all or most in bright lit situations like snow or anything with lots of bright white.

It actually likes to be a little bit overexposed to light for best results.

The temptation is to crank everything up to the max with most things in a blokes life! lol but a camera (no matter how much you spend) will be working its arse off in low light.

Hope this helps, and hope we get some good light / weather for you to film in.

SW :D

Thanks for all the comments so far....

Gordon, the quality of your video far outweighs mine. Your video is brighter and just 'pops' compared to my efforts.

I see you used 1080 at 30fps, did you have ProTune on and subsequently put it through post edit software, or is that just the camera download ??

Gordon, the quality of your video far outweighs mine. Your video is brighter and just 'pops' compared to my efforts.

I see you used 1080 at 30fps, did you have ProTune on and subsequently put it through post edit software, or is that just the camera download ??

Sorry- this video was 30fps, but started using 50fps now on everything, as it gives sharper results and I have more versatility if I want to experiment with slowing down some scenes, etc....

I don't use ProTune, and editing is very simple- just used Cyberlink Powerdirector to cut out the scenes- no stabilisation or anything.... The 'raw' MP4s straight from the camera are good enough- a lot of them I don't even edit- just add titles.

GD