BHPA membership

henryn

Anyone out there done the club pilot level and pilot level exam/assessment? If so how difficult was it, how much did it cost and where would you advise me to go? I am in north Norfolk have been flying for a few years now so have a bit of experience.

Thanks in advance

Henry

Hi Henry,

I'm also in Norfolk, a BHPA member and did club pilot (power) last year, now heading towards pilot.

I did the training and exam with Airways Airsports who are based in Derbyshire, but come to Norfolk every year to do some training. I was signed off as club pilot in Norfolk.

Our local club is Norfolk Hang Gliding and Paragliding Club, flying some north Nofolk coastal sites and a tow / power field at Beeston (between Swaffham and Dereham off the A47).

I purchased training as part of a package deal with Airways.

The exams for club pilot are not difficult, to the extent that an individual who couldn't pass them really shouldn't be flying.

With flying experience, you should need assessment only, rather than training. There is a nominal charge for exams.

Best to contact NHGPC directly for details.

Thanks for the replies,

Outcast, how does the alternative entry system work? Where do you go for it?

Ptwizz, I understand the Beeston site only does hand gilders, although I have not spoken to them directly. Where in Norfolk are you based? You are welcome to come fly from mine anytime.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards

Henry

Thanks for the replies,

Outcast, how does the alternative entry system work? Where do you go for it?

Ptwizz, I understand the Beeston site only does hand gilders, although I have not spoken to them directly. Where in Norfolk are you based? You are welcome to come fly from mine anytime.

Thanks again for the info.

Regards

Henry

Give the BHPA a call, they will direct you to your nearest examiner, he will want to see you fly and check out your flying skills, he will then apply for your papers, they cover four areas, 100 questions, 25 on each subject , you can find the study material here: http://www.jfdiuk.com/pilotNotes/pilotNotes.html

on joining the BHPA you are covered by their insurance, but only when flying in the presence of an instructor until you get the rating.

you can find contact details here,

http://www.bhpa.co.uk/

Tell them you are already flying a paramotor and want to take the alternate entry route and they will sort you out.

good luck.

Dave :D

The NHGPC at Beeston fly mostly paragliders, from a 2000ft tow. There is also some hang gliding, some paramotoring and a couple of powered hang gliders.

I'm based near Attleborough and looking for a local site to fly from (Beeston is near an hour's drive away).

I'd be happy to come and fly with you when the gods of weather and domestic commitments permit.

Managed to pass at the second attempt, the hang glider graph questions are a bit difficult on a computer screen

Yes, they foxed me too. That's why I asked about the pool of questions, because it wasn't clear to me how those sort of questions were relevant to Power flying. It took me a second attempt ,as well , but by the end of the day was consistently getting most correct, ( except the graph ones)

Right! What I can't seem to get an answer to is, Is there a standard pool of questions that the bhpa draws on or does each examiner make up a set of multiple choice questions based on the syllabus as they understand it? Maybe the answer is in those Jfdi pages which won't open on the iPad.

Ok , so I read this

http://www.bhpa.co.uk/pdf/Pilot_Exam_Syllabus.pdf

Which implies each paper is specifically tailored to each candidate.

"Papers are issued by the BHPA Office for specific candidates, and returned once completed. When approached by a candidate the invigilator should apply to the BHPA Office for the examination paper. After checking that the invigilator is suitably qualified the BHPA Office will issue the paper for the specific candidate to the invigilator."