BHPA membership

henryn

• 4 weeks later...

I've just sat BHPA club pilot exam.

There is a general club pilot paper and then a "power" paper.

The questions on the links put up don't look like the questions I was asked.

The paper is set by the BHPA. The instructor does not set the test. I was told there is only one paper, it is the same for everyone.

The questions are not that difficult, they are multiple choice, and you don't have to get 100% to pass although there are some questions - air law etc. you are not allowed to get wrong.

Read the relevant bits of BHPA pilot handbook and you will be fine for most of it.

The questions I can remember were on:

Air law - giving way, flying over towns, radios, notams, air maps etc.

Basic weather - anticyclones, wind speed, wind gradients etc.

Flight theory - lift, thrust, drag, wind speed vs air speed,

I've just sat BHPA club pilot exam.

There is a general club pilot paper and then a "power" paper.

The questions on the links put up don't look like the questions I was asked.

The paper is set by the BHPA. The instructor does not set the test. I was told there is only one paper, it is the same for everyone.

The questions are not that difficult, they are multiple choice, and you don't have to get 100% to pass although there are some questions - air law etc. you are not allowed to get wrong.

Read the relevant bits of BHPA pilot handbook and you will be fine for most of it.

The questions I can remember were on:

Air law - giving way, flying over towns, radios, notams, air maps etc.

Basic weather - anticyclones, wind speed, wind gradients etc.

Flight theory - lift, thrust, drag, wind speed vs air speed,

I did the alternate entry route, so the paper I sat may have been slightly different, I had questions on the catagories above plus navigation, I also had to do a cross country flight taking in four different waypoints, and a take off and landing, also had to show I could land within 20 metres of a spot on the ground :D

See if you have a local bhpa club you could join. Mine are mainly free flyers but they helped a lot with my pilot exam, with annual lectures for free, and reserve repacking. Access to hills if you fancy a quiet one without the motor. 25 quid a year is typical I believe. And the club coach course was very good