advice on wing and paramotor

simcal

Would be very grateful to receive some advice before I make a mistake. I have a lapsed ppl, but would like to take up paramotoring. I'm 60kg, 59 but fit. I don't want to break any records and would prefer to keep any risks to a minimum. I want a simple rig, simple to control and interested in cross country flying. Not a speed freak, want to put in the minimum of concentration using the rig while flying safely. I have only just started researching but already think I would be better off with a reflex wing. Thanks in advance for any replies, which I will greatly appreciate.

Hi..

I'm a similar type flyer. Beginner with training and just 4 solo flights. Slightly heavier at 82k or thereabouts, and 53yrs. As you, I have no foot dragging desire, but am looking forward to some cross country type flights.

Alex Ledger was my trainer and I have just ordered his recommendation of a Minari powered Parajet Volution and a Revo2, 26m.

I know there are those around who will think this combination slightly heavyweight, or maybe a bit 'old style'. However, the parajet factory is 40 mins up the road from me and, in my opinion, the Volution chassis will take up the inevitable knocks a beginner will give it. The motor is electric start which I wanted, its not a Polini 200 which I didn't want. So I'm a happy man.

At your weight the Revo2 23m would be better for you I would suggest.

Ah the age old question to what's the best kit....

....honest answer....

depends who's field you are stood on, as everyone will proclaim there's to be the best suited.

Totally agree..

Plus one! I am in almost the same situation ,Rob . I am really looking forward to the fly in next weekend to be able to see loads of different kit, and talk to as many people as possible. As skybound says, it's only natural people will proclaim their own kit.

In the end as a beginner, if there was only one rule to follow it would be, do not under any circumstances buy your stuff and then go looking for tuition. There have been at least two instances of newbies turning up at where I'm learning to be told , " sorry, mate that motor is not suitable for you" and that was not a biased opinion based on a manufacturer preference, they just weren't big enough to get the pilot in the air.

I am waiting as long a I can and talking to as many people as possible

It's all, down to personal preference really -every salesman will tell you that there kit is the best and will give you loads of reasons to buy theirs. As long as you get the weight ranges right, which ever machine takes your fancy. Personally, I can recommend the Bulldog! Light weight, plenty of power and tough as old boots!

Ps, I'm not a salesman lol

Ok thank-you for your answers. The only thing now is what wing? Would I be best off with a reflex ?

I don't buy the argument for not listening to someones advice just because they sell a certain brand, don't dismiss advice from a dealer just because you think he may be on the make.

entry level reflex wings (revo2/ synth etc) have been around long enough now to be able to form an opinion on them from pilots that have flown them for some time, when deciding on a wing you need to think about the type of flying you are aiming for and if like some people you pick things up quick and will progress rapidly, is your eventual goal to compete or just be casual flyer? are you interested in just a little bimble around the skies every so often or are you going to be throwing yourself into this sport and spreading your wings on big XCs?

Reflex wings with a good speed range are ideal for all round flying, you may fly around most of the time in take off trim and be perfectly happy with that, but if the wind gets up while you are aloft you could find yourself struggling to make progress and its handy to be able to open the trimmers and jog along nicely.

also after your training has finished you may go off and find some flyers local to you who are all on reflex wings, flying with them will be no fun if you are always getting left behind and watching the windsock.

as for the two wings I mentioned, the REvo2 is proberly a bit more sporty and easier to launch, but the synth is a good solid wing too, and its dudek so its made well, both a pretty forgiving and wont get you in too much trouble should you be a bit heavy handed with them.

Alan, I don't agree with you that Miniplane is not suitable for a beginner and I speak from experience. I trained on one, as did my flying mate, their lightness makes training a joy. I could happily practice ground handling with mine on my back. The only other motor that I have flown was a PAP Top80 with a stainless cage. There's no comparison. When you are learning and everything is unfamiliar it really helps if you are not struggling with the weight. I suspect that as you gain experience that weight becomes less of an issue, because hopefully you are doing everything more efficiently.

Like you, I think the Air Conception and Bulldog are very tempting, but I like the fuel efficiency and quietness of the Top80 and the backup is second to none.

How's it been up north? I've had some fantastic flights recently. Shorts and T shirt in silky smooth air...........couldn't be beat.

Christian

We've have recently moved over to the Vittorazi Evo2 98cc. Throughout last year when I was testing I was retuning 3.1 ltr hr at 97 kg pilot weight.

Although we have a few of these motors out there now, I don't have any accurate fuel figures to share for the lighter pilot.

How's it been up north? I've had some fantastic flights recently. Shorts and T shirt in silky smooth air...........couldn't be beat.

Christian

Hi Christian, unfortunately we have been having a lot of strong wind across the middle of the country, so quite jealous of your silky air.

Hope to get out this evening :)

Wing wise....

I always point my students to the wing that they are happy with on the ground. (We have all of the main brands modern wings)

As I see it, in the beginner / inter market... the wings are not that far away from one another in flight.

And if you can't launch it then the flying is irrelevant.

Normally, The larger, heavy handed people will go for the Synth, and the lighter people tend to go for the Apco or Revo 2.

That's just our guessed stats from one field.

SW :D