Moving from a Low Level EN B to an EN C (Speedster)

notch

Guys,

I have been flying my 34m Nova rookie (Basically an EN A wing with one B when accelerated) for around 3 years now. I have flown in moderate turbulence (enough for very minor wingtip collapses, or very brief asymmetrics), and the Rookie has always looked after me.

I have around 30 hours PG, and 80 hours PPG.

I'm wondering if I have enough skill yet to be able to handle the Speedster, which is basically an EN C wing. For those that have been through this before, how do you know if you are ready?

Where I live there is no possibility for demoing wings.

Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Edited by Guest

If you have 80hours PPG them you should be able to handle any wing!!! The Speedster is a very light handling wing Like a PG wing. Very easy launch sweet handling and can land very slow... IF you like that!! :wink:

I would be happy to let a low air time pilot say 10-20 hours fly it with no problem. The only time you might have to take it easy is when its very thermic but i have never taken a collapse on any of the speedsters i have flown 30m 28m 26m . I was very very under weight on the 30m.

Best thing to do is contact your Local dealer and get a test fly... If your local to us please come and have a go.

Regards

Mark

Sussex paramotors

http://www.bhpa.co.uk/pdf/En926_summary.pdf

Be sure you can operate your current glider to 100% of it's envelope with full confidence, otherwise you'll not enjoy the ENC class in thermic air. The Speedster does have only a few C's at some of the sizes/weights, so it might be a better move than other ENC gliders.

Also check the answer to why you want an ENC.

Richard

Be sure you can operate your current glider to 100% of it's envelope with full confidence, otherwise you'll not enjoy the ENC class in thermic air. The Speedster does have only a few C's at some of the sizes/weights, so it might be a better move than other ENC gliders.

Richard

I think that link is very misleading, the Nuc is a en C rated glider and is known as one of the most stable out there, but if you read that link it sounds like a death trap.

Hi Notch , the Speedster is a great wing , I have well over 100 hours on my Speedster and not one collapse , I fly in South-Africa and and can be quite hot and thermic here , the Speedster can handle what ever the pilot wants it to do , if you have low hours and you have small inputs the wing will behave like a beginner wing and if you pul it hard and aggressive you can fly comps with it , and it ground handles like a dream , the best wing I have ever had .( my 4th wing ) enjoy , Thys .

Richard

I think that link is very misleading, the Nuc is a en C rated glider and is known as one of the most stable out there, but if you read that link it sounds like a death trap.

It is not misleading. Collapse resistance is completely different to collapse recovery. Please be very careful with your statements. Beginners are reading this thread.

Richard

Thanks for your comments.

The reason for considering the Speedster is that I would really like a dedicated PPG wing as I feel that PG wings when used for PPG are a bit slow and inefficient – it certainly seems the case when I compare my current Rookie to my fiends more highly loaded Roadster. The Roadster has a better climb rate by a factor of 2.

I would like an efficient wing, (my motor is only 125cc) as I would also like to do XC flights at speed when the weather conditions are good.

If I could find an ENB wing that did all of the above when loaded with an all up weight of 150kg, I would buy it! The Revo seems like a good choice but is not certified in the largest size, and I would be too heavily loaded on it anyway.

Looking at the Speedster 33 test report, the only thing rated as C is the asymmetric collapse of more than 75%. I wonder how much more of a safety risk is this? For example, is it the difference between recovery and ground impact if you were for example flying at 80ft above the earth, and suffered a 75% collapse?

And is the Speedster still a reflex paraglider when the trims are in? i.e. is it less likely to sustain a collapse when flying in the above scenario?

Richard

It is not misleading. Collapse resistance is completely different to collapse recovery. Please be very careful with your statements. Beginners are reading this thread.

Richard

My point exactly :shock:

Hi Notch

What motor do you have???

What type of flying do you do???

Are you worried about Fuel eco??

You say your all up 150kg and your looking at the 33m Speedster. You are with in the weight of this glider BUT 25kg under. NOT A GOOID IDEA.... You will be much better of going to the 30m @10kg over the weight range for this glider..

The Speedster will soak up the extra weight easy and will perform X2 beter. YOU wil BLITZ you mate on his roadster!!! :lol: And i bet he will buy one too.

Your doing the right thing by asking lots of questions and reading up on it but the best way to find out is to fly one and also fly one in different conditions. Any wing feels good in smooth air!!!

I do Sell Ozone and am a little Biased towards the Ozone BUT i always say there are other wings out there. I would also look at the Nucleon as well.. Its a very good wing very Stable.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.

I have a PAP PA125 which is a bit on the light side for my now 108kg ass. At sea level on the 34m Rookie I run about 7600rpm for level flight, but to get 200ft/min climb I have to spin the engine at 9000rpm+. I don't think the PA will last very long at those kind of RPM's.

My flying is mainly at sea level, with the occasional flights at 3-4000ft. I'm a pretty mellow (risk adverse) flyer, but do like flying long distances.

Thanks for the comments on the size, was really struggling between the 30m and the 33m. I would also like to use the speedster for free flying, so the 30m sounds better.

I'm very tempted, just a "C" (EN) standing in the way(!).

I have a PAP PA125 which is a bit on the light side for my now 108kg ass. At sea level on the 34m Rookie I run about 7600rpm for level flight, but to get 200ft/min climb I have to spin the engine at 9000rpm+. I don't think the PA will last very long at those kind of RPM's.

My flying is mainly at sea level, with the occasional flights at 3-4000ft. I'm a pretty mellow (risk adverse) flyer, but do like flying long distances.

Thanks for the comments on the size, was really struggling between the 30m and the 33m. I would also like to use the speedster for free flying, so the 30m sounds better.

I'm very tempted, just a "C" (EN) standing in the way(!).

I am 105kg and I fly the 30m speedster and it is perfect for me. I also considered the 33 as I was changing from a 34 nucleon. But I am glad I went for the 30 in the end so I can use it for pg as well.

Hi Notch , I think the 33 speedster will to big for you , I weigh 138 kg and fly the 33 with ease , some of my mates use it to do tandems pilot 85 and pax up to 75 kg at sea level .

look at the following link , speedster 33 - naked pilot weight 128 , 30 pilot of 105 ( you ) , test fly a 30 first

http://para2000.org/wings/index.html , go to ozone and then speedster , all the best .