Reserve question

macey2kk

Whats the opinion on having a reserve rated to 130kg with an all up weight of around 170?

Better than nothing or don't bother?

Understanding that sink rate would be affected... I wonder by how much ?

A reserve rated at 130kg,you have to take 25% of that to get 3.5meters per second landing. you at 170kg will hit the ground like a brick.if it dont kill you.you wont be walking again thats for sure,,its the same as jumping off a 30ft wall..get the biggest reserve you can.at least one rated at 160kg,the best reserve for ppg is any tandum rated pg reserve,if you are over your reserve weight then its going to hurt..........but its still better than not having one,,but get a bigger one,,,

Thanks for the opinion fellas,

Tbh I have a metamorphosi conair big dobber, but it's just so bulky and heavy that Ive never actually took it up !

I fancied a smaller and lighter gin reserve but I guess based on the opinions I may just get it repacked! It may even have some of the kids toys in there I've never opened it! Lol

Thanks for the offer of the jet powered reserve jock but il pass on that! Lol

Forgot to say i have a reserve rated at 358kg for sale,, you will never come down.it has a small rocket to set it off, ideal for microlights and small aircraft, its been repacked by bhpa repacker..

How much?

SW :D

Forgot to say i have a reserve rated at 358kg for sale,, you will never come down.it has a small rocket to set it off, ideal for microlights and small aircraft, its been repacked by bhpa repacker..

How much?

Hi just had email from pete,b aboutit.. its a charly FRS120m with a Raketenmotor AM3. 9.5kg weight the rocket shoots the bridle out at 150km/h..12,9m-120qm,manual is in german..

5733641a619d0_reserve003.JPG.e6ef6ddd0c5

5733641a64955_reserve001.JPG.94186907554

The new tandum light weight reserve are well under 2kg,i have the heavy gin pg tandum reserve,that i use ppg and pg tandum,at least i can have a smoke on the way down if i use it,,,lol

I've not seen a tandem under 2kg? Which one?

sorry i ment 2.7kg for light weight tandum reserve,,should have read under 3kg,,

Hi Macey

I would double check what Jock stated... That use to be an old way of rating chutes. Nearly all chute are now rated to to the max wieght stated on the chute....

I can't remember the the old standard ANFOR DHV

I fly with a sup air light large rated to 135kg... I am 75kg V5 27kg 15kg for boots helmet etc wing 6kg fuel 7kg 3kg for chute All up 133kg...

If you want a chute the Apco May day 20 is your best bet... But you will be a little over on it by 10kg otherwise you will have to go tandem and at double the weight and cost @ £800 :shock::shock:

How much?

Are you sure these are legal for use on aircraft in the UK? I think ballistic chutes are not legal, could this be classed as the same???

Hi Macey

I would double check what Jock stated... That use to be an old way of rating chutes. Nearly all chute are now rated to to the max wieght stated on the chute....

I can't remember the the old standard ANFOR DHV

I fly with a sup air light large rated to 135kg... I am 75kg V5 27kg 15kg for boots helmet etc wing 6kg fuel 7kg 3kg for chute All up 133kg...

If you want a chute the Apco May day 20 is your best bet... But you will be a little over on it by 10kg otherwise you will have to go tandem and at double the weight and cost @ £800 :shock::shock:

i would stand on the scales with full kit on & fuel holding wing as well.you would be suprised on what you weight fully kitted up.still best to be under the reserve weight best to go aahhh on landing than aaaarrrrrggghhh, for ppg 160kg reserve should be the min in my thoughts, second hand tandum reserve can be got for £300-400 repacked,,,the old way of testing well i am 50...lol.

Hi Jock

I did add fuel, wing, etc etc

I have stood on the scales many times with all my kit while attempting records. I know my own all up figures down to the last Kg with different wings.

You do not want to be too heavy or light on a reserve. Being to light will make the reserve open slower ...

There is an argument about the size of the reserve you should fly with.... Its all about decent rate (correct) "you can work the math out i can't be assed".... If you fall at 5.5ms on a correctly fitted res in nill wind. Then you add say 10kph of wind to that figrue your now traveling faster diagonally down and along the ground, this now has the same effect as a higher decent rate on a smaller chute...

If you use a smaller chute your decent will be higher on a nill wind day but you will have far less diagonal movement when its 10kph.

IMO its always best to fly with what the manufacturer states and get as close as you can..