Pulstar spark plugs

I got a bit interested in changing the spark plug for something better. I use standard NGK plug at the moment but thought about changing to iridium plug but right now I got my eye on the pulstar.

There seems to be a lot of people having success with these plugs for bikes and other motors. Haven't seen anything about paramotors but read in paramotormag that they were advertising their plugs at the beach blast.

Some say that a spark plug can't do any difference. it either ignite the fuel or it doesn't. But there seems to be more to it than that.

Maybe it be worth trying. What do you think?

Well, if I check amazon there seems to be quite a few that likes it, but I don't really trust amazons reviews either. It's been manipulated before with positive feedback..

There are some dyno tests on youtube as well where they get an increase in power.

I don't expect it to do miracles but there are some points that could be interesting with a different plug.

I have the pap pa125 with a foot start. I'm not very fond of having the motor running while I strap it on and make myself ready for flight so what I do is that I start it, run it for a while, turn it off, put it on and get ready for take of. I then kick start it in place. Usually works fine but occasionally it doesn't start, it is harder to kick start it in standing position. Cold weather makes that worse.

So if it starts easier with a better plug then much is gained.

The other benefit is that it can idle longer before before it dies from fouling.

Also two stroke are sensitive on spark plug so if the plug is better than it doesn't have to be replaced as often.

But then again, question is if it does help or not. It does feel like a bit of black magic and marketing. I don't understand the physics behind it, why it should be any better.

During my motorcycle drag racing days..... Iridium plugs were a must have and DID make a diference over 1/4 of a mile for sure. I cant remember now which ones it was we were ALL using but will try and find one as I know I have a couple of old ones somewhere....

Just to add it too the pot....

SW :D

Well, if I check amazon there seems to be quite a few that likes it, but I don't really trust amazons reviews either. It's been manipulated before with positive feedback..

There are some dyno tests on youtube as well where they get an increase in power.

I don't expect it to do miracles but there are some points that could be interesting with a different plug.

I have the pap pa125 with a foot start. I'm not very fond of having the motor running while I strap it on and make myself ready for flight so what I do is that I start it, run it for a while, turn it off, put it on and get ready for take of. I then kick start it in place. Usually works fine but occasionally it doesn't start, it is harder to kick start it in standing position. Cold weather makes that worse.

So if it starts easier with a better plug then much is gained.

The other benefit is that it can idle longer before before it dies from fouling.

Also two stroke are sensitive on spark plug so if the plug is better than it doesn't have to be replaced as often.

But then again, question is if it does help or not. It does feel like a bit of black magic and marketing. I don't understand the physics behind it, why it should be any better.

I have the PAP PA 125 and have an identical starting proceedure. However, I have never had a problem starting it warm, on my back and it's never fouled to a stop when idling, even after 15 minutes of me phaffing about.

Having said that, I would still be really interested to hear about your results of any changes that you make :)

http://www.carbibles.com/productreviews_pulstar.html

Dan

The difference with plug electrode materials is mostly related to fouling. If your engine is running too rich, too oily, too hot, too cool or with the wrong grade plug, then an exotic plug electrode material may well be able to mask some of the problem.

In extreme cases, such as drag racing, the marginal benefits of exotic plugs can make all the difference.

The rest of us should be looking for the problem that causes the plug to foul and fixing that.

Pete.

When I checked the spark plug it had okay color to me. It's not like I have serious problems with the motor, I just can't help trying to tweak and change things all the time.

I ordered NGK BR9EIX now (cost me about 28 euro or 228 SEK to be precise) . Going to get it tomorrow. I'll test it before the end of the week.

When I checked the spark plug it had okay color to me. It's not like I have serious problems with the motor, I just can't help trying to tweak and change things all the time.

I ordered NGK BR9EIX now (cost me about 28 euro or 228 SEK to be precise) . Going to get it tomorrow. I'll test it before the end of the week.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NGK-IRIDIUM-SPARK-BR9EIX-BR9E-IX/dp/B001GDFLAO

Ouch!

Is this definitely the right plug for the PA125? If it is, at this price I'll give them a try

hmm.. seems I have payed way to much.

Regarding what plug is right it was Keith Pickersgill that mentioned it on the RM80 / PA125 google group. He does seem to know this engine well and other stuff too, I trust what he says. Very helpful guy.

original post:

"Yes you can use a BR9ES. We do here in South Africa. I had assumed that you had already tried a different plug, which is the very first thing you should do when having starting problems.

I have seen a few plugs fail within the first 5 hours. It does not matter which model plug or what engine, there is always a possibility if this.

If you want a much more reliable plug that makes for easier starting, get the BR9EIX Iridium plug. "

I think that the pulstar plugs offer little in terms of performance when used with proper CDI ignition systems.

I can see however, that with the rather basic transistor - coil arrangements most Paramotors use, the pulstar plugs may offer some benefit. Haven't tested them mind you, just an opinion from an electronics engineer...

It was a nice evening today with very little wind so I took the opportunity to test the motor with the iridium plug. I replaced the br10es so its a hotter plug now. The motor runs smoothly. But the pa125 does run well when it works so that's not news.

I used the same procedure as usual to start it.

Tilt the motor towards the air filter.

Press and hold the button on the carburetor.

Pump the bulb to get fuel into the system.

choke on.

pull the starter, one-two times necessary to start, motor runs then stops.

choke off

pull the start and it runs.

Can't say that it is different from before, but it wasn't broken either :) we'll see when it the winter comes how it works.

I have had problems with my tiny tach earlier and have noticed that the spark plug have caused problems before, the tiny tach froze at high rpm. I didn't freeze during this hour of flight so maybe hopefully it'll work better now.

Fuel consumption was normal, about 4 liters, but that can vary depending on what mood I am in.