Top 80 idle speed

The manual states 2100 - 2200 rpm, but this is quite close to the point at which the starter pawls engage and make a noise. In practice about 2600 rpm is better and safer from a stalling point, especially if your tick-over is as erratic as mine. Anything over 3000rpm and the clutch starts to engage.

Oil on the prop is normal. It happened on mine and it also happened on a friends Top 80. It will be coming from where the exhaust meets the head. It usually goes away once the two components have bedded in together.............it's a sort of ball joint.

If it persists, you can get a copper gasket that goes between the two. In my experience the supplier will give it to you for free.

Have done the starter modification yet? If not get on with it, it's a game changer.

Good luck

Have done the starter modification yet? If not get on with it, it's a game changer.

Good luck

Haven't got around to it yet, but it's on the way. I had to adjust the idle speed and stuff, so I just wanted to get this sorted first. The bungee cord and fitting the speed bar system is my next project.

GD

Ive had couple of top 80 engines all leak little where exhaust meets as mentioned the cooper flange makes a big difference but i was advised to change to copper flange after around 20hours not when new

Such a fantastic engine for a lighter pilot, i get around 2.5ltrs an hour in full reflex.

Yes the fuel economy on this machine is amazing... On my previous machine (H&E R120/99cm prop) I was pushing 4L to 4.5L per hour... now I'd say im around 2.5L - 3L per hour. I only buy 5 litres at a time now, I used to always buy 10L at a time previously.

Just after ordering my speedbar pulleys- I know this will cost a bit on fuel economy, but the bar can be useful sometimes when you need a little more speed, or penetration into a head wind.

If you want to fix the oil leakage you should add the mentioned copper gasket, plus another tip: don't leave the two screws loose but tighten them up fully (originally they are supposed to stay a bit loose and let the springy spiral do the job of pressing, but experience tells this is not enough).

What's the starter modification mentioned above?

• 2 weeks later...
The bungee modification is documented here.....

http://www.ppginfo.com/bungee%20start.html

I have modified mine and it works very well. I tried starting my mate's Top80, which hasn't been modified and I will surprised at how much more strength was required.

Christian

First night out at the field with the new 'bungee mod', couldn't belive how easy it was to start. Just a quick prime before getting into the harness, then easy pull and - GO!

Re-starting in the air really wouldn't be a problem using this method- but didn't try this as conditions were somewhat challenging tonight. Starting the machine while it's on your back is much safer anyway, and would defintely be recommended.

GD