Rad MXL Project Complete - What You Think?

wallboy

Nice job :-)

I had a RAD a few years back and also tried to fit a primer bowl which also (did not work)

I can only think that the daphram in the carb is not strong enough to do the required sucking with the added pressure of a primer bowl full of fuel. ??

SW :D

Thanks Nige

That I am aware of, priming is not a problem, but it will run like a bag of poo and if I remember correctly not exceed half revs no matter what you do to the carb settings.

SW :D

This reminds me of a debate that me and Pete got into when I mentioned that my old Rad was a pig to start when it only had a couple of litres in the tank. I concluded that the pump was limited as to how far up it could draw fuel, in that a full tank was easier for it, Pete disagread saying that such a carb could pull much higher.

Now I would say it is not so much the height but the inertia of an excesive amount of fuel in the pipe/bulb that could be the problem causing running/starting problems. The idea being that the fuel "jumps to the attention of the suction pulses" when there isnt much but becomes more slugish to rapid movement when there is a lot of it.

Nige

The primer bulb pumps fine but once I connected it to the fuel line and stated pumping, the bulb was really hard and required 2 hands to pump and it sucked a little bit of fuel in then pushed it back out into the tank.

Reading the comments above I think I may have forgot to press the decompression button :roll:

I will get it out and give it another go when the rain has buggered off :)

looks good.were abouts in worcester are you.did you make your own prop,sean has a rad arrow.will you be joining the worcester gang in the air,,,,,,

Im actually from Tenbury Wells but put Worcester as my location as not many people have heard of Tenbury :lol:

My prop was from Thailand and I may have to pop over once the weather gets better and once ive got more than my current 4 hours air time under my belt.

This reminds me of a debate that me and Pete got into when I mentioned that my old Rad was a pig to start when it only had a couple of litres in the tank. I concluded that the pump was limited as to how far up it could draw fuel, in that a full tank was easier for it, Pete disagread saying that such a carb could pull much higher.

Now I would say it is not so much the height but the inertia of an excesive amount of fuel in the pipe/bulb that could be the problem causing running/starting problems. The idea being that the fuel "jumps to the attention of the suction pulses" when there isnt much but becomes more slugish to rapid movement when there is a lot of it.

Nige

or it could be that you had a weak suction pulse because these engines do not have a reed valve

Cage is a big improvement, but have you thought about about fitting some J bars or swinging arms, or would that mean having to buy a new harness? I guess that you can't 'weight shift' with your current setup

Yeah I would have to buy a new harness if I got J bars fitted and that would end up costing me too much unfortunately :( and no im not able to weight shift with my current high hang points which hasnt really been a problem. Well, it kind of was on my very first flight as my arms were aching so I had to keep putting my hands down lol