Go-pro

The specs of the GoPro 2 look better than the original, but I've never seen any video from one to compare. My 960 looks plenty good enough for what I want (in fact I still can't believe something so small produces such good footage) & I don't particularly miss the ability to add a screen or extra battery - you soon learn where to point it & 2 1/2 hours record is plenty!

I certainly have no desire to upgrade mine yet.

The computer bit is easier. Mac, no question. My 3 year old macbook has no problems editing my footage. I use MPEG Streamclip to trim & convert the video from the camera then import into iMovie (11) for editing.

Henry, I've had a GoPro HD for a couple of years now and I've also got a Panasonic SD600 HD video camera to compare it to.

The GoPro is great and I love the results I get. However, I find that these days, the GoPro is spending more and more time in it's case and I'm using the Panasonic far more often. The reason is that the Panasonic footage is far far superior to that of the GP (GoPro). The wide angle footage of the GP is nice but you soon get bored of its unusual wide angle...ness. The Panasonic is also wide angle, but more natural.

The other thing is that Paramotoring is quite a gentle sport compared to others, so the robustness of the unit is kind of wasted. I've been using the Panasonic on my helmet for PPG for nearly 2 years now and it hasn't had one knock.

One other point, is that I can use my Panasonic for everday video (family/holidays etc) as it's a fantastic piece of kit.

In this video I am using the GP on a pole and the Panasonic on my lid. Due to Youtube compression, they both look the same, but trust me the HD video that the Panasonic spits out, watched on a decent flat screen telly, has to be seen to be believed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM-GlxIooGw

With regards to editing, if you use pc, use Cyberlink Powerdirector. You won't be dissapointed. I've done all my videos with this program and it is without a doubt the best.

I've just got myself a Macbook Pro 17", and I like it....a lot. But it was more than twice the price of a similar spec PC laptop. Although I have Final Cut Pro X on it, I've not actually tried video editing on it yet, so I cannot compare. But something tells me that i't's going to be great :)

One last thing. My friend has the GoPro2 and I didn't rate it over my GoPro Hero HD.

Anyway good luck with it.

Dan

Henry, I've had a GoPro HD for a couple of years now and I've also got a Panasonic SD600 HD video camera to compare it to.

The GoPro is great and I love the results I get. However, I find that these days, the GoPro is spending more and more time in it's case and I'm using the Panasonic far more often. The reason is that the Panasonic footage is far far superior to that of the GP (GoPro). The wide angle footage of the GP is nice but you soon get bored of its unusual wide angle...ness. The Panasonic is also wide angle, but more natural.

The other thing is that Paramotoring is quite a gentle sport compared to others, so the robustness of the unit is kind of wasted. I've been using the Panasonic on my helmet for PPG for nearly 2 years now and it hasn't had one knock.

One other point, is that I can use my Panasonic for everday video (family/holidays etc) as it's a fantastic piece of kit.

In this video I am using the GP on a pole and the Panasonic on my lid. Due to Youtube compression, they both look the same, but trust me the HD video that the Panasonic spits out, watched on a decent flat screen telly, has to be seen to be believed.

With regards to editing, if you use pc, use Cyberlink Powerdirector. You won't be dissapointed. I've done all my videos with this program and it is without a doubt the best.

I've just got myself a Macbook Pro 17", and I like it....a lot. But it was more than twice the price of a similar spec PC laptop. Although I have Final Cut Pro X on it, I've not actually tried video editing on it yet, so I cannot compare. But something tells me that i't's going to be great :)

One last thing. My friend has the GoPro2 and I didn't rate it over my GoPro Hero HD.

Dan

Hi Dan,

what helmet mount do you use for the panasonic SD 600.... :?:

I'm thinking about buying a Panasonic camcorder, and was wondering whether I could use my GoPro mount which I already have fixed to the top of my lid.... :?:

Neil.. :D

Nope.

I had the Panasonic SD also (until it got broke it sending in the post to a mate :-( )

Black tape works well (and a tie off for safety of course)

SW :D

Nope.

I had the Panasonic SD also (until it got broke sending it in the post to a mate :-( )

Black tape works well (and a tie off for safety of course)

Dan

Hi Dan,

what helmet mount do you use for the panasonic SD 600.... :?:

I'm thinking about buying a Panasonic camcorder, and was wondering whether I could use my GoPro mount which I already have fixed to the top of my lid.... :?:

Neil.. :D

Yes you can. That's what I've done

Small amount of preparation required:

You need to buy a GoPro tripod mount (about £8 on Ebay). You then need to convert it from female to male screw. I just got a bolt, screwed it into the GoPro adaptor then hacksawed the top off, leaving me with a male GoPro tripod adaptor.

Then, glue a rubber o ring to the mounting surface of the adaptor.

Sorted :)

P1020899.jpg.514617583212c6c3f0e2e063eda

Hey Poz, how stable is the camera on that small connection? Is it vibrating?

Also, the few people I've seen mounting a proper HD camera on helmet all went for a more stable fix with a custom modeled mount of some sort of polyurethane so that it would have a flat base to lean to, and screw tightened of course.

That would also be better for safety... I keep getting the lines caught in my go-pro helmet mount from time to time while taking off or landing.

Again, another great reason to use tape. :-) It allows the lines to glide over the nice slope of tape. :-)

When mounting my SD700 I used some car sponge under it ( even though the body is a great vibration damper ) and good old Black Nasty tape. ( and a safety line. )

Never had any problems for years.

Again, another great reason to use tape. :-) It allows the lines to glide over the nice slope of tape. :-)

When mounting my SD700 I used some car sponge under it ( even though the body is a great vibration damper ) and good old Black Nasty tape. ( and a safety line. )

Never had any problems for years.

Hey Simon,

do you mean you actually taped the camera body on the helmet, or you taped a custom mount where the camera was hooked to?

I can't imagine to actually tape the camera itself, first I tend to use the cameras elsewhere, plus it will not give it justice to use sticky nasty tape on an expensive piece of equipment ;)

An photo of your mount will be nice

In a word, yes. :-)

I first taped a less than half thickness bit of car sponge covered in black tape to my helmet, and then taped the camera to the helmet.

I used a very short line from the handle loop to the bolt which used to hold an external headset on for when it went wrong (but it never did) :-)

I don't use the SD700 any more but would be happy to continue doing the same when I wanted dynamic shots which required both hands to pilot with.

Hey Poz, how stable is the camera on that small connection? Is it vibrating?

Also, the few people I've seen mounting a proper HD camera on helmet all went for a more stable fix with a custom modeled mount of some sort of polyurethane so that it would have a flat base to lean to, and screw tightened of course.

That would also be better for safety... I keep getting the lines caught in my go-pro helmet mount from time to time while taking off or landing.

I cannot comment on any other way of mounting a video camera to a helmet because I haven't had the need to try and find an alternative. After 122 PPG videos I have never had even the slightest worry that the mount wouldn't hold, it's so solid. Obviously I have a safety line attached just in case.

Vibration has never been an issue as, as Simon correctly stated, the body is a great vibration damper.

I have however, on more than one occasion got the lines caught whilst turning around after landing. Never a big issue though.