A few pointers needed please.....

Hi all

I'm a CP rated pg pilot and am looking at getting into paramotoring. I'm currently wingless so am about to purchase a new wing. The thing is I shall want my wing to perform both free-flight and powered flight. I realise that it is going to be a bit of a compromise, but can anybody help me narrow down the choices to just a few good all-rounders. Preferably ones that come with paramotor risers as standard. I'm a tad on the heavy side (93kg's :oops: ) so shall need something quite meaty.

Another thing to bear in mind is that I have got my heart set on a Bailey v5. Is this unrealistic, as I realise that it is not the most powerful of motors? I just really like the idea of the 4-stroke route. Having read a few reviews of the smooth power delivery of the Bailey unit it just seems to tick the right boxes. I've had my fair share of 2-stroke and four stroke motorbikes so can appreciate what is implied there. So, can anyone suggest a good Bailey/wing combo for my pie-loving figure? I will want to be looking at using it for XC as well as bimbling about.

I shall look into getting some training to coincide with my paramotor purchase but AFTER getting some free-flight hours on my new wing. Any/all input gratefully received. :)

Hi. My own opinions for what they are worth are...............

It would be good to know if you intend to fly with other paramotor pilots.

If so, do they have reflex wings? If they do, and you want to fly with them, then a reflex wing, is probably the way to go, or you might get left behind.

I think, most would agree, that a reflex wing is not quite as good as a full on paraglider wing for paragliding, but its much closer these days.

Most Paraglider pilots who had a go on my reflex wing, thought it was a bit heavy with thicker lines, but once in the air it seemed to work well.

Might be marginal if really scratching looking for lift, but on a good day, they paraglide fine.

One downer is, some of the reflex wings cannot use speed bar with the trims pulled in. You would have to be quick on the trimmers and let them out. Also many of the reflex wings are EN "C" rated with trimmers in.

I had a 2 hour ridge soar at the Long Mynd on a Revo 1 (a long time ago) and over 2 hours in the Isle of Wight on my Fusion. I wasnt the highest, but I wasn't the lowest.

Just my observations.

Hope it helps.

Mike :D:mrgreen::D

For doing both jobs, I would at least take a look into the Paramania Fusion as an option.

SW :D

oh, there's a surprise

other wings are available.... :wink:

it's a good job you already mentioned getting a bailey or simon would have recommended a parajet.... pmsl :lol::lol::lol:

i have an ozone speedster and it does both jobs very well.

I fly a bailey 175 (early one) and flew a v5 at airways the other week, it is lovely,

i am now waiting for asda to have a bumper weekend of sales so i can hold-up the securicor van....

Good to know that you rate the v5 as that is what I've set my heart on. Do you think it might be sufficient for my weight? I also learned to fly at Airways, so might well return there for my paramotor training. Will also look into the Speedster as I do like Ozone's gear. :)

Hi. My own opinions for what they are worth are...............

It would be good to know if you intend to fly with other paramotor pilots.

If so, do they have reflex wings? If they do, and you want to fly with them, then a reflex wing, is probably the way to go, or you might get left behind.

I think, most would agree, that a reflex wing is not quite as good as a full on paraglider wing for paragliding, but its much closer these days.

Most Paraglider pilots who had a go on my reflex wing, thought it was a bit heavy with thicker lines, but once in the air it seemed to work well.

Might be marginal if really scratching looking for lift, but on a good day, they paraglide fine.

One downer is, some of the reflex wings cannot use speed bar with the trims pulled in. You would have to be quick on the trimmers and let them out. Also many of the reflex wings are EN "C" rated with trimmers in.

I had a 2 hour ridge soar at the Long Mynd on a Revo 1 (a long time ago) and over 2 hours in the Isle of Wight on my Fusion. I wasnt the highest, but I wasn't the lowest.

Just my observations.

Hope it helps.

Mike :D:mrgreen::D

Hi Mike

I haven't, as yet, teamed up with any other paramotor pilots, but do intend to. So can't really comment on what I'll be mixing it up with. To be honest I'm not really sure about what constitutes a "reflex wing", and will have to have a bit of a googling session to fill in the gaps. Maybe I should enrol the services of an instructor prior to any decisions. The only thing is that once you get roped in by a school they do try to foist their own brands upon you. Much to be considered, eh?

Get a v5, I love mine. I weigh 80 kilos and get a climb around 350 ft minute. Our personal weight differences isn't that much more than the weight of a full fuel load so I think it would be adequately powerful enough. If I fly mine slow I could stay up for 6 hours! My wing is a 31 Nucleon but a 29 would be better if I wanted to hill fly.

Nige

Glad that the v5 seems to be met with such approval. As regards the wing? I looked at the Speedster on the Ozone website, and, although it looks good, nowhere was it alluded to as being a dual-purpose wing. It seems to be marketed purely as a paramotor wing. Am I wrong? Don't really want to go down the two wings route if I can help it.

And enzo200500? You're playing a dangerous game there, lol :twisted:

Even Parajet have succumb to the power of the V5. You can have a custom parajet with a V5 engine. Good on Parajet for acknowledging a decent engine when they see one.

http://www.parajet.com/paramotors/volution-custom/

I understand the V5 will be out soon with electric start ( we'll have to see how much weight it adds :?: ). All Baileys have to do now is offer a Titanium version & I will be there to upgrade from V4 :D

Just as I buy one they will no doubt come out with the V6 :)

From the Speedster manual :!:

"Although it is designed for pilots who fly mainly (if not exclusively)

under power, the Speedster performs excellently un-powered. The

sink rate is low enough to soar in light lift, thermal in all conditions

and the glide performance is good enough to fly cross country."

From the Speedster manual :!:

"Although it is designed for pilots who fly mainly (if not exclusively)

under power, the Speedster performs excellently un-powered. The

sink rate is low enough to soar in light lift, thermal in all conditions

and the glide performance is good enough to fly cross country."

Ah, thanks for that. Very reassuring. Funnily enough, I was speaking to Rick at Airways earlier (their paramotor guru), and he was extolling the virtues of the Speedster as a dual-purpose wing. But then I guess he would as he sells them, lol. He has offered me a conversion course spanning 4-5 days for a very good price if I buy my wing and v5 off Airways so I'm having a little think at the moment, and trying to get my head around all the possible permutations. And trying to scrape the money together too of course :oops: Will take a peek at the parajet version :D

:mrgreen::D

Hi Mike

I haven't, as yet, teamed up with any other paramotor pilots, but do intend to. So can't really comment on what I'll be mixing it up with. To be honest I'm not really sure about what constitutes a "reflex wing", and will have to have a bit of a googling session to fill in the gaps. Maybe I should enrol the services of an instructor prior to any decisions. The only thing is that once you get roped in by a school they do try to foist their own brands upon you. Much to be considered, eh?

Agreed, which is why I sell as many of them as I can.

I do believe the Fusion is a great wing to consider (as do many others)

It is a mine field for sure, my best advice is to get a test fly first.

SW :D

Hi Simon

I know you are right about a test flight being the way. Thing is, with me not having my PPG rating under my belt yet, I can only test fly the "free flight" side of things. And I'm then gonna be comparing my flight against dedicated free flight wings. And this could well sully my view of a cracking PPG wing. Don't know whether to just book my training and see how well I enjoy the school equipment and take it from there. Well, at least I know which motor I want :D

Hi Simon

I know you are right about a test flight being the way. Thing is, with me not having my PPG rating under my belt yet, I can only test fly the "free flight" side of things. And I'm then gonna be comparing my flight against dedicated free flight wings. And this could well sully my view of a cracking PPG wing. Don't know whether to just book my training and see how well I enjoy the school equipment and take it from there. Well, at least I know which motor I want :D

I would say to do your training first. It will be better to wait till then than to buy a wing now and then find out its not the ideal one for you.

I have had a fusion and i loved it Fast and nimble good enough for most pilots. I never ever had a tuck even tho i flew in some every rough sea breeze fronts. It free flies well but there is a BUT there always is. It is much heavier than a pg wing on the brakes when i free flight and it's not that good in the light conditions. But when the wind get's up it will stay up with all the hangies while all the PG's are on the deck..

I now fly a Speedster. Again fast and nimble. Much more PG like in it's characteristics although lighter on the brakes than the Fusion it's still heavier on the brakes compared to a PG wing. The Speedster will fly in the lighter conditions but again the BUT. In my case it does not go as high up in the wind range.... But if its that windy i will go kiting!!! :wink: The speedster also thermals like a dream but does need to be actively flown. Again PG like

I would defiantly do your conversation then go out and look for kit.. make your list and try them all don't get suckered into buying the first thing you see or think you want. You might change your mind when you have flown it.

Good luck with your conversation and the hunt for your ideal kit.