Carb types- Diaghpragm or Basin?

Looking into some options for a new machine and considering the carb type. Up to now i've always had diaphragm type carbs (Walbro), but now have the choice of a basin (Dell'Orto).

Apparently the Basin offers better fuel efficiency, but are there any drawbacks to the system?

Any feedback on your experiences with this system, pros and cons would be appreciated.

GD

Apparently the Basin offers better fuel efficiency, i not sure any a basin/bowl type of carb would be any different in fuel efficiency because its all in the air/fuel mixture which must be tuned right!

diaghpragm carbs have taken years of development to perfect, they are small, can be mounted in any position and vibration is not an issue, robin

Hi Gordon,

Have a slide/basin type on mine (Bing 32)

Only had possible slight carb ice once. Bugger all adjustment required over different conditions. Simple and effective.

Only downside is you have to drain the bowl if you lay the motor down for transport,

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Gordon,

Have a slide/basin type on mine (Bing 32)

Only had possible slight carb ice once. Bugger all adjustment required over different conditions. Simple and effective.

Only downside is you have to drain the bowl if you lay the motor down for transport,

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Gordon

Which option did you go for? I have exactly the same dillema as you.. Choice of both types of carb at no extra cost.

Diaphragm - Easy to use, proven and can be mounted/ transported in any position

Float bowl - Pros- Better fuel economy and smoother mid range. Negs - Still requires a pump? Needs draining before transport. Icing (?)

Rich

Looking at the Dell'orto option on the Miniplane Top 80... but i think i'm going to go for the Walbro diaphragm carb...

More familiar with the Walbro carbs, not having to worry about emptying the bowl, etc.. sway it for me.

No first hand experience of float bowl carbs, and don't know anyone personally who uses them.

GD

I have a bowl carb on my Yamaha engined paramotor.

I have not noticed any improvement in economy.

I seem to have a bigger power band and a more smooth increase in power.

After doing a spiral I have great difficulty in restarting the engine in flight, I think the carb bowl empties, because it takes lots of priming and cranking to get it started.