Revo 2

I have spoken to someone today who suggests that I go for a Wind Tech Zepher PW, I think.

He seemed to be swaying away from a reflex wing, and gave me some pointers;

1. A reflex wing will colapse much harder if it does and will be more of a jolt.

2. A reflex wing will need more ground speed (running) to get off the ground

3. A reflex wing will come down to land faster also.

4. No wing is perfect, a reflex will still fail in rotor as any other wing.

It seems that Relflex or not Reflex is the issue.

I was led to beleive that they are much safer, but I guess that a certified wing whatever the type is more or less as safe as you can get.

He did seem to know his beans.

Looks like a non relex for me

Beware a sales person who has a non-reflex wing that he desperately wants to sell you.

Statements above are pure B****X!

Remember the reflex section is controllable- you can fly in neutral if you desire...

Just to add to the previous posts - Buy a reflex definately!

I learned a while ago in 1997 and flew for 3 years with a traditional paraglider. I gave up the sport for a few years because I had become borned of flying round the same area, close to my take off field. The wing was unable to make progress into wind, limiting its usefulness in a big way.

I bought a Reaction in 2005 and launched it first time after a 5 year lay off. I am now on my 2nd Reaction and after about 450 hrs on reflex I have never had anything more than a twitch on the wing tips. And that was in extremely rough air while I was going weightless through bouncing up and down. You can't always be sure that the conditions you choose to fly in will remain calm and stable.

Non reflex wings will not give you the same amount of security. An SIV course on recovery techniques will be essential is you want to fly a traditional paraglider.

I am just guessing here but I suspect about 80% of paramotor pilots fly reflex. That must mean something. Perhaps the rest are already expert paraglider pilots with the associated skills required.

John Coutts

I still can't get my head around Reflex. All of the reflex wings with B certification are too small for me, meaning that I have to go to an EN C wing if I want reflex. My current wing is EN A, which seems like a big jump in safety to me.

Essentially what the certification says is that a collapse on a C rated wing is going to be much more severe than on an A wing.

Since I cannot rule out the fact that I will have a collapse (even on a reflex wing), is it not still safer to be on the ENA wing?

i.e. when a collapse does occur (because eventually it will) then ENA may still be flying whereas the ENC could be a mess on the ground?

Pity the Revo/Airflex don't come in larger sizes.

Since I cannot rule out the fact that I will have a collapse (even on a reflex wing)

Why?

Do you like extremely rough air?

Fly in smooth air - no collapse, what's the problem?

Watch the weather, if it changes drastically just land (as anyone would).

Just my 2p worth,

Alan

Why?

No, not really, makes me unwell :oops: but you never know what nature is going to throw at you. A freak thermal or strong gust. Not a matter of if but when, even in smooth conditions.

I think the general concensus here, from experienced pilots..... is 'Buy a reflex wing'.

Sure weather can catch you out sometimes, but if you've been properly trained, by a proper instructor- then you can read the warning signs... If you have any doubt on what the weather is doing- then don't fly. (Rule: 'If there's doubt, then no-doubt, don't fly). Live by this, and it will keep you right.

GD

Im 85 kgs and fly a Revo 2 23... Love it...No problems at all and maybe only slightly faster landings ( sometimes )

I fly with a Vol Macro 2

Used to fly a Revo 1 28... Super safe and would nt have changed it , other than i felt like a change .

Rarely alter the trim on the 23 , usually fly on the No3 setting , i find this suits me just fine , and the trimmers are a complete arse to adjust . Have been through lots of rough conditions , and i would never leave it on full reflex when being thrown about . I find it better on the 3rd setting with a touch of pilot input ...

So glad i changed to a 23...Quicker , handles well , and when it does get rough , its a lot more forgiving .

Why?

No, not really, makes me unwell :oops: but you never know what nature is going to throw at you. A freak thermal or strong gust. Not a matter of if but when, even in smooth conditions.

I agree...even in the calmest of conditions , i ve had a sudden Whooopsee , and could nt see , or feel , any reason for it .

The thing is , you may be 40 mls from where you set off , and an hour or so later in the day , so you d have to be a genius to predict the weather 100% ...( Mind you , theres a few around here who think they can !! )