Repairing my netting, and replacing a propeller...

An ominous title for a post!

I was warming up my motor on the ground a week or two ago, and obviously was braced against it incorrectly because I slipped on the wet grass, and the motor fell forwards. The prop glanced off my arm through the netting on the way down, and hit the ground. As you can see from the pic, the netting has been shredded in a couple of places, and the tips of my prop are damaged.

I'm lucky I was wearing a couple of layers, or the tiny lumps it took out of my arm would have been larger! I'm also firmly in the camp of only warming the motor up when it is on my back now.....

I'm keen to get the machine fixed, but I'm not sure how to go about repairing the netting? It is lax at the moment. The edges are riveted on to the three part cage.

Also with regards to the prop: The original is a 130cm three bladed carbon prop, on my fly products flash 100 motor. Direct replacement is very expensive. Given that I am a beginner and there is a chance I will break a prop again I'm keen to go for something less expensive. Does it need to be like for like? Will I suffer for replacing with a two blade? I'd be grateful for recommendations of where people have bought replacement props from..

Thanks

George

paramotor2.jpg.df0349ba8e267d313d82efd6a

Hi George,

Give me a call please mate.

This sort of thing happening is exactly why I say that you shouldn't fly on your own and also why we need to get you signed off properly. If you'd had a more serious incident, maybe while flying, nobody would be there to help.

You're at the most dangerous and vulnerable stage right now where you know how to take off and land but haven't been signed off due to not knowing the Air Laws. We need to make sure you know your Air Law and Navigation and I really would like you to sit the exam (Remember it's free!). Most importantly, the PPG-1 Rating says that while you are cleared to fly, it recommends highly that you do not fly on your own.

If you're going to be flying from Barry's give one of the Surrey lads a call or a forum post or give me a ring and I'll come and fly with you. But first-off, come over and let's get you sitting that exam. It isn't going to cost you anything.

Hope you get the motor sorted and please give me a call.

All the best

Steve

Hi

George if your stuck for a place to fly then come on down to hambrook if there is no one to fly with up in your area... Steve is right you should not really be flying alone...... Esp as you have just got your self into the air.......

Steve..... With all due respect i dont think knowing your air law would have saved him on this one!!!!!! :lol: I for one think you should not warm up your motor on the ground... I know i do it esp on a light wind forward launch day. but the Bailey is heavey and i never rev it fully plus it floods if i lean over to much :roll: ...... :roll:

Hi,

With regard to repairing the netting, I am not sure of the official way, but if it were me I think I would drill out the old pop rivets and just replace the whole netting.

I am not sure of where you would get the netting to match exactly what you have, but if you get stuck, most chandlerys have netting on the roll.

Barry

Morgy,

Yeah I did word that a bit wrong.

The Air Law bit was just an addition to the fact that while George does know how to take off, he doesn't know the other necessary bits yet.

My main point was about going for a flight on your own at this stage. It's the most dangerous time.

Anyway...George and I have spoken on the phone and he's going to complete his training the week after next, hopefully.

George, - regarding the motor, like I said, if you can get hold of some decent netting I can give you a hand with the rivet removal and replacement.

All the best

Steve

Thanks for the offers of flying buddies!

I'm going to get a 2 bladed prop to replace my three bladed, and see how that goes. Has been designed for my engine apparently. Also going to invest in some netting and see if I can replace my broken stuff...

With the spare time whilst my machine is out of action, I have made a short video from a flight in Surrey. Part of my navigation task!

Have a look

George

George,

Contact Clive Bunce. I'm sure he'd be willing to sell you some netting. This arrangement is the same as the initial Bulldog netting (now riveted and cable tied - you'll know what I mean when you see it.) You'll need to rivet the new netting in - easily done.

Prop: Have a look at:

http://www.born-propeller.de/Propeller/ ... s/Sky-100/

I was pleased with one I bought from them a year or so ago.

Give me a call when you're flying if you like.

Nice vid 8)

Regards,

Luke

:dive:

Thanks Luke

I've ended up buying a prop from the Romanian site as you suggested as I was getting radio silence from the UK shop I had tried.

I've also bought some netting which is used to protect driving ranges from close range golf balls, so I hope it should be sturdy enough

Hope you are looking after St. Peter's!

Thanks Luke

I've ended up buying a prop from the Romanian site as you suggested as I was getting radio silence from the UK shop I had tried.

I've also bought some netting which is used to protect driving ranges from close range golf balls, so I hope it should be sturdy enough

Hope you are looking after St. Peter's!

Out of curiosity where did you buy the netting?