What's the best thottle?

flymike

Have a search on previous posts about the Cameleon finger throttle. Not the cheapest but it is the best. 8)

http://www.paramotorclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5753&start=15&hilit=cameleon

The best in your opinion :!:

Yes, that goes without saying but in terms of the original query about "usability" I find it best for launch, flying, operating cameras & other equipment etc - due to the ergonomics, location of buttons, cruise control etc. Everyone I know who has actually tried it has bought one and loves it.

In terms of durability the Parajet throttle would stand up to much more abuse, Flymecc (and others) have incorporated useful additions such as low fuel warning light or rev counter, and the Nirvana carbon throttle is very light, comfortable and sexy (IMO of course) :wink:

Have a search on previous posts about the Cameleon finger throttle. Not the cheapest but it is the best. 8)

http://www.paramotorclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5753&start=15&hilit=cameleon

The best in your opinion :!:

Yes, that goes without saying but in terms of the original query about "usability" I find it best for launch, flying, operating cameras & other equipment etc - due to the ergonomics, location of buttons, cruise control etc. Everyone I know who has actually tried it has bought one and loves it.

In terms of durability the Parajet throttle would stand up to much more abuse, Flymecc (and others) have incorporated useful additions such as low fuel warning light or rev counter, and the Nirvana carbon throttle is very light, comfortable and sexy (IMO of course) :wink:

:D

This looks interesting...

Certainly looks interesting, well finished and durable, but maybe a bit bulky or heavy ? The throttle trigger looks nicer than a brake lever type, but not sure how ergonomic it would be - especially during launch or for fine control when wearing gloves ?

Looks like a pistol with the barrel removed - so an instant hit for the U.S.A. market ! :)

Sussed out!! :-)

indeed I made it from some alloy which I polished and Carbon fibre which I made.

Its less bulky than the standard PJ one, and I built it with forward launching in mind. :-)

ll machined out with my new mill.

total weight = 75 gm, which I am sure will make it the lightest available.

Has anyone noticed the two LED lights?

SW :D

The finger throttle looks interesting, but could someone who uses one tell me how it actually works? It says on the website that it is digital - does that mean it requires batteries or a power feed? Does it use a throttle cable, or is there some sort of servo that manipulates the carb? The website mentions '8 positions' - does the power increase in steps over these 8 throttle positions or does it increase smoothly? Would also be interested where the kill switch is located - I couldn't see it in the image.

Cheers, Dug

Did spot the LED's Si, I'm just wondering if they could be recessed a bit more as a line being dragged across the side of the handle could snap them? Or maybe incorporate some sort of shoulder around the LED to lessen their 'protrusion', for want of a better word!!

Could you not make one entierly out of carbon sheeting for the body?

Looks good though. :D

Clear, Pod type object to cover LED's is very much on the cards :-)

I could recess them flush in the next version for sure. ( I underestimated the length of the LED's by about 4/5 mm for this one.

Well spotted.

SW :D

The finger throttle looks interesting, but could someone who uses one tell me how it actually works? It says on the website that it is digital - does that mean it requires batteries or a power feed? Does it use a throttle cable, or is there some sort of servo that manipulates the carb? The website mentions '8 positions' - does the power increase in steps over these 8 throttle positions or does it increase smoothly? Would also be interested where the kill switch is located - I couldn't see it in the image.

Cheers, Dug

Dug, the "digital" just means it is operated by a single digit (finger) of your right or left hand. I believe there is a completely wireless throttle used by some comp pilots but I've never seen it. The Cameleon just uses a regular cable (much safer IMO).

The '8 positions' is a kind of ratchet system once you have switched the cruise control on, which allows you to fine tune the rpm with your throttle finger (just with more resistance than usual). With cruise control off the power / throttle control is completely linear and stepless like any normal throttle.

The kill switch is part of the big orange on/off switch, which is easy to press with your thumb and does not need to be held in like some kill buttons. The same switch also starts the motor (with a firm push).

A few clearer images here: http://www.paratour.com/content/chameleon.php

Alan

The Pi-Wi wireless throttle has been around for a while, but only seems to create more complications than it resolves, with more stuff that could go wrong : http://www.pi-wi.fr/Pi-Wi.php

The cable itself has never bothered or restricted me - just the size, shape, weight and 'feel' of some throttles - which is why I prefer the ergonomics of the Cameleon to any other that I've seen or tried.

• 7 months later...

That one sold to a well known (but apparently diminishing) forum member on here .... :lol:

Best ordering direct from AEF gliders - if you email Gerard he's a top bloke and will sort a reasonable postage cost. The current version is made from new thermoplastic material - apparently unbreakable. He sent me some test pieces to take to the next fly-in for people to jump on !