Other engine kill option?

Hi, I have a Parajet Macro and was wondering about another engine kill option should the kill button fail.

The on / off switch doesn't kil the engine. The only other options I could think of was to pull out the fuel pipe from the tank - which is not realistic / safe as it is near the exhaust. And to pull the HT lead and disconnect the power to the spark, might get a shock though.

Anyone fitted an extra engine kill option?

Thanks

Stuart :)

Hi Stuart, I posted this on another thread a few months back:

I added a kill cord to my last 2 paramotors as they are standard equipment with powerboats, jet-skis, dirt bikes, quads etc. I've had 2 throttle kill switches fail - one through dirt getting in the switch, the other through a broken wire.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATV-KILL-TETHER-KILL-SWITCH-Deadman-cord-/250768504618?pt=UK_CartsParts_Vehicles_ATVQuad_Trike_Parts_Accessories_SM&hash=item3a62f7b72a

The kill cord is easy to reach with either hand while strapped in, or when starting the motor on the ground. It is bright red so easy for another person to see & pull if anything goes wrong. If I had to throw the reserve, the kill cord is routed over the bridle so automatically releases it and kills the engine. A cheap & simple mod that should be fitted as standard to all motors (IMO).

I could post pics but you can easily find a suitable place to mount it on the Parajet frame. Just check your wiring first as there are 2 types. On mine (Simonini) the kill switch (and cord) complete the circuit when activated, grounding the 2 terminals at the coil so preventing any spark being produced.

Regards, Alan

You could make it totally independent by adding a normally closed kill switch between the stator pick-up and coil .....

..... or just go for the cheap & simple option of a piece of string tied to the spark plug cap, to be pulled if required ! :lol:

Parajets don't have fuel primers, Gordon.

So probably the next thing to do would be either starve the engine of air by blocking the airbox inlets, or very carefully reaching through and slidingthe choke on. (The Parajet has the strip of metal that can be slid across the manifold)

I would advise that you get someone else to help hold the motor while you did this as these options aren't possible if you are strapped in and you can't unstrap easily as the Parajet prop isn't clutch driven so would be spinning at idle revs and pushing forwards a bit.

But that kill switch tether seems a good idea to me!

All the best

This was in paramotor mag a while back....

Turn off main ignition switch if you have one

If you have a remote choke, pull it on and apply throttle

If you can reach air intake safely, cover it with your hand

If you have a primer bulb pump it to flood the engine

Cover the end of the exhaust. Do not attempt this if prop is spinning.

Press the pin on the membrane on the carb

Kink fuel lines and/or close fuel tank breather

pull off the spark plug cap. Be very careful of getting electrocuted

Parajets don't have fuel primers, Gordon.

So probably the next thing to do would be either starve the engine of air by blocking the airbox inlets, or very carefully reaching through and slidingthe choke on. (The Parajet has the strip of metal that can be slid across the manifold)

I would advise that you get someone else to help hold the motor while you did this as these options aren't possible if you are strapped in and you can't unstrap easily as the Parajet prop isn't clutch driven so would be spinning at idle revs and pushing forwards a bit.

But that kill switch tether seems a good idea to me!

All the best

You could always drill a small hole in the choke plate and fit a small stiff wire to it and have it as a remote choke.

This was in paramotor mag a while back....

Turn off main ignition switch if you have one

If you have a remote choke, pull it on and apply throttle

If you can reach air intake safely, cover it with your hand

If you have a primer bulb pump it to flood the engine

Cover the end of the exhaust. Do not attempt this if prop is spinning.

Press the pin on the membrane on the carb

Kink fuel lines and/or close fuel tank breather

pull off the spark plug cap. Be very careful of getting electrocuted

Thanks for the suggestions, I was thinking about a secondary option "during flight" so many of these would not help me unless I wanted to lose fingers or burn my hands :roll: The main on/off switch doesn't kill the engine.

I reckon I'll look into a separate kill switch.

Cheers

Stuart