Advice on pmr radio/headset

I have got myself a cheepo pmr radio (binatone action950) it has a single connector for the mic/headset.

I got a cheap kenwood headset from HK on ebay and retro fitted it into the ear defenders (peltor) on my icaro helmet, I then got an adapter from Maplins to plug it into my radio... the headphones work great but the mic does not work at all :(

So I have scrapped that idea as it only cost me £5.99 for the headset and am now looking at being less tight and splashing out on a decent headset. I would like to be able to plug it into my pmr radio,iphone, and possibly airband in the future so i recon that the micro avionics pm-100 is best suited for the job ??? and it should fit into my helmet as it has the peltor attachment points and I believe micro avionics are peltor based?

So the reason for the post is to try and establish if the headset will work with the cheap pmr radio before I spend a wad of cash :-)

Any advice muchly appreciated :-)

Tom :D

It will almost certainly be due to there being variations in the plug connections that are used for each task (phones/mic/PTT). There can also be issues with the way that the PTT actual commands the radio to go into transmit mode.

These connections can be manufacturer specific, and it can be a bit of a pain to work them out. T'internet can be your friend, as once you know the connection pattern, it's usually pretty straightforward to rearrange the wires. Google on the radio brand and something like 'headset connections', as the chances are someone will have done it before.

If you aren't prepared to rewire a generic headset, or make up an adapter, then you can be stuck with radio manufacturer specific headsets.

Phil

the 2.5mm jack plugs are called T.R.S connections.

T.R.S standing for , tip, ring and sleeve.

I think for the binatone 950's the tip is for the mic, the ring is for the speaker/earpeice and the sleeve is the common or ground.

Thanks for info, found this on google.

Does any one know of a PMR radio that does work with the micro avionics headset (plug in with no adapter and work) ? I don't mind buying a new one if it's going to work straight away :D

Tom :D

Hi chaps,

I've been doing some research myself into the speaker /mic connection for some PMR446 radios with some interesting results.

The 'standard' connections with a twin 3.5/2.5mm jack are phones on the 3.5mm jack and mic on the 2.5mm jack, with a small current draw when the mic is connected by pressing the PTT to put the radio into transmit.

Firstly Tom.

I have a cheap Binatone and it is definately not standard connections. The mic connector just disconnects the internal mic and takes audio from the external. There is no PTT sensing on this connection. The only way I could get the radio to transmit was to set the radio for the VOX function (voice operated transmit) and when the external PTT is pressed the mic is connected and speaking will key the radio.

Now a little more technical, the 3.5mm connector for the phones does not have a common or ground connection. Both sleeve and tip are driven with speaker signals (+ and -) in order to be louder with only a low battery voltage.

With most twin 3.5/2.5mm moulded jack plugs/leads, both sleeve connections are common/ground. Using one of these could damage the audio output of the radio. I have modified my headset connections and a speaker/microphone to ensure that both sleeve connections are not connected together.

I think that there are PMR sets made by Alan and Midland that use the 'standard' connections, possibly available from Maplins.

Secondly BT Freeway PMR.

With this radio the two sleeve connections are not common, the 2.5mm sleeve is used for the PTT!!!! how wierd is that. If you plug a standard 3.5/2.5mm jack in it goes into transmit and theres no way to stop it :shock:

Cheers,

Alan

Alan,

It sounds about right why would they have a "standard" that would just make it too easy for people to understand!! :D I guess thats why I had no mic or ptt working.

Im going to get the micro avionice headset and as Fanman has suggested the Midland G7 I will get one of those to save any messing about.

Thanks for the info Alan, and thanks for the tip Fanman.

Tom :acro:

I have tried all sorts of radios and always keep coming back to the G7. Have been using them for a couple of years now. They are not particularly cheap but come as a pair with a charger. They are (were?) the only PMR Eddie Cartwright (MicroAvionics) used to recommend. I believe you can use any aftermarket antenna to replace the fitted one by freezing the unit which weakens the epoxy that holds the antenna on. It should then crack and unscrew but don't hold me responsible because I have never tried it!

• 2 weeks later...

Or... pick up a no brand headset off ebay to gut for the mic. Buy a set of the best Peltor ear defeders. Aquire a set of Heasets inc ANR speaker modules and spend a bit of time and effort fitting them together.

If it work out right, you get a headset that is visually almost identical to the micro-avionics stuff, has as good a noise reduction factor as the very best MicroAvionics one, but will hopefully cost you not much more than £100 or so.

Not a solution for everyone, but if you're good with a dremel and soldering iron it can work VERY well and cheap as chips (well, almost).

Phil

Buy a set of the best Peltor ear defenders. Phil

Second that. Peltor Optime 3. Even without ANR they work very well. Cut the ear pieces off cheap stereo headphones and they wedge across the ear cup a treat. Here is the set I made up:

• 3 weeks later...
Gave in and bourght a twin pack of g7's from ebay and the microavionics headset from ukppg. Just don't tell the wife!!!!!!!!

Will try and think of a way to explain it when the boxes turn up :?:lol::lol:

Ordered a set of G7 from maplins at 4pm yesterday and they came today :D

• 2 weeks later...

I still recomend the Midland G7. Its basic, but tends to work quite well and is the ' standard' pinout connections.

PMR radios can only transmitt up to 1/2 or 1/3rd of a watt (forgot the exact amount). The Midland G7 can be made to TX at 3 watt. You just have to open the radio, which is very easy, even for an unskilled person, then cut two wire loops on the circuit board. You then have a very powerful radio compared to other PMR. Just don't use it as it's now been modified outside it's certificated use..... or just use a 2m band radio, they are just as ilegal, as you are not allowed to use them in the air on frequencies that are for other use (military I think).

I have a exhibition stand at the PPG nats in 10 days. If anybody wants to try a headset or one of our new high power strobes, then pop over to see me.

Regards,

Eddie Cartwright

MicroAvionics UK Ltd

Ok, plug allowed Ed,......

Please start a new thread in the 'other' section and give us the info on the new strobe, and PM me the dealer info :-)

SW :D