Gps on plane??

gazza_c

Morning all,was just wondering if anyone could tell whether its allowed to take a gps on a plane? Im going abroad end of month and thought it'll be good to take along! Ive searched on google and got alot of mixed reviews,some saying yes and others said no

cheers

Depends on the airline, take it and try,

the worst thing that can happen is they tell you to turn it off.

I've used mine with several airlines. I don't use it during landing or take off phases, as that just winds up the flight attendants, regardless of whether it does or doesn't cause any problems.

If you ASK if you can use it, you will quite probably be told 'no', so I tend to follow Pete's advice, and use it unless someone says stop. If you are discrete, they will probably just think it's an MP3 player if you wear a pair of headphones ;-)

You may find reception is a problem however, as you tend only to be able to pick up the 'birds' on one side of the aircraft, through your window.

Phil

The back pages of the inflight magazine usually stipulate what you can use.... Most airlines do not allow GPS units, but some dont mention them- dosen't mean they are allowed though. I know a few guys that have been asked to turn them off during flights- but it's mainly because the stewardeses thought they were mobile phones.... You could try argueing with a stewardess... but i wouldn't recommend it- especially on US bound flights.....

Just to back up Phils comments, I've used a fairly large Garmin 196 (GA) on several flights.

The first time, I played it by the book and asked a member of the cabin crew if it would be ok. She took it to the captain and he said that he had no objection provided I didn't use it on take off or landings, to which I adhered. (Not sure I understand about the take off and landing restrictions :? )

I think my fellow passengers found it more disconcerting than anyone of the flight crew. We do live in suspicious/ paranoid days.

Also, you will need to hold it near to the window in order for it to see the sky.

Have to say it's mildly amusing to see nearly 500knts on the display. However, once the novelty wears off, my Archos PVR was much more interesting and made the time pass much quicker.

I don't think that that a GPS, designed to be used in an aircraft, will upset any of the flight systems on board. But there is one person who above all of us is in a better position to answer this question... Over to you Norman.

Dan

Edited by Guest

I don't think that that a GPS, designed to be used in an aircraft, will upset any of the flight systems on board. But there is one person who above all of us is in a better position to answer this question... Over to you Norman.

Dan

I'd have to agree.... afterall.... the GPS unit is only a low power multichannel reciever...

GD