Bent Cage

Can anyone tell me the best way to sort out a bent stainless cage on a PAP?

Its not too bad,still flyable but had a bad take off and rammed the bottom section into the ground where the base of the frame meets the main hoop .Can I wack it back without taking everything off (Engine,petrol tank etc)

Prop still clears it by about 35 mm at the bottom and the side but the clearance at the top of the cage is about 100mm.

Two stupid mistakes caused it.

1: Aborted a take off but the wing came down in such a way that unless I unhooked and laid out the wing again I would be turning the opposite way to the way I always turn.Only a small thing but enough to confuse me a little.

2:Vario strap on leg slipped down on my run down the field.I tried to pull it back rather than abort take off.

Lesson learned,2 small things = me not in full control= broken prop and missing out on the best evening for weeks.

STUPID

Mate,

I have the same situation with my PAP after a bump. But I have 50mm clearance at the bottom and roughly the same as you have elsewhere.

I tried pulling it out with all and sundry still bolted together - no luck.

I then noticed that it appears the engine has sort of slumped down the frame a fraction on its rubber mountings bringing it nearer to the bottom hoop. The mountings are fine and its flyable.................................think I will carry on and if I get another bump then have it looked at.

Not a lot of help I know.

Mike

Can anyone tell me the best way to sort out a bent stainless cage on a PAP?

Its not too bad,still flyable but had a bad take off and rammed the bottom section into the ground where the base of the frame meets the main hoop .Can I wack it back without taking everything off (Engine,petrol tank etc)

Prop still clears it by about 35 mm at the bottom and the side but the clearance at the top of the cage is about 100mm.

Two stupid mistakes caused it.

1: Aborted a take off but the wing came down in such a way that unless I unhooked and laid out the wing again I would be turning the opposite way to the way I always turn.Only a small thing but enough to confuse me a little.

2:Vario strap on leg slipped down on my run down the field.I tried to pull it back rather than abort take off.

Lesson learned,2 small things = me not in full control= broken prop and missing out on the best evening for weeks.

STUPID

You will most probably find that the main uprights in the frame behind the harness have bent where the lower engine mounts fit.

I had this with a friends pap and we took the harness and prop off laid it on its back then we put a piece of 100mm x 50mm timber across the frame where the bend was using shorter lengths of the same size put on top we built it up to about 400mm high.

You then need a large ratchet strap hook one end on the bottom of the frame and the other end on the top of the frame then tighten as you do the timber will push down on the bend and will take it out, be carefull not to bend the frame where you have hooked the rachet strap on.

You have to over bend as the stainless will spring back.

I know its hard to imagine but its the easiest way to do it.

If I can I will try to do a diagram.

Edited by Guest